SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Are 320's safe or not?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are 320's safe or not? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
The older lady still had a bobby pin in her hair when she went for her MRI. It ended up high in her nose requiring surgery to remove it.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
On the MRI story, think about what one has to go through to get an MRI if your a welder.

The first time I had an MRI the question was asked if I’d ever done any metal work involving a grinder for the same reason. Because I’d often used a Dremel, I thought it best to say I had, and they took an X-ray to check to see if I had any metal fragments in my eyes. Even though I’d always worn eye protection before, I’ve always had that in mind ever since.

Long ago I heard a story about how an LEO took his pistol close to an MRI facility and when it was snatched into the machine it discharged. At the time that seemed unlikely, but later when I was thinking about how some guns don’t have firing pin blocks, I could see how it would be like dropping such a gun muzzle down, but with much more force.

As for someone’s taking a gun into an MRI facility, I can also see how that might be more likely to occur in a place like Brazil.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Spontaneous Discharge of a Firearm in an MR Imaging Environment

https://www.ajronline.org/doi/...14/ajr.178.5.1781092

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
quote:
Spontaneous Discharge of a Firearm in an MR Imaging Environment
https://www.ajronline.org/doi/...14/ajr.178.5.1781092
Well, there you have it. Even though the pistol is a Series 80 Colt which has a firing pin block, the strength of the magnetic field was such that the firing pin block was disengaged, and the pistol was drawn into the MRI tunnel and struck one of the sides of the tunnel, thus causing an inertial discharge.

A non-80 Series Colt- or any 1911-pattern pistol and other pistols which lack a firing pin block- might discharge in the very same way if dropped (or struck) on a hard surface with sufficient force to drive the firing pin forward and detonate the primer of a cartridge in its chamber.

This is not what people are claiming in their anecdotal re-tellings and their lawsuit(s) against SIG-Sauer. Those people are claiming that their P320- holstered or not- fired spontaneously without any human intervention, and I stand by my statement that this is simply not happening. In instances where the P320 is firing a cartridge in its chamber, the trigger of the pistol is being pulled or pressed. Also, I maintain my contention that a safety blade (or tab) on the face of the P320 trigger as is present in most other striker-fired pistols would have prevented a substantial portion of these discharges.

From the link:

At the time the weapon discharged, it was reportedly in a cocked and locked position; that is, the hammer was cocked and the thumb safety was engaged to prevent the hammer from striking the firing pin. A live round was in the chamber. (Many people who choose this weapon for personal protection will carry it in this manner because it allows them to quickly fire the weapon if needed.)

When the firearm was removed from the magnet, the gun was still in a cocked and locked position. An empty cartridge was found in the chamber. The presence of an empty cartridge in the chamber is highly unusual. If the thumb safety were not engaged and the weapon fired normally by depressing the trigger, the normal backward recoil of the slide should have automatically ejected the empty cartridge, and a new live round should have automatically been chambered. As discussed earlier, the thumb safety performs two functions: it prevents the sear from releasing the hammer, thereby preventing the hammer from striking the firing pin; it also locks the slide in place, preventing retrograde motion of the slide and automatic ejection of the empty cartridge. Thus, the presence of an empty cartridge in the chamber confirms that the thumb safety was engaged at the time the gun was fired. Given that the thumb safety was engaged when the gun discharged, it is also likely that the normal trigger and hammer mechanism of firing the gun was bypassed because the thumb safety would have also prevented release of the hammer.

The gun likely discharged as a result of the effect of the magnetic field on the firing pin block. The firing pin block was probably drawn into its uppermost position by force of the magnetic field. The firing pin block has to overcome only light pressure from a relatively small spring to release the firing pin. The pistol was likely drawn into the magnetic field so that the muzzle struck the magnet's bore first. With the firing pin allowed to move freely in its channel, the force of the impact on the muzzle end was sufficient to cause the firing pin to overcome its spring pressure and move forward to strike the primer of the chambered round.

This account explains how the weapon discharged when the thumb safety was engaged.

Posts: 107486 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
My plan at the moment is to not go near an MRI machine regardless of whether I am carrying or not....

In fact, now that I think about it.. since I spent 35 years cutting steel damper plates out of fireplaces with a sawzall and grinder with very little osha approved protection... I probably better pass always....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I you are afraid it will “fire on its own” sell the FCU you have and replace it with a FCU with the manual safety. A few simple uts with a DREMEL and you are GTG.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31425 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
Your 320 is fine. JFC.

Posts: 1721 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Wasn't one of the prior issues was the trigger weight was too high causing more inertia when dropped which could contribute to firing?

I think there were other similar improvements too that would yield better safety.

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^The following re: 'improvements' included in the Voluntary Upgrade was posted on Page One:
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:
Originally posted by SunFunGuy:
I carry a P320 compact. I just love it. Perfect size for my hand, and good amount of ammo. It is a later production model which has the internals changed so it's not supposed to fire by itself or when dropped as you well know.

The 'Voluntary Upgrade' had nothing to do with resolving any 'firing by itself' issue. It provided a 'Disconnector' to eliminate OOB (Out of Battery) discharges and enhanced the 'Drop Safety' performance of the Pistol by removing mass/inertia from the Trigger, Sear, and Striker such that it could not discharge when dropped at a particular angle. Though SIG always 'drop tested' the P320 prior to the Voluntary Upgrade, they now drop test it at over twenty-something different angles!

Is the P320 Safe, yes! It's users however, are apparently NOT immune to stupidity! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 3. They are fine.

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
So, when will lawsuit #100 on this unsafe SIG be filed?

Q

Posts: 26337 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
So, when will lawsuit #100 on this unsafe SIG be filed?

Everyone is in for the ghetto lottery.

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I am not interested in owning a 320 at this time. If I want another striker fire it will be a G17 or G45. Then again, I won’t CCW a 70’s series 1911’s these days either (as a range only pistol it is a different story). Many here would do either of the aforementioned without worry. Perhaps I am paranoid. I have to be comfortable with the firearm in question and if I am not due to perceived mechanical shortcomings, I will avoid that particular type or model. Everyone’s comfort level varies.

Posts: 3142 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that everyone’s comfort level varies. Not quite applicable to this question though. Are 320’s safe? The answer is absolutely yes. Is a series 70 safe? Well, it isn’t drop safe.

Comfort level aside, the safety question is pretty black and white. The 320 is drop safe, it won’t just go off, and there has never been one shown to just shoot people in the melon without provocation. So yes it’s safe. Would you carry it? Totally up to you. Comfort level.

Posts: 7446 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Are these 320's safe?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, it’s French. I have to admit the older I get the ridiculously automated nature of the ‘bus sounds more and more appealing to my lazy nature. Lol

Posts: 7446 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

the older I get the ridiculously automated nature of the ‘bus sounds more and more appealing
It's all run by computers. Absolutely nothing can go wrong, go wrong, go wrong, go wrong, go wrong, go wrong, go wrong, go wrong, go wrong

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I still remember back in the late 60's and then into the 70's they kept telling us computers don't make mistakes....

but there was that one movie....

"Open the door Hal.... Hal, Open the door!"

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can categorically state that all prior and current owners of 320's will die, if they haven't done so already. Big Grin

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's a reason why this question continues to pop up. One of the top news stories listed under the Google search bar.

MPD is switching to Glock after a few mishaps.

https://www.wisn.com/amp/artic...ly-complete/43661021

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post