SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Also considering silver with the red around the pip.

I wish I could find a pic of this exact bezel insert and bezel on an Orange Samurai.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Has anyone ordered factory direct from DOXA? That orange 300T professional as well as the silver searambler are looking tempting.

All 5 of my Doxa's where ordered factory direct. 4 of the 5 where pre ordered(5000T COSC, 1200T Searambler, 200 sea nymph and 300T Poseidon) Never had an issue. Hray

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1142 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
What do you folks consider iconic watches?

From what I own:
Sinn 156 Military
Glycine Airman
Omega Constellation Piepan
Aquastar Benthos I

Others that come to mind:
Omega Speedmaster Cal 321
Rolex Submariner Red Ref 1680
Sinn EZM1

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
What do you folks consider iconic watches?

Rolex Submariner
Rolex Daytona
Omega Speedmaster
Cartier Tank
Patek Calatrava
AP Royal Oak
Tag Monaco
Breitling Navitimer

The Omega Seamaster is not on the same level as above but it's association with James Bond has it closer.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:...The Omega Seamaster is not on the same level as above but it's association with James Bond has it closer.

Ian Fleming's Bond was a Rolex man, as was the film Bond until recently. Bond's Rolex from 'Goldfinger' -- with the too-narrow fabric strap -- is iconic.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:...The Omega Seamaster is not on the same level as above but it's association with James Bond has it closer.

Ian Fleming's Bond was a Rolex man, as was the film Bond until recently. Bond's Rolex from 'Goldfinger' -- with the too-narrow fabric strap -- is iconic.

Recently is pushing it... He's been wearing a Seamaster for 25 years and 9 films now. It is the first and only "official" James Bond watch partnership. He wore Subs, Seikos, Tags, and Breitling, as well.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Iconic?

Almost any of the Rolex sports watches - pick your favorite.

Patek perpetual calendar.

Patek Calatrava, or any of those '50s/'60s era simple dress watches. Pick your favorite.

Speedmaster.

Mickey Mouse watch. (really)

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
Recently is pushing it...

At my age, 25 years IS recently. ;-)

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Iconic?

To me:

Rolex sub
Rolex Daytona
Seiko SKX & it’s many predecessors (especially the Turtle) yes, seriously
Omega Speedmaster
Rolex Explorer I & II
& my personal favorite...
Omega Seamaster

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Iconic? or Classic?..

I think there are many listed above that certainly are at least classics. Maybe iconic, but perhaps to me, iconic would require that they are recognized by a larger population than just watch people, no? I mean, I'm not sure.

So anyway, I'll add the A386 Zenith El Primero. And of course, if it's an icon you want....

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Iconic? or Classic?..

I think there are many listed above that certainly are at least classics. Maybe iconic, but perhaps to me, iconic would require that they are recognized by a larger population than just watch people, no? I mean, I'm not sure.

So anyway, I'll add the A386 Zenith El Primero. And of course, if it's an icon you want....

Great minds . . .

And I agree - iconic means something recognized by everyone as significant.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Well excuse me. Smile

I thought iconic as I used it reflected significance recognized by the horological community.

I'll go back to my corner now.....

Gesh Frown

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well excuse me. Smile

I thought iconic as I used it reflected significance recognized by the horological community.

I'll go back to my corner now.....

Gesh Frown

Not what I thought of for iconic, but not wrong, either. Just a matter of definition.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Not what I thought of for iconic, but not wrong, either. Just a matter of definition.

My lament wasn't directed at you specifically but rather at all the comments about classic vs iconic.

Note in my first post on this subject I didn't just say, for example, Rolex Submariner but specifically the Red version which I feel is the best of that breed and hence iconic.

Oh well. Just wanted to spice up this thread a bit. I tried....

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Anyone get a new Capt’n Willard? I went to Gnomon’s website after seeing an email and both versions are already sold out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:

Should I try to fix the crystal myself? How hard is it to press them in and out?

You will need a GOOD crystal press (Not the cheap eBay crap), the crystal and the specific gasket for that watch, the crystal press dies to fit the crystal and watch case.

It's not brain surgery, but the first time is a bit scary.

Good Luck,

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

My lament wasn't directed at you specifically but rather at all the comments about classic vs iconic.

Note in my first post on this subject I didn't just say, for example, Rolex Submariner but specifically the Red version which I feel is the best of that breed and hence iconic.

Oh well. Just wanted to spice up this thread a bit. I tried....

I'm just chatting and enjoying the conversation too. Certainly didn't mean anything toward you or your introduction of the topic, just another thought toward the subject. I enjoy these sort of deliberations. It's part of the fun of watches.
Debating minutia is what we do.

WIS (term used to describe watch nerds) actually stands for Watch Idiot Savant. Haha

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I didn’t really care for the Mido’s original bracelet. When my Seiko got road rash recently I decided to remove its bracelet, which miraculously came out with only a VERY minor scrape or two and try it out on the Mido.

It adds a bit of weight over the factory bracelet and feels fantastic on the wrist. I am not 100% sure about it’s looks as the straight end links did change the aesthetics a bit but the polishing and brushing on the case and bracelet do match up surprisingly well. Hmmm ...should I keep it like this?

No I’m not about to rear end an old Blazer. I’m in the never ending line at the dang bank. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
That looks great. I really like it with the straight end link. Looks more architectural with the vertical facets in the dial.

I feel like you have a new watch every week... is this accurate?

Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Your Mido and transplant bracelet look fantastic.

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post