SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Rockin' some radioactive! Tritium dial from the mid 90s.

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
I swore I'd never buy another watch after I got my IWC grail watch, then you post this beauty, thanks Rogue. Big Grin

Posts: 12921 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
If I ever get a chrono, it will be a Speedy.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How can any watch aficionado not have a chronograph? I went 32 years with my Rolex GMT Master, but almost always had a chrono of some kind around as well.

You owe it to yourself! Seriously!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have no use for a chrono, and most are too busy- looking. But I like the Speedmaster.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:

You got be speedo??? Congrats. Hexalite?

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I have no use for a chrono, and most are too busy- looking. But I like the Speedmaster.

Definitely, the Speedmaster is classic. A friend of mine had one in the very early 1970's I think, but I haven't seen one since then. It's on my wish-list -- Column B, Never Gonna Afford It! Frown

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

In all honesty, I got my first one not too long ago. They're a useful fun compilation. I like em.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:Hexalite?

Hesalite, yep!

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:

AH! THE classic chronograph.

Beautiful!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
résidait cajun regardant un couyon tête du pays
Picture of neiltus
posted Hide Post
Well, I went into a dealer yesterday to ask about the Tudor North Flag.

They are not in the states yet. Best dealer knows is end of August.

So left with an Explorer instead. It replaces a formula 1 tag that has been in for service too many times in the past 5 years.

I got a little off. Also ended up with a 5 year warranty.

Now I will have to shop for the wife. She wants a 26mm steel date with their jubilee band. Don't know if such an animal is made.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by neiltus: ...Now I will have to shop for the wife. She wants a 26mm steel date with their jubilee band. Don't know if such an animal is made.

Indeed they do make such an animal: http://www.rolex.com/watches/l...html#cfgvar=bracelet

and

http://www.rolex.com/watches/l...st/m179174-0096.html

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Currently wearing a Marathon TSAR. Should have got the automatic version. This ones got a lot of miles and travels on it. Cross country, Alaska, Canada, Ireland, Scottland, Kuwait and Iraq. Crystal is still good, missing the 12 o'clock triangle, seems like that's normal, and some suff and scrapes on the case. The Tritium is already past one half life and it shows. I keep wearing it for the sentiment, but sometimes I think it's time to retire it and start over. I'd hate to loose it now. It lives on a Zulu bad these days. One day I'll post a photo.

I bought it, actually it was a gift, because it had Tritium and I didn't care for the Luminox Navy Seal markings. It holds good enough time and I haven't been able to hurt it. I think it may get a SS band and be my nice watch.

All that to for this question, what other quality brands have Tritium faces/hands? I know Ball does but they are out of my price range for a watch. Luminox seems decent. I'm happy with a diver style with just the date. Accuracy and dependability is more important than a name and I'd rather not have something that has to be serviced.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
Currently wearing a Marathon TSAR. Should have got the automatic version. This ones got a lot of miles and travels on it. Cross country, Alaska, Canada, Ireland, Scottland, Kuwait and Iraq. Crystal is still good, missing the 12 o'clock triangle, seems like that's normal, and some suff and scrapes on the case. The Tritium is already past one half life and it shows. I keep wearing it for the sentiment, but sometimes I think it's time to retire it and start over. I'd hate to loose it now. It lives on a Zulu bad these days. One day I'll post a photo.

I bought it, actually it was a gift, because it had Tritium and I didn't care for the Luminox Navy Seal markings. It holds good enough time and I haven't been able to hurt it. I think it may get a SS band and be my nice watch.

All that to for this question, what other quality brands have Tritium faces/hands? I know Ball does but they are out of my price range for a watch. Luminox seems decent. I'm happy with a diver style with just the date. Accuracy and dependability is more important than a name and I'd rather not have something that has to be serviced.

I have the auto model that I simply cannot get off my wrist. It too has been thru hell and missing the bezel pip at 12. These things are just tougher than nails! And decent looking as well.

I have thought I might just sell all my other watches as I never seem to wear them.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More light than heat
Picture of Milliron
posted Hide Post
Finally got my Grail Watch, a Stowa Flieger Ohnelogo with date:

Stowa was one of four makers of watches for the German Luftwaffe during WWII, the others being Laco, Lange und Sohne, and IWC (who also made watches for the Royal Air Force). They pretty much invented the classic pilot's watch.

Once ETA announced they would only produce movements for Swatch owned companies, Stowa was in a jam. They began to produce watches with a Unitas movement, but the waiting list was very long. I was on it for a year when their principal watchmaker died, and no more Fliegers were being produced. Then Stowa and other watchmakers sued ETA in Switzerland in antitrust and won, forcing ETA to begin selling movements to other makers again (ETA makes 80% of the Swiss movements on the market). Consequently, my watch has a bright spanking new ETA 2824-2 movement (chronometer). I decided to jump on it as ETA was ordered to extend its selling of movements, but not indefinitely.

"Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. It's only advantage, so far as I have been able to see, is that it spans change. A young person sees the world as a still picture, immutable. An old person has had his nose rubbed in changes and more changes and still more changes so many times that that he knows it is a moving picture, forever changing. He may not like it--probably doesn't; I don't--but he knows it's so, and knowing is the first step in coping with it."

Robert Heinlein

Posts: 8798 | Location: West Chester, Ohio | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Very cool Milliron! I love it. I yearn for a B-Uhr Flieger, but they (of course) trend big, as you know. 42s are the smaller ones and 44 or 47mm are the norm. I ended up with my 3706 Flieger. That'll work great for me at 39mm. But there's no gettin' over those blued hands.

If my wrists some day grow an inch I'd love a GO Navigator B-Uhr.

More light than heat
Picture of Milliron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Very cool Milliron! I love it. I yearn for a B-Uhr Flieger, but they (of course) trend big, as you know. 42s are the smaller ones and 44 or 47mm are the norm. I ended up with my 3706 Flieger. That'll work great for me at 39mm. But there's no gettin' over those blued hands.

If my wrists some day grow an inch I'd love a GO Navigator B-Uhr.

Did you know the original Fliegers (the ones actually issued to the Luftwaffe) were 55mm and had an extra long strap so it could go over the flight jacket? Imagine that on your wrist. I saw one listed for sale on a European watch auction listed for 10,000 Euro. Eek

I too dislike the "super large watch" trend, and this watch at 42mm wears big because of its large face and small bezel. I was showing my wife the blued hands last night ("That's not paint honey, those babies are blued" Wink )

"Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. It's only advantage, so far as I have been able to see, is that it spans change. A young person sees the world as a still picture, immutable. An old person has had his nose rubbed in changes and more changes and still more changes so many times that that he knows it is a moving picture, forever changing. He may not like it--probably doesn't; I don't--but he knows it's so, and knowing is the first step in coping with it."

Robert Heinlein

Posts: 8798 | Location: West Chester, Ohio | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Milliron:
Finally got my Grail Watch, a Stowa Flieger Ohnelogo with date:

There aren't many watches still on my list, but the Stowa Flieger is one of them. I'll go with no date, but that is a beauty.

The blueing is spectacular. I have a Grand Seiko with a blued second hand and that is about half the reason I chose that model. I also generally don't like large watches, and since that watch is all dial it looks even bigger, but a flieger is supposed to be large.

Very nice.

Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fischtown7:
That is one nice Stowa, is next on my list. I have large wrists so they do not look too big on me. Although I think 55 is too big. Love my Laco did not have to wait as long as you do for a Stowa but I guess I need to go ahead and order me one.

Laco Aachen Flieger B model

Posts: 3572 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More light than heat
Picture of Milliron
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I was torn between the A model and the B model. It's pretty sexy and unique.

Robert Heinlein