SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I unloaded a few watches recently that were not getting worn and got something with a nice vintage feel.

I’m beginning to think that a 39mm watch size is just perfect.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ I like that!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38676 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Me, too. Steinharts keep catching my eye.

Posts: 17127 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Thank you for the guidance, Brian.
Is that typically a send-it-to-Seiko kind of repair?
It used to be that most large jewelers had a watchmaker in house, but that's getting less and less common. Sending it in may have a longer turn around time, but it's reliable.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
For the money Steinhart is incredible. They get lots of hate because of making quality Rolex homage watches but they also have a few original designs that are neat too. The Ocean Two Premium is one of their original designs that I am quite fond of.

I was lucky enough to get an Ocean 39 GMT with an ETA 2893-2 movement too! Nothing against the Sellita SW330 but it’s nice to finally get an ETA powered Steinie.
You can see the ETA logo right under the word “Vintage” engraved on the case back. (It’s directly under the letters VIN)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I feel I'm not pulling my weight around here. Time to make some changes...

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Nato or mesh? Hmmm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Nato or mesh?
I'd vote for NATO, but not that color; I'd go with black, blue, or red...or the original James Bond colors from Goldfinger: alternating navy blue and olive stripes separated by a thin burgundy line.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
NATO all day, but then admittedly, I'm not a fan of the way the mesh bracelets look to begin with. I also agree with BrianO on the colors. That one right there for sure could pull off the Bond strap look.

Posts: 17127 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m afraid to join the band, but I’m joining the band.

I don’t like the look or feel of mesh bracelets and I love NATO straps.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I love this Steinhart on mesh. It’s so small, light and thin that I forget I’m wearing a watch. I put everything on mesh eventually, mesh and NATO straps are my two favorite strap options.

The Steinie is borrowing the mesh bracelet from my beater Omega Seamaster Professional until I can cut a new mesh band for it. The case on the Seamaster is slightly longer so this mesh is a little too tight. I have a spare 20mm brushed mesh bracelet I’m going to clip down to size today. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of motorheadjohn
posted Hide Post
Nice Steinhart! I have an Ocean 1, bought through gnomon without the date fisheye, gorgeous watch for the money.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: October 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I'm squarely in the NATO camp for divers. As much for the comfort as for the security.

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Yeah it’s lack of a cyclops is one of the best features on this vintage styled Steinie. I wish they had more watch offerings without the stupid magnifier.

This 39mm Steinhart makes my Seiko Samurai feel HUGE on the wrist. I’m starting to think 39-41mm watch cases are ideal for my wrist size. Steinhart FINALLY started to supply smaller 1/2 size links on their bracelet so you can fine tune the fit of your bracelet. I am hoping they show up on the 42mm watch bracelets.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah it’s lack of a cyclops is one of the best features on this vintage styled Steinie. I wish they had more watch offerings without the stupid magnifier.

This 39mm Steinhart makes my Seiko Samurai feel HUGE on the wrist. I’m starting to think 39-41mm watch cases are ideal for my wrist size. Steinhart FINALLY started to supply smaller 1/2 size links on their bracelet so you can fine tune the fit of your bracelet. I am hoping they show up on the 42mm watch bracelets.

I agree, with a few exceptions 39 is about perfect for me. I do have some bigger watches, but they are decidedly "bigger." I have gorilla arms, so 36mm seems a little small, but maybe not crazy small.

On another note, Stickman, does your wife still have that white Steinhart? I went back to their website and they have changed that model by changing the hands and hour indicators to gold. I can't say the gold is to my taste, but maybe I should be happy that they saved me from myself.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Yeah, she still has it though it’s rarely worn.

I saw the new MOP white & gold 39 and I’m not too fond of it either. Sure, the gold adds more contrast but the original version was never difficult to read.

I’m on the hunt now for a 38-39mm Bronze case automatic GMT diver style watch. Preferably micro brand and not crazy $$$. There must be something out there that checks those boxes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
This week is Samurai week for me. I'm loving it. For about 20 years, a Seiko titanium chrono was my everyday. I got used to wearing a light watch.

Then along comes this watch thread (gee, thanks! Razz ) and along with it came a Seiko Sea Urchin, a Seiko solar PADI (thanks, craigcpa!), and a Samurai. I've gotten used to wearing heavy (and maybe slightly too large for my skinny wrists) watches. I'm loving the "heavyweights" now.

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
On the subject of Seiko Samurai watches did y’all see that Seiko FINALLY decided to make one with a sapphire crystal BUT the idiots put a hideous cyclops magnifier on the crystal. Ugh. So close to perfection. The stingray dial on the new king Samurai is pretty impressive shame they had to ruin it with the cyclops.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
On the subject of Seiko Samurai watches did y’all see that Seiko FINALLY decided to make one with a sapphire crystal BUT the idiots put a hideous cyclops magnifier on the crystal. Ugh. So close to perfection. The stingray dial on the new king Samurai is pretty impressive shame they had to ruin it with the cyclops.

Have you ever removed the cyclops magnifier on top of a crystal? Dental floss with a little heat (hair dryer) has been known to work. Razor blades too if the dental floss doesn't do the trick.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m on the hunt now for a 38-39mm Bronze case automatic GMT diver style watch. Preferably micro brand and not crazy $$$. There must be something out there that checks those boxes.

Christopher Ward had a bronze Trident GMT in 38mm. Still shows up from time to time in their big clearance and Nearly New sales. The new release Trident MK3 bronze is 40mm but no GMT yet.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2387 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post