SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    You've heard about the 12 year old boy booted from school for having a Gadsden Flag patch on his backpack...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You've heard about the 12 year old boy booted from school for having a Gadsden Flag patch on his backpack... Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
In case you don't, the story is here, Twitter vid of boy and his mother meeting with school official is embedded in that article.

Well, I think this kid may have started something. Dig it:

https://twitter.com/DC_Draino/.../1696596735986909632

Posts: 107719 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
I fly the Gadsden, right below the US flag, and above the POW/MIA.

More, but media attempts to confuse source, unless we have a lot of these going around, with multiple kids named Jaiden:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/...response-viral-video

Democrat Colorado governor calls Gadsden flag 'proud symbol' of American Revolution in response to viral video
Colorado youth removed from classroom for having flag patch on his backpack
Gabriel Hays By Gabriel Hays Fox News
Published August 29, 2023 4:00pm EDT

EEOC to decide if Gadsden flag is racial harassment
Controversy swirls around the "Don't Tread on Me" flag.

After being urged to respond to the news that a young student at a Colorado charter school was kicked out of class for having a Gadsden flag patch on his backpack, Gov. Jared Polis, D-Colo., took to social media to defend the flag as a "proud symbol of the American [R]evolution."

Conservatives on social media replied by urging the governor to do something about the school disciplining the student for displaying the famous "Don’t Tread on Me" flag.

Polis made his comments on X, formerly known as Twitter, on Tuesday after a viral video showed the 12-year-old student of The Vanguard School in Colorado Springs in a meeting with a school administrator and his mother after he was removed from class for having the patch on his backpack.

jared polis
Gov. Jared Polis, D-Colo., recently commented on the "proud" legacy of the Gadsden flag after a young student in his state was kicked out of class for wearing one on his backpack. (Hyoung Chang / Denver Post / File)

During the meeting, which appeared to be filmed by the student’s mother, the school staff member informed them both that young Jaiden would not be allowed to return to class because the patch may be problematic for other students because of its "origins with slavery."

Jaiden’s mother debated the school staff member throughout the meeting, arguing that the flag originated during the American Revolution as a symbol of the 13 colonies’ fight against the British Crown and did not promote slavery.

Still, the school staffer insisted that "the bag can’t go back if it’s got the patch on it because we can’t have that in and around other kids."

The faculty member then told Jaiden’s mother that The Vanguard School’s director of operations, Jeff Yocum, could help her better understand the policy.

Email correspondence between the mother and Yocum revealed the director’s stance that the Gadsden flag has been associated with racist groups and has been interpreted by some as a racially charged symbol, thus justifying the policy.

Once news of the video and subsequent correspondence made it to social media, it generated backlash from conservatives who demanded Polis to speak about it.

After influencer The Redheaded Libertarian and Libertas Institute President Connor Boyack – the author and activist who broke Jaiden’s story – asked Polis to weigh in, the governor replied on X.

Polis posted, "Obviously the Gadsden flag is a proud symbol of the American revolution and [an] iconic warning to Britain or any government not to violate the liberties of Americans. It appears on popular American medallions and challenge coins through today and Ben Franklin also adopted it to symbolize the union of the 13 colonies."

The Gadsden flag
12-year-old The Vanguard School student Jaiden met with his mother and school staff after he was kicked out of class for a "Don't Tread on Me" flag patch on his backpack. (Jon Cherry / Getty Images / File)

The governor added, "It’s a great teaching moment for a history lesson!"

Despite the post appearing to defend the legacy of the flag, more users demanded that Polis take action against the school for attempting to punish Jaiden.

The Spectator contributing editor Stephen L. Miller posted, "Perhaps you [can] educate your educators then."

My comment follows:
------------------------
Polis is still an asshole, trying to save his job.

Posts: 4024 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
This is in Colorado Springs, right? I mean, far right?
Isn't it the home of a bunch of evangelical organizations like Focus on the Family?
You can't trust schools anywhere.
Go Jared!

Posts: 18089 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
The Babylon Bee has their usual out-of-the-park story:

quote:
Kid Suspended For Being In Possession Of History Book With U.S. Flag On Cover
DENVER, CO — A local 6th grader has been suspended and sent home from school after he was found to be in possession of a history textbook with an offensive image of an American flag on the cover.

"This imagery is unacceptable," said Marsha Jackson-Rodriguez-Ketanja, the school's principal. "How any young person could possibly believe that a school is the proper place to bring this textbook is unconscionable. History class is intended to be a safe space where students can be protected from all images that have origins in slavery — like this offensive, awful flag."

The boy, Tristan Lupascu, was undeterred by the suspension. "It's literally the flag of this country," he told reporters questioning him about the incident. "How is it supposed to be wrong to show the American flag in an American school? Plus, it's the textbook they gave us. I'm just the only kid who decided to bring the book to class. This is tyranny. Don't tread on me, fascists!"

The school and its district offices were soon bombarded with calls, emails, and social media posts demanding answers. "These calls from angry parents have been extremely traumatizing for our staff," said Jackson-Rodriguez-Ketanja. "All of our teachers had to go to therapy. We were forced to report the parents to the FBI for our own safety."

At publishing time, the boy's teacher and the school's principal had offered no comment after they were surprised to learn the offensive flag shown on the cover of the textbook was, in fact, the flag that represents the United States, and that numerous flags just like it were prominently displayed around the school itself.

Posts: 18089 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
The original article made it look like North Carolina. A name and media search turned it up far closer to my current home. The Bee made it something else. But very enjoyable.

@sjtill, I will be in San Diego for the Miramar show, shall we have a beverage?

Posts: 4024 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Apparently, they folded already and are trying to patch things up. The only educated decision the “educators” have made.

https://revolver.news/2023/08/...ring-representation/

If you’re interested in a vendor, I’ve bought from these folks before and am pleased.

https://gadsdenandculpeper.com...-tread-on-me-patches

0:01

Posts: 4215 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Ha ha Big Grin

Fuck sticks! They just flail around, no rhyme or reason, and then end up looking like the jackass fools they are.

And all they had to do to avoid this embarrassment (and you can bet your bottom dollar that they are embarrassed) is to just leave it alone. That's all, just don't fuck with the kid, claiming that you're "doing it for the children" when, in fact, you're doing it because of your personal political views.

But noooooooooo. That would require a measure of self-control, and we know how that goes with lefties, don't we? Yes, we do! Big Grin

The direct pipeline we call 'social media' actually does have a positive use after all, doesn't it?

I'll bet that how quickly this blew up surprised the shit out of the commie school administrators. I imagine they had no idea whatsoever that this would get any attention at all.

Lesson learned, then? Not a fucking chance. After all, they're leftists! Big Grin

OK, then SIGforum, nighty-night. What a great way to end the day.

Posts: 107719 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The video with the teacher looking like a dolt is internet gold for the rest of her life.

Posts: 4783 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Wow! I'm surprised at the CO Democrat governor.

Q

Posts: 26468 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
The 12 year-old boy is more educated than the "educator". He probably needs to find a new school in order to avoid having his intellectual development handicapped by idiots.

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I wear it on my uniform everyday, along with about 80% of all other Navy personnel I work with.

I wonder if they’d ask service members to leave the school.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6340 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Wow! I'm surprised at the CO Democrat governor.

Not the response I would've expected, and yes he's still an asshole, but I appreciate that he gave an accurate take on the flag in this case.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30427 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gadsden Flag

I do my best not to keep up with current political discourse and so to admit my ignorance I had to actually look up the Gadsden Flag.... which is just the old 'Don't Tread on Me" Flag... is it being used for some specific cause now or what?
Kid sure did make a point about how easy it is to have a double standard.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ranger41
posted Hide Post
In Virginia the Gadsden flag is one of the popular license plate options.

"The world is too dangerous to live in-not because of the people who do evil, but because of the people who sit and let it happen." (Albert Einstein)

Posts: 958 | Location: Rural Virginia - USA | Registered: May 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x0225095:
Apparently, they folded already and are trying to patch things up. The only educated decision the “educators” have made.

https://revolver.news/2023/08/...ring-representation/

If you’re interested in a vendor, I’ve bought from these folks before and am pleased.

https://gadsdenandculpeper.com...-tread-on-me-patches

Did I miss the apology they should have given him?

Posts: 7022 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wasabi
posted Hide Post
I'll vote for this kid as President someday.

Posts: 731 | Location: Lutz, FL | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
The ignorance of the school administrator and her smug attitude is appalling. I’m sorry someone’s little feelings were hurt. Maybe if history was still taught in school, we wouldn’t need safe spaces for the sheep to cry.

Posts: 2968 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Typical knee-jerk reaction by a sanctimonious liberal know-it-all know-nothing.

Refreshing to see these idiots eat crow.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5488 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post

Posts: 19603 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
The video with the teacher looking like a dolt is internet gold for the rest of her life.

Yep, an idiot, thinly disguised by mock authority.

https://twitter.com/cboyack/st...ng-representation%2F

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16725 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post