SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Dogs at Restaurants
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dogs at Restaurants Login/Join 
Picture of JR78
posted
Why in the hell do people have to bring their friggin dogs to restaurants. Leave the little creatures at home like normal people.

Posts: 1964 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wilberforce
posted Hide Post
No kidding.

I was at the grocery store and heard meowing.
A woman had a cat in her arms.
what the...

---------------
"Beat your plowshares into swords, and your pruning hooks into spears; let the weak say, “I am a warrior.”
--Joel 3:10, ESV

Posts: 186 | Location: North Texas | Registered: December 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
My 130 pound dog is better behaved than a lot of people at restaurants. Especially children. I've spent a lot of time over his years training him to the point where I can be fully confident that he'll behave in situations like that.

I don't bring him into fine dining establishments, just casual ones. Typically "pizza/burger and a beer" type places. I also only take him inside at restaurants that specifically allow dogs inside, and I don't try to force it by claiming fake service dog status or smuggling him in a purse like other folks try to do with theirs. (Good luck with that one anyway; I don't carry a purse and as already mentioned he's as big as a human.) Sometimes he's allowed on the patio but not inside, and that's okay too.

He enjoys it, because he enjoys people watching from under the table or next to my chair, meeting some new friends, and being with me. Most of the patrons and staff enjoy it, both because he's extremely well behaved but also because he's one of the biggest dogs most people have seen. I enjoy it because it's a great conversation starter, and because even though he's not a service animal I'm noticeably calmer with him around, especially in crowded rooms. (17+ years of LE work can make you a little paranoid at times.)

Even besides the positive feedback and interactions we get every time we go out, I've lost count of the number of times that people have approached me elsewhere when he's not with me and led off with some version of "Hey, aren't you the guy who brings that giant dog to XYZ restaurant? We love him!"

Sounds like your gripe may be with either the restaurants whose policies allow dogs inside or the people who try to bring their poorly trained, poorly socialized dogs out in public despite their disruptiveness and misbehavior. But you're painting with an awfully wide brush to have an issue with folks bringing well-behaved dogs to areas where they're allowed to be.

Oh, and before I get hit with the "dog hair in my food" or "allergic to dogs" angle, he's a Labradoodle, so he's hypoallergenic and sheds less than a person does. You're more likely to find a hair from your waiter in your food than one of his, since the waiter not only sheds more but is also directly interacting with your food, unlike my dog.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like dogs a lot - they're better than most people. But I don't get taking them everywhere you go. Mine go through the drive-thru if I go get sausage biscuits for breakfast and that's it. Not everybody else is a fan of dogs and most people certainly did not plan on them being in a restaurant with them.

Posts: 124 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Restaurants with the dog - no. Rural King and Petsmart - yes, although she did get reprimanded at RK for walking up to the bunny cages and barking at them. Great time for her, not so much for the bunnies.

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your dog sounds outstanding. I still don’t want dogs at restaurants. Most dogs are nowhere near trained to sit there as you describe. If they all were perhaps I would change my mind. They won’t ever be so I won’t ever change my mind. If I could outlaw unruly kids I would do that as well.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Great! You like your dog. That's wonderful. Just don't assume that everyone else does/will.

I submit that if you find it difficult to leave home without your dog, you need some sessions on a couch.

Sorry if that touches a nerve with you Rogue, but I'm sick and tired of people bringing their pets with them wherever they go. I've been growled at, snapped at, slobbered all over, and covered with hair by mutts that people should leave at home. And this was in various business, but most commonly in Lowes and Home Despot.

The simple fact is that no matter how well trained you think your dog is, he's still an animal that will innately turn when it suits him. God help you if it's a young child that gets her face chewed on. Just leave your dog at home.

They are not people, they are animals, and they do not belong in places of business other than a vet's office.

And yes, I generally love dogs...had them my whole life. My Golden is laying in front of the woodstove as I type. As much as I love him, he stays at home when I go to town.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Take it up with the restaurants and other business that allow it. Complain to the manager about their policy. Hell, throw a Karen fit then leave a strongly-worded one-star Yelp review. Or just vote with your wallet and go elsewhere to places where dogs aren't allowed.

But don't get mad at the people who are abiding by the rules and doing what's allowed inside a private business.

This would be like someone pitching a bitch because you carried a gun into a restaurant, even though it's allowed in the restaurant. Just because they don't like it or it makes them uncomfortable doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong. It's legal. Check. It's allowed by the policies of the business. Check. So you're following the rules and doing what's allowed inside that private business, and if they don't like it, they can go elsewhere. (And then they're welcome to attempt to convince the business to eventually change their policy to ban all guns dogs.)

It's funny how some folks want to advocate for freedom and personal choices, until it involves something they personally don't like.

Restaurants that allow dogs are by far the minority. We're talking single digit percentage. Just don't go there if it bothers you. You've got plenty of other options where dogs aren't allowed at all.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I doubt that most people ever consider whether the restaurant they are going to allows dogs, snakes, pet spiders, etc. I don't know what fine dining vs casual has to do with anything. I don't expect or appreciate seeing bare feet, kids getting diapers changed at the table, or pets when I go out to eat. So if I'm already inside and a dog shows up at the adjacent table and starts licking its ass, I'll probably complain to the management. Might post about it here too.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Nope, not going to eat at any restaurants that allow dogs, cats, birds, snakes or whatever inside. Their business their policy, yes exactly, and my wallet my choice. I don't even need to raise a stink about it.

Q

Posts: 26379 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Any dog I have is trained in Schutzhund and part of that is obedience. I could do it, but I never would. If it’s an outside type deal and someone has a dog with them and it’s well behaved it’s fine with me. But if it isn’t trained, it shouldn’t be there. And inside? Not a chance in hell.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12627 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is the new America. We shout and are proud of our weaknesses

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know if having to take your dog with you everywhere is a weakness but it certainly can be unappetizing and unsanitary. Probably half the time I go to PetSmart, there is a puddle or pile on the floor. Don't know who is shouting.

Off topic I guess, but to me the new America might be described as stupid, inconsiderate, self-righteous, and "look at me".

Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
quote:
This would be like someone pitching a bitch because you carried a gun into a restaurant, even though it's allowed in the restaurant. Just because they don't like it or it makes them uncomfortable doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong. It's legal. Check. It's allowed by the policies of the business. Check. So you're following the rules and doing what's allowed inside that private business, and if they don't like it, they can go elsewhere. (And then they're welcome to attempt to convince the business to eventually change their policy to ban all guns dogs.)

It's funny how some folks want to advocate for freedom and personal choices, until it involves something they personally don't like.

Yep, 100% in agreement - well stated. Lots of places that I don't patronize because I do not like their policies/rules/etc....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I'd rather have a dog at a restaurant I'm at than people who don't like dogs...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Very common in Europe. The dogs I saw were all well-behaved.

Posts: 9039 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I keep hoping to see one of these mid-sized-dog-on-lap-driving folks in a wreck. Well, not really but only because the dog doesn't deserve injury due to stoopid humans!

We have a close friend who fosters service dog candidates as puppies, and taking them to restaurants, shopping, etc. is all part of her responsibility in the 9-12 months she has them. It is admittedly a weird feeling that I'm just not used to, but she is pretty proficient at this whole routine by now. I'm self-conscious due to the number of fake service animals being brought everywhere, but she gives precisely zero fucks and is happy to chat with people about the program, etc. if anyone engages her.

And they do not ride up front..... Razz

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just because YOUR dog is well behaved and hypo allergenic or whatever , does not change anything . Unless it's a legitimate Service Dog , leave it at home when you go out to eat .

Posts: 4055 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
"Just because YOU are trained and licensed to carry a concealed handgun or whatever does not change anything. Unless it's a legitimate law enforcement service pistol, [I demand you] leave it at home when you go out to eat [because I don't like it]."

Notice the cognitive dissonance here?

No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Dogs inside a restaurant or grocery store? Negative

There is one local place called the U Joint that has an outside area specifically set up for pets, water bowls, astro turf and such. We go in the spring and fall with our dog, too damned hot any other time.

There is a Greek place that we love, the last time we were there we asked if pets were allowed outside on the patio, they said yes and we plan to bring Roman with when it warms up a bit

Assholes with untrained dogs are your problem

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post