SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Milliron:
Yeah, I was torn between the A model and the B model. It's pretty sexy and unique.

Love yours with the date, Laco makes one that is almost an exact copy of the original flieger. But I want a Stowa next.

Posts: 3572 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
résidait cajun regardant un couyon tête du pays
Picture of neiltus
posted Hide Post
I thought hard about a Stowa Marine...

they are sharp looking...

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freedom is the
oxygen of the soul
Picture of 10P8TRIOT
posted Hide Post
My Latest Project

Before: Seiko SKX171 (Oct 2005), Murphy Coin Edge Bezel, Seiko SKX007 Bezel Insert, Seiko Samurai Titanium Handset, DAGAZ Double-Domed Sapphire with Blue Inner AR

After: Seiko PMMM, assembled by Duarte at NEWW

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Μολὼν λαβέ

Posts: 1086 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: December 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Wow! Nice!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
That is nice. What are you planning for the strap/bracelet?

Posts: 11388 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
But don't the trees
seem nice and full
Picture of Snailfan
posted Hide Post
Second what Rogue said and asked. Good stuff. Also, was the whole watch bead blasted or re-finished in some way as well?

Posts: 1317 | Location: Near Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
Currently wearing a Marathon TSAR. Should have got the automatic version. This ones got a lot of miles and travels on it. Cross country, Alaska, Canada, Ireland, Scottland, Kuwait and Iraq. Crystal is still good, missing the 12 o'clock triangle, seems like that's normal, and some suff and scrapes on the case. The Tritium is already past one half life and it shows. I keep wearing it for the sentiment, but sometimes I think it's time to retire it and start over. I'd hate to loose it now. It lives on a Zulu bad these days. One day I'll post a photo.

I bought it, actually it was a gift, because it had Tritium and I didn't care for the Luminox Navy Seal markings. It holds good enough time and I haven't been able to hurt it. I think it may get a SS band and be my nice watch.

All that to for this question, what other quality brands have Tritium faces/hands? I know Ball does but they are out of my price range for a watch. Luminox seems decent. I'm happy with a diver style with just the date. Accuracy and dependability is more important than a name and I'd rather not have something that has to be serviced.

I have the auto model that I simply cannot get off my wrist. It too has been thru hell and missing the bezel pip at 12. These things are just tougher than nails! And decent looking as well.

I have thought I might just sell all my other watches as I never seem to wear them.

RMD

My pip fell off a few years ago, I found a guy who sells the pips pre-cut. It would be simple enough to do on your own, I suppose, but I bought some from him (I think he did $20 for 3 at a time) and replaced it, hasn't came off since.

If you are interested, let me know an email address and I'll send you the information.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you are interested, let me know an email address and I'll send you the information.

Chongo:

Email in profile.
Thanks,

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating, sleeping and boinking. Everything else is just Filler.
Picture of terma-nator
posted Hide Post
Here's something that I've been wanting to do for a while.
After finding the last piece (the case) I put it together.

It's a Flieger style watch similar to IWC's versions...

All swiss parts, including the Valjoux 7750 movement. Total cost under $500.00

I love it here!

My Gun collection:
Too many to list. Lets just say that the zombies should look elsewhere.

Posts: 1671 | Location: Back in the good 'ol U.S.A. (South Fla) | Registered: April 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
That is very special! Great work!

RMD

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Valjoux 7750 movements are awesome workhorses. I really like the subdial layout a lot.

Where did you source the parts?

Posts: 11388 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of terma-nator
posted Hide Post
I sourced most of the parts from http://shop.sk-watchparts.com/en_GB

Some from ofrei, and got a great deal on the movements years ago on eBay.

I love it here!

My Gun collection:

Posts: 1671 | Location: Back in the good 'ol U.S.A. (South Fla) | Registered: April 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is really cool. How easy or hard was that to do? Have you been working with watches before this project? What tools did you use?

Posts: 1680 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of terma-nator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mekaus:
That is really cool. How easy or hard was that to do? Have you been working with watches before this project? What tools did you use?

I have worked on watches before. But in a limited fashion. I have a medium sized collection so I have modified several in the past, and repainted the hands and dials of some watches with new luminous paint. My job has me working under a microscope to repair small endoscope lenses, so I was used to working on small objects. I bought a simple tool kit for watches, and away I went.
The tools that were handy for this build were a back remover, some tiny screwdrivers (for working on the movement) and some good quality tweezers.

I love it here!

My Gun collection:

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info.

Posts: 1680 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Here's an article/interview about Alton Brown's vintage watch interests.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
It is the fault of this forum that I gave in to a latent watch fever a few months ago, so I guess I need to post a picture or two. Here is the latest, a Ball Hydrocarbon Airborne.

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Here's an article/interview about Alton Brown's vintage watch interests.

He should do a TV show about watches. He could call it Good Beats.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
My mother-in-law gave my oldest son his grandfather's Rolex. This watch is probably from the '70, and more like the early '70s. Rolex made this version from the mid '60s to 1984.

This needs a service, a crystal, and some cleaning, but the case is in good shape.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Exactly like my dad's.

Which, after he got Alzheimer's but before he was diagnosed, he sold to 'some outfit in Texas' for some pittance.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post