SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Are 320's safe or not?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are 320's safe or not? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SunFunGuy:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
If you think the P320 is capable of "firing all by itself" you should sell it and avoid firearms altogether.

Call me cynical, but this look like trolling to me, and nothing but. This is damn silly.
It was a simple question. To suggest I'm trolling is ignorant and uncalled for. I do not have a link to the video, but it seemed legit to me. The guy was actually surprised and said "I didn't even have my finger on the trigger". Have some god damn respect for people who ask a legitimate concern.
Oh, yes, of course. The guy coming in and asking if his pistol is going to go off by itself- there's no chance that's trolling. On top of possible trolling, I'll add 'disingenuous' to the mix, because you behave as if your question is perfectly reasonable- pistols just BAM!! going off by themselves. And you call me ignorant?

And no, it's not "a simple question." It's a silly question, to say the least.

Perhaps you should use a nightstick, maybe a bow and arrow. Anything but a pistol, man.

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

If you think the P320 is capable of "firing all by itself" you should sell it and avoid firearms altogether.

Call me cynical, but this look like trolling to me, and nothing but. This is damn silly.
To suggest I'm trolling is ignorant and uncalled for. I do not have a link to the video, but it seemed legit to me. The guy was actually surprised and said "I didn't even have my finger on the trigger". Have some god damn respect for people who ask a legitimate concern.
Hi there. Welcome aboard. Please don't be offended if I offer a couple tips for a new guy.
  1. It's probably not the wisest idea to imply that the owner of this forum is ignorant (I assure you that he's far from ignorant), nor are any of his remarks uncalled for. We are all guests here, in a place that he runs for our benefit. Think about it. He is giving us a gift.

2. There are some strong conventions here. If a newsprint article or an internet source is quoted, we are required to include a link when we reference them. That's a requirement, not a "suggestion." Similarly, if something in a video clip is referenced, the video should be embedded in the post, or failing that, at least a link should be included. If unable to do any of those, then don't reference the source. Those are cases in which it's better not to post at all.
Once again, welcome aboard, stick around, read what's posted and you'll understand the culture of this place. Like Yogi said, "You can observe a lot by watching."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
quote:
i just want to shoot myself.

I'm a bit worried about this guy.

Posts: 1347 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomV:
quote:

i just want to shoot myself.
I'm a bit worried about this guy.
Me too. It doesn't make much sense to worry about whether a 320 will self-discharge if that's what he's planning to use it for.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
and here I thought this was gonna be a rant complaining about ppl who keep on fucking asking if the p320 is gonna fire on it's own.
cuz I'm personally DAMN tired of that shit.
I have about 10-12 different P320's.
I've had them for years.
I've put LOTS of rounds thru them.
I carry them VERY frequently.
Never once has one of them gone off on their own.
GTFOH with this bullshit.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1541 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
In defense of the OP, Sunfunguy, he is new here and I suspect did not know that his question has been asked and answered here in one way or another.

One of the issues here is in the 'on line gun enthusiast community' it is an absolute near biblical fact that guns do not go off by themselves. Even hinting that they might is blasphemy.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Is it safe? Depends which side of it you are on. Safest would be to not stand in front of it but that's pretty much all firearms. Razz

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Considering that this is functionally a cocked and unlocked (unless equipped with a manual safety) single-action, it's as safe as you are.

Posts: 27948 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Unless you hand it to Alec Baldwin, in which case it's highly likely it'll go off by itself

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
They're pretty much safe Big Grin

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6966 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:

I have about 10-12 different P320's.

Never once has one of them gone off on their own.
WOW! You have that many, and every steenkin' one is defective? You need to get one of those good ones, that is self-firing! Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Winner
posted Hide Post
(With a bit of sarcasm)

If the P320 did fire on its own, it would seem to be a liability that Sig Sauer would want to fix, especially with the US military contract and all…

Posts: 132 | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
I read this thread this morning. I was going to comment that I have yet to see any firearm discharge without something on the trigger. Not 1/2 hour later, I read this. It does not state the make and model of firearm.

A lawyer in Brazil has died weeks after a gun he carried into a room with an MRI machine discharged when the device was turned on, according to the news outlet Folha De S.Paulo.

Leandro Mathias de Novaes had accompanied his mother to get an MRI scan at a facility in Sao Paulo, Brazil, on Jan. 16, and took a handgun into the room, carrying it in his waistband.

Fortunately, my home and shooting venues are not that close to an MRI.

Also reinforces the fact that polymer guns do in fact have metal parts.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
That pistol did not fire itself; the MRI machine caused the discharge.

MRI: >>MAGNETIC<< Resonance Imaging.

All of those people who have joined in the suit against SIG- Were they all in the vicinity of MRI machines being used? They have MRI machines at the gun range now?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess medical protocol requires an armed relative in the MRI room. Story is riduculous.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Winner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I guess medical protocol requires an armed relative in the MRI room. Story is riduculous.

When my <1 year old son needed an MRI, they were extremely unhappy to have an overprotective father hanging around, and I had to strip down to a loaner hospital gown. I never thought about what my CC options might be. Maybe I should’ve looked for one of those ceramic Glocks that I heard about on Die Hard.

Posts: 132 | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jlb226:
Maybe I should’ve looked for one of those ceramic Glocks that I heard about on Die Hard.

It costs more than you make in a month. Smile

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your candid reply. When I bought my 320, I was ready to sell everything else, it was that perfect for my hand. Accurate, runs flawlessly, good capacity. BUT I got worried about leaving it on the night stand. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Posts: 8 | Location: FLORIDA | Registered: February 03, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I don't believe this thread has been referenced, but the first several pages include some more detailed discussion of the question.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...935/m/1900068694/p/1

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
On the MRI story, think about what one has to go through to get an MRI if your a welder.
Your eyes have to be cleared first making sure you don't have any metal slivers in your eyes. It can be really bad if you have metal in your eye's and you undergo an MRI. It'll pull those slivers right out of your eye's OUCH'ey.
Well depending on the magnetics pull direction determines it its pull out or in another direction.

Posts: 18034 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post