SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:...My Seiko 5 is losing some 25 s/d and I'm thinking of sending it in under the warranty...

I doubt that they would consider regulating it to be covered under warranty, since the Seiko 5 is not a certified chronometer, and no guarantee of sub-minute accuracy is stated or implied.

I tried calling them a couple months ago but couldn't get through to anybody. Guess I'll try again, and if they tell me it's not covered, I'll have to try it myself. I don't look forward to it, though, since my vision isn't what it used to be.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:...Guess I'll try again, and if they tell me it's not covered, I'll have to try it myself. I don't look forward to it, though, since my vision isn't what it used to be.

A couple of options:

1) Take it a jeweler with a large watch department and see if they can do it. (It might be too costly to be worth it, though, since they have to pay a watchmaker the same hourly rate regardless of if he's working on a Rolex or a Timex.)

2) If you don't want to tackle it yourself, and if you don't mind it being gone for a couple of weeks, you could send it to me. I'll regulate it for free if you pay the postage.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the offer, Brian, and I'll keep it in mind. It's been losing time since about a month after I got it (last April), at an increasing rate, so I'm not altogether convinced it's simply running slow. The first week or two, it gained about 10 or 15 seconds a day, which I could live with, then ran about zero loss/gain for a few days, then gradually began to lose time, getting about 5 seconds a day worse each month.

I'm not in a rush, but I'll try to call Seiko again next week, and if I don't reach somebody I'll send them an e-mail. If they won't fix it, I'll PM you.

Again, thanks for your offer to help.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:The first week or two, it gained about 10 or 15 seconds a day, which I could live with, then ran about zero loss/gain for a few days, then gradually began to lose time, getting about 5 seconds a day worse each month.

That's not uncommon for a new "value-priced" watch. As it runs, the lubricants settle into their final resting positions; the mainspring gets a little less "springy," which can change the amplitude of the balance wheel's oscillations; and so forth. High-end watches are always allowed to run for a while to settle down before final timing, but others are usually rushed from assembly to the shipping department in short order.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:

Invicta's run the gamut from nice watches like yours to bizarro world. What Seiko movement is in it? NH35?

RMD

Yep! Seiko is good stuff.
I was hoping for the Swiss but for $50, I still can't go wrong I suppose.

The Swiss is a 7750?

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39753 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Invicta's run the gamut from nice watches like yours to bizarro world.
RMD

Couldn't agree with your more. I sometimes catch the Invicta sales on Evine, a home shopping channel, when I'm bored and wonder WTF are the designers thinking?

Posts: 708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Swiss is a 7750?

Not for $50 . 7750's are pretty expensive depending upon the grade of the movement.

7750's are a chronograph movement. The Swiss movement for that watch would be an ETA 2824-2 or one of the Sellita movements.

Cool watch never the less. And hard to go wrong with the SEIKO movement. I prefer it to the Miyota.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was thinking about buying an Orient Ray 2 diver until I found out about a new JDM version. I thought I’d pass this along since there are Orient fans around.

Price is $336 at creationwatches.com. FYI: I don’t know anything about this seller.

http://www.creationwatches.com...ens-watch-12614.html

ETA: I’m horrified. Orient has a lot of divers besides the Mako and Ray lines. Dang it.

Posts: 3954 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Orient makes some perfectly fine divers. I have one similar to that you pictured. I'm not crazy about the power indicator on the dial, but that's the style these days. A lot of top end manufacturers are including them.

The Orient Saturation diver is rated to 300M and is a treasured find. It will cost you though and it doesn't have the power indicator on some models.

Look around, prices vary widely from dealer to dealer.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
Still trying to scratch the Omega Speedy Pro itch until I can find one for a price I am willing to pay. Picked up this Seiko solar chronograph on the cheap using Kohls cash and a sale price plus 30% off....shipped to me for less than 70 bucks. I like the Porsche 917 LeMans vibe.

What is reference number on that one?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

What is reference number on that one?

SSC667

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
A small modification I have just about finished. Seiko SKX007 with a blue sunburst dial and Omega-style (Proplof) hands, a polished chapter ring, and blue bezel insert. Not an homage to any particular watch, I just wanted to see these parts together. Now I need to regulate the movement. The second hand was defective and I have asked for a replacement to be shipped. We'll see how the seller responds. Seiko second hand for now.

RMD

Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
OK, I want a Seiko diver now!
But it's gotta have a bracelet.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39753 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
OK, I want a Seiko diver now!
But it's gotta have a bracelet.

Seiko bracelets are less than perfect. Buy a diver without the bracelet and the buy a StrapCo or Militat bracelet that suits you. Better quality.

RMD

Picture of SVTNate
posted Hide Post
Agree, the end mill StrapCode on my Blue Lagoon was only 75 bucks and is far superior to the junk Seiko provides with the watch.

Even their higher end watches have pretty cheap bracelets on them. This is one area where Seiko falls short. Luckily, it's a cheap fix.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Guns, cars, Cuban cigars

Posts: 2570 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: September 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
What is the opinion on Shinola?

Posts: 9964 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:

They don’t know shit.

Posts: 3954 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:

Overpriced hipster garbage

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
It was okay, but I like Kiwi better.

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
My second Accu Swiss arrived today!

I like this one even more than the first!

I didn't know how I would feel with the deployment strap, but it is amazing! The rose gold toned case is just stunningly elegant.

Swiss chronograph with sapphire glass for $300? Absolutely smoking deal.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post