SIGforum
Are 320's safe or not?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/9990095894

February 10, 2023, 11:02 AM
SunFunGuy
Are 320's safe or not?
I carry a P320 compact. I just love it. Perfect size for my hand, and good amount of ammo. It is a later production model which has the internals changed so it's not supposed to fire by itself or when dropped as you well know. I just saw a video the other day where a guy was at a range, didn't even have his finger inside the guard, and it went off. What the heck? I'm really leery about carrying this thing now. There is always a round in the tube, it is my last ditch self defense weapon. Now I don't trust it. What say ye??
February 10, 2023, 11:10 AM
bobtheelf
I say I don't believe it.
February 10, 2023, 11:13 AM
P250UA5
I've carried my P320C almost daily since I bought it. It's never gone off without my finger on the trigger.

The Enemy's gate is down.
February 10, 2023, 11:19 AM
YooperSigs
I have 3. So far, none have gone off without me actually pulling the trigger. And how about posting a link to the video you saw? Lots of people here would want to see it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
February 10, 2023, 11:56 AM
ZSMICHAEL
No issues with me.
February 10, 2023, 12:51 PM
nhracecraft
quote:
Originally posted by SunFunGuy:
I carry a P320 compact. I just love it. Perfect size for my hand, and good amount of ammo. It is a later production model which has the internals changed so it's not supposed to fire by itself or when dropped as you well know.

The 'Voluntary Upgrade' had nothing to do with resolving any 'firing by itself' issue. It provided a 'Disconnector' to eliminate OOB (Out of Battery) discharges and enhanced the 'Drop Safety' performance of the Pistol by removing mass/inertia from the Trigger, Sear, and Striker such that it could not discharge when dropped at a particular angle. Though SIG always 'drop tested' the P320 prior to the Voluntary Upgrade, they now drop test it at over twenty-something different angles!

Is the P320 Safe, yes! It's users however, are apparently NOT immune to stupidity! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!
February 10, 2023, 01:19 PM
parabellum
If you think the P320 is capable of "firing all by itself" you should sell it and avoid firearms altogether.

Call me cynical, but this look like trolling to me, and nothing but. This is damn silly.
February 10, 2023, 02:12 PM
V-Tail
I don't have any self-firing SIGs, but I would like to see the video. Can you post a link?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
February 10, 2023, 02:53 PM
Blume9mm
Probably the video where the guy claims he sent it to Sig and they did something to the firing pin and he is still scared to touch it....

I'm with Para.... I took a Sig P320 compact to a 4 day defensive hand gun class twice and put close to 700 rounds through it both times and the dern thing never even came close to firing all on its own.
Oh, and never malfunctioned once.

And now thinking about V-tail's post... with just about every gun range on the planet now having close circuit cameras... why don't we have a video of one of these self firing P320s?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"
February 10, 2023, 05:00 PM
flesheatingvirus
Are they safe or not? I guess it depends on which end you're standing on.

I'd have no issues owning/carrying one.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --
February 10, 2023, 05:15 PM
.38supersig
No. They are addictive, just like the P226.

February 10, 2023, 05:29 PM
V-Tail
Is it safe?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
February 10, 2023, 06:48 PM
kkina
If you're talking about this video, he says his finger or a foreign object was not in the trigger guard, but how do we really know? The gun allegedly went off just as he finished holstering, and he says he had already cleared the holster and his hands were coming up. There's no video or other evidence to back up that exact sequence of events, and memory can be awfully selective in some situations.

Sig supposedly replaced a "defective firing pin return spring". Could something like this cause an uncommanded discharge? Armorers?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."
February 10, 2023, 06:54 PM
ScreamingCockatoo
I bought one without the replacement FCU.
In fact I specifically hunted one with the unmodified FCU.

It's safe.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.
February 10, 2023, 07:35 PM
SunFunGuy
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
If you think the P320 is capable of "firing all by itself" you should sell it and avoid firearms altogether.

Call me cynical, but this look like trolling to me, and nothing but. This is damn silly.

It was a simple question. To suggest I'm trolling is ignorant and uncalled for. I do not have a link to the video, but it seemed legit to me. The guy was actually surprised and said "I didn't even have my finger on the trigger". Have some god damn respect for people who ask a legitimate concern.
February 10, 2023, 07:36 PM
SunFunGuy
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I have 3. So far, none have gone off without me actually pulling the trigger. And how about posting a link to the video you saw? Lots of people here would want to see it.

Sorry I don't have a link to the video. It was "reel" on facebook
February 10, 2023, 07:39 PM
SunFunGuy
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
If you're talking about this video, he says his finger or a foreign object was not in the trigger guard, but how do we really know? The gun allegedly went off just as he finished holstering, and he says he had already cleared the holster and his hands were coming up. There's no video or other evidence to back up that exact sequence of events, and memory can be awfully selective in some situations.

Sig supposedly replaced a "defective firing pin return spring". Could something like this cause an uncommanded discharge? Armorers?

No thats not the one I saw. But I love mine. i just don't want to shoot myself.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SunFunGuy,
February 10, 2023, 07:43 PM
SunFunGuy
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Probably the video where the guy claims he sent it to Sig and they did something to the firing pin and he is still scared to touch it....

I'm with Para.... I took a Sig P320 compact to a 4 day defensive hand gun class twice and put close to 700 rounds through it both times and the dern thing never even came close to firing all on its own.
Oh, and never malfunctioned once.

And now thinking about V-tail's post... with just about every gun range on the planet now having close circuit cameras... why don't we have a video of one of these self firing P320s?

Thank you for your reply.
February 10, 2023, 07:44 PM
220-9er
Ok. It’s a slow night for news so why not?

February 10, 2023, 07:45 PM
IrishWind
Early 320s had that drop at a certain angle and it would go boom. SiGUSA has fixed that. And the reason it was released back then was because it wasn't industry standard to test a drop at that angle. But I would put good money that every semi-reputable maker and up do that angle test and a few more on their products now.

If someone handed me a 320 and I had to carry it, I would have confidence in the system. Only reason why I don't have one is by the time I've bought the FCU and the built up around it, is it would then cost twice as much as the P229R that is my primary carry and offer little more on top.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!