SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    And Another Cancer Rant
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

And Another Cancer Rant Login/Join 
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
My MiL just finished treatment. Finally just had a double mastectomy and a brief course of radiation. I can sympathize with your situation. Being strong for her means accepting the bad moods and being attacked. She’s not really mad at you, it’s a primal reaction to the fear of death. You’re a tough guy and you’ll both make it. As has been mentioned already, this is your sounding board and we’re here for you. Blow off as much frustration as you need cause bottling it up will only cause you mental and possibly physical issues.

Take care friend

Posts: 13822 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
My best wishes to both of you. While Tabitha will go through the physical & mental portions of battling cancer, you will also go through difficult and different mental conditions. You will need to be the positive to her negative, as hard as that will be!

Good luck to you both, Mars!!!

Posts: 3405 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
Best wishes for your wife. I have two female friends, one I went to HS with and the other is an EMT in the town where I work. Both had to have double mastectomy. Both are doing okay now.

Cancer sucks. I’ve been dealing with my own cancer issues the last 3 years.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3447 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:...
I hope when this ordeal is over (it's never really over) she will look back at how much I have done and sacrificed to make her happy.

It is most important, that even if she does not realize this because of all the challenges she faces and the anguish, that you know it for yourself.

It is not selfish, it is healthy.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44405 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sigmonkey is right! I know that even this far after my GF's battle, she still doesn't understand everything that happened, how I helped and supported her, even through some ill-advised decisions she made that I couldn't talk her out of.

I know what I did right, what I did wrong, I just have to live with that.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9361 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am praying for successful treatment and recovery.

I am facing my own cancer battle and I am so thankful for everything my wife is doing, more than I ever thought anyone would need to do for me.

Tomorrow morning, I am having a cardiac ablation (cryoablation). Fun times.

Posts: 1130 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
It's tough when the whole world seems to be closing in on you. I'll be praying for her and you.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19992 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Sorry bud. I'm sure it's super tough beyond words. For everyone... Thoughts with you guys.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8920 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The psychological care has called twice this afternoon.

The SOONEST they can get her in is mid February.

Two months AFTER the surgery. Not only is she frightened, now she is pissed.

Flashback to Thursday......

I drove for hours to go get her other son for Thanksgiving, we had TGD with his inlaws and his wife had us take him back home with us. He stayed through Saturday. THIS made her visibly happy. She introduced Pippin to Drew and Pippin took right to him. That thrilled her. They sat together on our front porch in the nice weather and had Pippin hop between them for attention after catching up since not seeing him for a few years. They live in Winston-Salem. Her parents are in extreme North East GA, near the border of South Carolina.

The absolute best birthday present I could have ever given her. We have the same birthday.

She DID go to bed early, leaving he and I to our own devices while taking care of Pippin. We watched irreverent comedy shows and I got to watch the new Guardians with him. He's a good young man. He's like a big puppy. She was sleeping late (see all day) when I rousted her to spend time with her son. His wife called and said keep him another day. Even better news. I knew she would go off and sleep early, but we could roust her early to see her son.

Other son who lives with us works nights and offered to take us all to dinner Saturday night (I will consider this rent). He has had trouble sleeping since the news, having both her boys together in 15 or so years will just be icing on the cake for her. Made her very happy. Took her mind off things for a few hours.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34365 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The psychological care has called twice this afternoon.

The SOONEST they can get her in is mid February.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well that sucks. THe doc should have a cancellation or two. Ask to be put on that list. Are you restricted in terms of network psychologists?

Posts: 17478 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Very tough situation for you.
Typical work up for breast cancer is:
abnormal mammogram --> needle biopsy.
determine cancer type: DCIS (ductal) vs Lobular
determine receptor status-estrogen, progesterone, HER
schedule MRI to determine if there is further disease
schedule surgery--determine if sentinal node is involved
Unclear how they jumped to mastectomy--no radiation, no hormonal therapy.
Availiable to discuss this diagnosis.

Posts: 2366 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The surgeon said it is estrogen positive DCIS, however there's also a 7cm tube cell calcium nodules string.

She said she will take the sentinel node during the mastectomy.

I think it's more advanced than she's letting on.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34365 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prayers for you and her Mars. Being the caretaker and SO of anyone with cancer is tough. I hope her oncology team gets everything and you can all move on with this crummy time in the rear view.

My wife has been dealing with Multiple Myeloma for going on 6 years now. She was just shy of 35 when diagnosed. The treatments, infusions, transplants, tests, and such, particularly through the COVID years, have tested our marriage and family more than we ever imagined when we said “I Do.”

For what it is worth, just take the harshness and pain she dishes at you. It isn’t personal, but for all the anger you may feel for not being able to directly help get that crap out of her she is feeling exponentially angrier at a situation she didn’t ask for. Everyone vents differently…

Posts: 679 | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Mars:
1 cm DCIS with ER + would best be handled with lumpectomy and hormone therapy (Tamoxifen or Arumidex).
Taking into account Tab's stroke-- the 7 cm calcifications may be just that-- a calcified mammary artery.
I am only getting bits and pieces of the story. I do not want to intrude but feel someone needs to review Tab's medical history. MRI is missing in the diagnostic work up.

Posts: 2366 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
Mars:
1 cm DCIS with ER + would best be handled with lumpectomy and hormone therapy (Tamoxifen or Arumidex).
Taking into account Tab's stroke-- the 7 cm calcifications may be just that-- a calcified mammary artery.
I am only getting bits and pieces of the story. I do not want to intrude but feel someone needs to review Tab's medical history. MRI is missing in the diagnostic work up.

Oh they aren't telling her anything. They just want to do the mastectomy and reconstruction.

I can't even get my hands on the pathology report.

We have an appointment with the plastic surgeon on the 11th. Believe me I want to see the report and films. I want them to put them on her medical app. They aren't there.

Please don't feel like you are intruding. You are the most help I've had yet.

The genetics came back all negative for multiple markers.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Tab's medical records should be available immediately per the Federal Cures Act. There is NO waiting period.
A conversation offline would be better than posting online.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Learn as much as you can about the specific type of cancer and don't be shy about talking to other doctors in the field, a second opinion, as that's something they should expect and encourage.

See if there are support groups, something like a Sigforum for this type of cancer. They exist for most diseases. Communication with others in the same situation can be comforting and provide a lot of good information on resources, care and what to expect.

Not all doctors are created equal and you want to be sure to get the best one for this exact type. Not just who the first doctors refers you to. The more you can learn on your own, the better questions you can ask.

Once enough time has passed to let the initial emotions pass, gain more knowledge so she can have more control of the situation and it may help focus her thoughts away from the initial panic and into a more constructive use.

Hate to hear this but it sounds like her options are good and a good outcome within reach.

Posts: 9785 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My ex-wife had breast cancer. Look very carefully at your wife's reconstruction options. There are several, and each has pros and cons. Hospitals/insurance will try to push her to what they want to pay for and not necessarily what option is best for her. My ex went to the Mayo and got all the work done in one operation, well several at the sametime. We had a mega fight with the health insurance company. They didn't want to pay and after much hassle they did. If we had gone with thier plan she would have been down with surgeries for over a year. Mayo had her out of commission for three weeks and she returned to work very shortly after. I could say more, but you get the point.

Vince

Posts: 307 | Registered: July 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
I’m sorry to hear of Tabitha’s health challenges. Elizabeth Steinhaus, MD is awesome, if you can get in to see her. Possibly the best breast surgeon in ATL.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10530 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First, I wish you all the best.

Second, I’m in the same boat with my wife, except it’s thyroid and has spread to the lymphatic system. The doctors she has are, for a lack of better descriptions, O2 stealing assholes.

A very good friend of ours sent us his Oncologists contact numbers. My wife just talked to them yesterday and will hopefully be seeing them in Philly for a second opinion.

Thanksgiving wasn’t a great day for us as she was in emergency surgery due to endometrial hemorrhaging. 3 units of blood, 2 iron transfusions, and a blown out vein with infection due to the catheter.

I’ve struggled with religion and my faith over the years from the death of our son and now with my wife. I do believe that the man upstairs has a plan for my wife. I just hope it includes us growing old together.

If you need a shoulder or an ear, I’m here for you. You can email me and I’ll give you my number. I don’t know you from anything, but we’re all humans and sometimes all it takes is someone to talk to.

quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
I wanted to wait for Thanksgiving to be over to say anything.

Tabitha has cancer.

We've known for weeks. In October, from advice of her GP, she went to her first ever breast exam at 55 years old and the film showed "something". They schedule her for biopsy immediately. I mean immediately. This was October 30. Tuesday October 31 she has the biopsy.

They will tell her results by Friday. I tend her wounds. She is now extremely worried.

Friday comes, no word. She keeps calling all day long hoping for a negative. They tell her Monday. She is now frightened and won't leave her room.

Monday comes, no word. She calls and they tell her Wednesday.

Wednesday the doctor calls and says it's cancer, she has an appointment for the oncologist in two weeks. Yeah, TWO WEEKS to find out what it is and what can be done. Tabitha has been apoplectic. The true meaning of panicked apoplectic. Day and night.

FINALLY we go to the oncologist's office on November 20 and they take her alone to speak with her, she understands nothing.

Then we meet with the surgeon. She speaks in terms Tabs can't understand, but I do. Tabs is hoping for a lumpectomy an be done with follow hormonal suppression pills.

What I heard was she has invasive tube cells in the ducts with calcified nodules with cells 7cm long. The other area is 1cm.

Mastectomy will be the only treatment. However with a complete removal, they will get the cancer and no chemo or radiation will be necessary if the sentinel lymph nodes are clear. Surgeon says plastic surgery reconstruction will be done at the time of surgery. Non surgical is completely off the table.

Tabitha goes full blown unhinged in front of the surgeon to the point nobody can hear. I'm sure she's seen this before.

Surgery can't be done before late December to early January. Cancer don't take time off for holidays.

Tabitha hasn't left her room. Not even to play with her bird who has been crying for her all day long for a week now.

Doctors will give her NOTHING for the depression or anxiety, other than counseling that can't happen for weeks.

TO make her feel better, I drove for hours to go get her other son and brought him home for Thanksgiving and her birthday. She was elated over that, but still hides in her room in the morning and evening crying uncontrollably.

His wife has come to get him today and I'm taking us all out to eat at a steakhouse tonight.

I have no idea what tomorrow brings, but the surgeon said she is confident the surgery will solve this. She got lucky, skin of the teeth lucky.

Posts: 874 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: December 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post