SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Dogs at Restaurants
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dogs at Restaurants Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
I don’t give a rats ass if you do or not.

I see. It's all about "me". Me and what I want. I don't care about what anyone else wants. It's my RIGHT! I can do whatever I want whenever I want and you have to accept it. That sounds vaguely familiar for some reason.

There's the concept of common courtesy that you might want to look into. It boggles the mind that some seem to go out of their way to aggravate others.

And yes, if a person is unable to go anywhere without their pet, then they do need some therapy. That "you" was a collective "you", BTW, and not directed towards nor attacking Rogue.

I read that as anyone that doesn’t adhere to your opinions and respect them is selfish…okay. So how many opinions should I observe and act upon? Everyone’s? What about the people who WANT a dog nearby?

Your post is full of stupid. Sounds a whole GD lot like the “woke liberals” you all complain so much about. They aren’t agreeing with me so it’s disrespect.

As mentioned, I welcome someone telling me I shouldn’t have my dog in a place they are welcome. I don’t desire confrontation but find it the best way to educate ignorant people.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6254 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Our dog is with us whenever it's feasible, he's a part of our family

Maybe some of y'all need some dog therapy

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about dogs at medical offices??? Several physicians have them in their offices.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If my doctor allowed it, I might occasionally bring mine. He loves going to the vet. (Seriously.) But unlike restaurants, where it's not super widespread but it's also not uncommon, I can't say I've ever seen a non-vet medical office that allowed dogs that weren't service animals.

But maybe that's coming. Several decades ago, dogs in restaurants were basically unheard of, like dogs in medical offices are today. But things change, so who knows how it'll be in several more decades.

Edit: Ah, you added to your post as I was typing. You're talking about people bringing their dog to work. Yeah, that's becoming increasingly common across a wide variety of professions. It doesn't surprise me that doctors - especially ones at independent offices that can set their own policies - are doing it too.

I'm obviously cool with it. In fact, that would make me like that doctor even more.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. He is in family medicine, has pics of his dogs on the walls and gets kidded about being a vet. Another neurologist has cats and dogs and a pool table in his waiting room. These are independent physicians.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Since we're branching out from just restaurants, I'll share this story to show that sometimes, even "no dogs" policies can have room for exceptions.

My ex-wife was a teacher. During the summer, she tutored individual students for extra money. One summer about 5 years ago, she had a younger student who needed reading tutoring, and she arranged to meet this student at the local library a few times per week. While the weather was nice early in the summer, my ex-wife started taking my well-trained giant dog with her, and all three of them would sprawl on the grass outside the library to do their reading lesson.

After doing this a few times, the head librarian came out to meet her one day. She remarked at how well-behaved my dog was, and how much she enjoyed watching the young student lay on the ground, propped up against my napping big dog, while they were doing their reading lessons. She said that several other patrons had remarked about him as well.

Then the librarian told my ex-wife that even though dogs normally weren't allowed in the library, she was welcome to bring my dog inside with them if it was too hot or too rainy and they didn't want to be outside that day.

And thus, my dog got to go inside the "no dogs allowed" library all summer long.

So I guess that's another place for the curmudgeons to avoid: the library. Because you never know when some mongrel is going to show up (with permission), and it might be hard to focus on your copy of Atlas Shrugged with a potentially vicious dog licking his ass on the other side of the room. Big Grin

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
So I guess that's another place for the curmudgeons to avoid: the library.

Slurrerrer! Blasphemer! Heretic! Forshame!

Not all us Curmudgeons have issues with Dogs in public! Razz

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
My pup used to hang out with me at the office. Much butt-licking viciousness ensued. Razz
I miss him every day.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Just yesterday in our local Sams Club while shopping we witnessed a adult female with 4 small children and a 9 month old (I asked owner) Old English Sheepdog on a leash...Personally did not care less as it appeared the dog to be well trained and behaved but other shoppers were not so inclined with their speech and some trying to pet the dog. ........................ drill sgt.

Posts: 1952 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
Just yesterday in our local Sams Club while shopping we witnessed a adult female with 4 small children and a 9 month old (I asked owner) Old English Sheepdog on a leash...Personally did not care less as it appeared the dog to be well trained and behaved but other shoppers were not so inclined with their speech and some trying to pet the dog. ........................ drill sgt.

I've seen the person the door at that Sam's stop them with dogs. They're running that shit in the ground with taking "fur babies" everywhere

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I am not a fan of dogs in restaurants, but pretty much everywhere else is fine with me. I don’t like how many people stop and block aisles or entrances and exits fawning over them but that’s not the owners fault. I also don’t like when owners who don’t pay attention and let their dogs block aisles and such.

If I were to argue for any rules to be installed about dogs though it’s dogs on public transportation. If a dog is over a certain size the owner should have to purchase a seat for the dog. I recently sat next to an already large lady who had a 50 or 60 pound large dog that she tried to have sit on the floor between her legs, which caused her to spread her legs way out and into my space. Of course I think infants in arms shouldn’t be allowed either.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I've never really thought about dogs in restaurants before. When I've seen it, the dogs have always been well-behaved and were on the floor, not on the furniture. I enjoy watching them hang out. Even so, we wouldn't bring our dog to a restaurant. I didn't do the best job in training her, and she'd have a hard time not trying to visit everyone.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
I would not have any issues with dogs in restaurants as long as they were well behaved. I enjoy seeing good dogs out and about.

Posts: 1124 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
I enjoy dogs but don't believe they belong in restaurants. Just because something is allowed doesn't make it a good idea just like when something is legal that doesn't make it right.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Restaurants that allow dogs. Don't eat there if you don't want to. Problem solved!

Posts: 3369 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Don't like places that allow dogs don't go. Kind of simple.

Posts: 2765 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I'd sooner a well-behaved dog than ill-behaved children or incessantly-screaming infants.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I'd sooner a well-behaved dog than ill-behaved children or incessantly-screaming infants.

I'll agree to that

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
We take our dog with us if we're going to someplace dog friendly with outdoor seating.

Carl started out life at birth with a goal of being a service animal (mobility assist). An injury late in his training ended that career path and he became part of our family. As a result, he is very well trained and comfortable in public spaces. Several times we've had people next to us that had no idea we had our dog with us until we get up to leave and he's a 65 pound lab.

He doesn't go everywhere with us, but he's fun to take along when we go places he can go to as well Smile

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I don't want dogs in sit down restaurants. I don't mind them on porches or patios.

While I might not mind a well-behaved dog, that just opens the door to every moron who doesn't have near perfect control over their dog. And I still don't like it in a sit down place, even with well behaved dogs.

I don't like most children in nicer restaurants, either. Take them to Chuck E Cheese.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post