SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Are 320's safe or not?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are 320's safe or not? Login/Join 
posted
I carry a P320 compact. I just love it. Perfect size for my hand, and good amount of ammo. It is a later production model which has the internals changed so it's not supposed to fire by itself or when dropped as you well know. I just saw a video the other day where a guy was at a range, didn't even have his finger inside the guard, and it went off. What the heck? I'm really leery about carrying this thing now. There is always a round in the tube, it is my last ditch self defense weapon. Now I don't trust it. What say ye??

Posts: 8 | Location: FLORIDA | Registered: February 03, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I say I don't believe it.

Posts: 3658 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I've carried my P320C almost daily since I bought it. It's never gone off without my finger on the trigger.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15235 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 3. So far, none have gone off without me actually pulling the trigger. And how about posting a link to the video you saw? Lots of people here would want to see it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16054 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No issues with me.

Posts: 17213 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SunFunGuy:
I carry a P320 compact. I just love it. Perfect size for my hand, and good amount of ammo. It is a later production model which has the internals changed so it's not supposed to fire by itself or when dropped as you well know.

The 'Voluntary Upgrade' had nothing to do with resolving any 'firing by itself' issue. It provided a 'Disconnector' to eliminate OOB (Out of Battery) discharges and enhanced the 'Drop Safety' performance of the Pistol by removing mass/inertia from the Trigger, Sear, and Striker such that it could not discharge when dropped at a particular angle. Though SIG always 'drop tested' the P320 prior to the Voluntary Upgrade, they now drop test it at over twenty-something different angles!

Is the P320 Safe, yes! It's users however, are apparently NOT immune to stupidity! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8851 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If you think the P320 is capable of "firing all by itself" you should sell it and avoid firearms altogether.

Call me cynical, but this look like trolling to me, and nothing but. This is damn silly.

Posts: 107407 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I don't have any self-firing SIGs, but I would like to see the video. Can you post a link?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30627 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Probably the video where the guy claims he sent it to Sig and they did something to the firing pin and he is still scared to touch it....

I'm with Para.... I took a Sig P320 compact to a 4 day defensive hand gun class twice and put close to 700 rounds through it both times and the dern thing never even came close to firing all on its own.
Oh, and never malfunctioned once.

And now thinking about V-tail's post... with just about every gun range on the planet now having close circuit cameras... why don't we have a video of one of these self firing P320s?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Are they safe or not? I guess it depends on which end you're standing on.

I'd have no issues owning/carrying one.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17263 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
No. They are addictive, just like the P226.

Posts: 9133 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Is it safe?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30627 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
If you're talking about this video, he says his finger or a foreign object was not in the trigger guard, but how do we really know? The gun allegedly went off just as he finished holstering, and he says he had already cleared the holster and his hands were coming up. There's no video or other evidence to back up that exact sequence of events, and memory can be awfully selective in some situations.

Sig supposedly replaced a "defective firing pin return spring". Could something like this cause an uncommanded discharge? Armorers?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16297 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I bought one without the replacement FCU.
In fact I specifically hunted one with the unmodified FCU.

It's safe.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39740 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
If you think the P320 is capable of "firing all by itself" you should sell it and avoid firearms altogether.

Call me cynical, but this look like trolling to me, and nothing but. This is damn silly.

It was a simple question. To suggest I'm trolling is ignorant and uncalled for. I do not have a link to the video, but it seemed legit to me. The guy was actually surprised and said "I didn't even have my finger on the trigger". Have some god damn respect for people who ask a legitimate concern.

Posts: 8 | Location: FLORIDA | Registered: February 03, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I have 3. So far, none have gone off without me actually pulling the trigger. And how about posting a link to the video you saw? Lots of people here would want to see it.

Sorry I don't have a link to the video. It was "reel" on facebook

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
If you're talking about this video, he says his finger or a foreign object was not in the trigger guard, but how do we really know? The gun allegedly went off just as he finished holstering, and he says he had already cleared the holster and his hands were coming up. There's no video or other evidence to back up that exact sequence of events, and memory can be awfully selective in some situations.

Sig supposedly replaced a "defective firing pin return spring". Could something like this cause an uncommanded discharge? Armorers?

No thats not the one I saw. But I love mine. i just don't want to shoot myself.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SunFunGuy,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Probably the video where the guy claims he sent it to Sig and they did something to the firing pin and he is still scared to touch it....

I'm with Para.... I took a Sig P320 compact to a 4 day defensive hand gun class twice and put close to 700 rounds through it both times and the dern thing never even came close to firing all on its own.
Oh, and never malfunctioned once.

And now thinking about V-tail's post... with just about every gun range on the planet now having close circuit cameras... why don't we have a video of one of these self firing P320s?

Thank you for your reply.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Ok. It’s a slow night for news so why not?

Posts: 9488 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Early 320s had that drop at a certain angle and it would go boom. SiGUSA has fixed that. And the reason it was released back then was because it wasn't industry standard to test a drop at that angle. But I would put good money that every semi-reputable maker and up do that angle test and a few more on their products now.

If someone handed me a 320 and I had to carry it, I would have confidence in the system. Only reason why I don't have one is by the time I've bought the FCU and the built up around it, is it would then cost twice as much as the P229R that is my primary carry and offer little more on top.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post