SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Irritated with a neighbor and friend. Perhaps time to say Adios ?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Irritated with a neighbor and friend. Perhaps time to say Adios ? Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Maintaining a friendship can take work; you have to ask yourself if you get value from doing that work.

If not? He becomes the neighbor you wave to as you are closing the garage door. I made that move on a neighbor a few years ago and have never looked back.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12315 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
A continuing mystery to me is why people associate on a purely voluntary basis with others who do nothing other than annoy or upset them. And I find nothing more annoying than unjustified criticism. That guy, like many such people, probably believes that he’s doing a good deed by offering what he considers to be “constructive” criticism, but another mystery is why anyone believes they have some sort of obligation to participate in their delusions.

I would stop associating with someone like that after the first “Why don’t you …?” If he were perceptive enough to notice and ask why that, I might offer an explanation once, but that would be it unless he recognized and acknowledged what he’d been doing and actually changed his ways. Life is too short, and all that.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
There are two people on the planet outside my family toward whom I feel any obligation at all.

I sometimes wonder if I'm not borderline sociopathic. Whatever, I'm fine with it.

Somebody on this forum is feeling awfully special right now. Wanna let us know who it might be? Razz

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14032 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have many acquaintances. But very few true friends.
Friend can take me to task. But acquaintances dont have that privilege.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16062 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I have a simple solution. You don't have to stop being his friend.

Just stop stopping by to talk.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19637 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Have you considered that in his own gruff way, his getting on you about "doing nothing" is actually him being worried for you?

I've seen it way too many times with guys who work their entire life, then retire to "do nothing" and are dead within a year or two. Frown

This is exactly what happened to a coworker, he got less than 18 months of retirement before he died. It seems like for a lot of people, working is what keeps them going.

Posts: 33750 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Have you considered that in his own gruff way, his getting on you about "doing nothing" is actually him being worried for you?

I've seen it way too many times with guys who work their entire life, then retire to "do nothing" and are dead within a year or two. Frown

This is exactly what happened to a coworker, he got less than 18 months of retirement before he died. It seems like for a lot of people, working is what keeps them going.

I won't disagree with what you said. But I stay busy with chores, and do not sit around all day.

I've had cancer since retiring, 2 heart attacks in the past 2 years congestive heart failure. and battling critical anemia, that the doctors cannot find the cause of.

My neighbors presentation,however, does not come across to me as advice on health. It comes across as him viewing me as choosing not to work as he does.

I retired in 2004, and had just started working at another job, when I had cancer.

What you said, does happen to many retirees. But I've not fallen into the sedentary trap.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think the guy is pissed because he thinks everyone should work like he does. I

Or maybe he's jealous, unhappy he's still working at his age and didn't plan retirement well,

who knows, Just smile wave and go on about your day and be like a duck, why care what he thinks...

Posts: 23375 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
There are two people on the planet outside my family toward whom I feel any obligation at all.

I sometimes wonder if I'm not borderline sociopathic. Whatever, I'm fine with it.

Somebody on this forum is feeling awfully special right now. Wanna let us know who it might be? Razz

What, and burst the other 90,000-odd member's bubbles? That would be cruel. Razz

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15203 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Screw him, the time you spent here about him is time you won’t get back. Bye and move on.

Posts: 2769 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
Tell him you don't have time to talk, and have to get back to doing nothing.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4617 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Next time, ask him if he can summarize his concerns quickly so you can get back to your schedule.... Big Grin

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
"Yep, I'm enjoying it. You should try it."

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
What's his problem... and why is what you do any of his goddamn business? If you pull your own weight (retired, don't beg or borrow from him, pay your bills, take care of your responsibilities...) what concern is how you live your life any of his?

I would probably tell him to cram it next time... and if he wants to be friends do fine, but stow that nonsense. If not... well... never darken my door again.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I would play along. No skin off my back. "Yea, well I wish I was 60."

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
”One of ‘em’s me…the other ain’t you.” Cool

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:
”One of ‘em’s me…the other ain’t you.” Cool

Have we met? Big Grin

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15203 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
Sometimes I stop by to talk , see how he is doing, but lately it's not often.
Does he ever stop by your place to talk? Do you gather at any groups/events/places together?

If the answer to both is no then it's an extremely lopsided friendship, and I wouldn't be making any more drop-ins.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23199 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I like to "fix" relationships that go different than i want. So far I've skunked. Acceptance is not my strong suit.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
“I heard you the first time and I divorced the last person who badgered me” generally works for me, one way or the other.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post