SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Game of Thrones Season 7
Page 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 39
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Game of Thrones Season 7 Login/Join 
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
^^^ This is one of the unfortunate byproducts of them having to compress all of the stuff that's supposed to happen into a limited number of episodes. I don't know why they feel the need to rush things, but I guess there were concrete reasons it had to be done. You'd think HBO wouldn't be any hurry to be done with the show, as it's got to be such a huge moneymaker for them. I bet there will be tons of subscription cancellations when it ends, though I'll stick around for Westworld, so long as it remains good.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Was fully expecting to see Theon beaten to death on the beach.

His story arc went from an arrogant jerk, to pathetic creature. Theon became a cowardly, timid, shell of a man, who was incapable to fending for himself and reliant on others; whether a slave or, a free but scared soul. The GoT MO is not one of redemption stories and seeing Theon getting his ass beaten, was expecting his story to end...not one where a knee to the nub/scar gets him a shot of adrenaline.

Cripples, bastards & broken things seem to come in handy in that world. They wouldn't have made the Jon/Theon scene if he wasn't going to come back later. Euron hasn't lost a battle yet, somebody has to take him down at least a notch.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Was fully expecting to see Theon beaten to death on the beach.

His story arc went from an arrogant jerk, to pathetic creature. Theon became a cowardly, timid, shell of a man, who was incapable to fending for himself and reliant on others; whether a slave or, a free but scared soul. The GoT MO is not one of redemption stories and seeing Theon getting his ass beaten, was expecting his story to end...not one where a knee to the nub/scar gets him a shot of adrenaline.

I think redemption stories are part of the MO. Some characters are just underdogs, i.e., Jon, Dany, Tyrion, Arya, Sansa, etc., but Theon, Jamie, and The Hound seem like folks on the path to redemption. Jorah is also a redemption story, though his redemption happened seasons ago.

I got a chuckle from the Afterbuzz aftershow on youtube when someone said "Theon has finally discovered his superpower - NO BALLS!" Big Grin

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
... it wouldn't have made sense to march on the wall before this - they didn't have an ice dragon to knock it down.

They've been marching on the Wall all this time. They only lucked out and acquired a dragon in the last few dozen miles before reaching it.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Two of the things that bother me most about the show are the inaccuracies in time and distance. It's been calculated that the distance between Hardhome and Eastwatch-by-the-Sea is approximately 150 miles and that the army of the dead could cross that distance in about 3 days, yet it's months between when John and Tormund went on their mission to Hardhome and when the dead finally arrive at the Wall. (This is from researching the Internet.)

When Jon leads the expedition to capture a wight, they encounter the army of the dead probably 50 miles from the Wall. (I'm totally guessing this.) So we're supposed to believe that Gendry ran all that distance back to the Wall in the space of a few hours, which is hardly possible, sent a raven 1500 miles to Dragonstone, which would take about 30 hours, and that Dany could fly back on Drogon at an unknown speed. Yet, we see the stranded group as having spent only one night before being rescued by Dany. (This is actually addressed on the Internet, showing that the raven and Drogon would both have to fly at far greater speeds than is realistic.)

this has been pretty much everybody's beef with the show this season.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah the distance thing gets me too.. it's supposed to be like 1000 miles from Winterfeld to Kings Landing, yet Jon Snow seems to travel that in a couple days

And how does an ice breathing dragon destroy an ice wall. Makes no sense

Still can't figure out who will kill The Mountain. Would love to see Arya do it somehow

Will it be Theon or Yara that kills Euron?

Posts: 19 | Registered: September 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
... it wouldn't have made sense to march on the wall before this - they didn't have an ice dragon to knock it down.

They've been marching on the Wall all this time. They only lucked out and acquired a dragon in the last few dozen miles before reaching it.

Perhaps they weren't marching at all. They may have just been hanging out north of the wall. Perhaps waiting on a dragon to come to them. Some speculation about the Night King being able to see past and future like Bran.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
^^^ This is one of the unfortunate byproducts of them having to compress all of the stuff that's supposed to happen into a limited number of episodes. I don't know why they feel the need to rush things, but I guess there were concrete reasons it had to be done. You'd think HBO wouldn't be any hurry to be done with the show, as it's got to be such a huge moneymaker for them. I bet there will be tons of subscription cancellations when it ends, though I'll stick around for Westworld, so long as it remains good.

HBO wants more GoT, it's the showrunners who want to move on to other things.

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slammr:
Yeah the distance thing gets me too.. it's supposed to be like 1000 miles from Winterfeld to Kings Landing, yet Jon Snow seems to travel that in a couple days

Still can't figure out who will kill The Mountain. Would love to see Arya do it somehow

I'm guessing that Sandor kills him with a sword set on fire with his blood ala Berac Dondarrion

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndyRob:
quote:

I stated it earlier in the thread that the show was originally slated to be 7 seasons, so the additional season means we're actually getting 3 more episodes than initially intended. So HBO got its wish. Razz

I've actually considered cancelling my subscription services in favor of buying seasons of individual shows, as it would cost me less in the long run.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
It's not the worst thing, but the stark (haha) contrast between the pace of everything up until recently and these rushed bits is what makes it so annoying. The first 75% of the series is at the GRRM pace - hundreds if not thousands of pages of source material and a slowly developing pace, versus the last 25% that is like Cliff Notes mixed w Fan Fiction.

10 full length seasons would have been ideal, I think. The final acts will be forever disappointing, but I guess it's better than nothing. It's certainly markedly different.

If I re-watch it one day maybe I'll watch the first five seasons on 2x Fast Forward.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
It's interesting to see that it's possible that we'll have to wait until 2019 for the final season. In interviews of actors regarding season 7, a couple have mentioned having to begin production soon after the debut of the first episode of this season. Of course, with the possibility of each episode of next season being longer than the finale for 7, I suppose that means a much longer production schedule. I think I've heard it takes about three months to produce one 1 hour episode.

A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I agree, they've take a lot of liberties with the time element, making it fit the story line they want with no concern that it's unrealistic. Of course we are talking about a show that is steeped in fantasy so maybe it's just magical the characters can move faster than mortal beings.

As and aside, Jon Snow has a really nice ass... not that I lean that way of course. Wink

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
Earlier seasons, people complained that there wasn't enough action and pacing was too slow. Now they complain about the opposite, everything moving too fast.

Personally I've no issues with the jumping around and time issues. They need to take certain creative licenses in order to make budgetary and deadline restrictions.

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

This.
The Double-D's have already moved-on and getting ready for their next project Confederate

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by slammr:

I'm guessing that Sandor kills him with a sword set on fire with his blood ala Berac Dondarrion

Yup, i agree with this. The hound overcomes his fear and triggering to use a flaming sword to kill the zombie mountain.

Welcome back orguss amd 46n2! Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Deqlyn,

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That's why there will be a whole Game of Thrones prequel series coming.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barley:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
I'm not so sure that was an ice dragon.

Seemed like he still breathed fire, only blue.

Are we sure? The wall didn't melt, it was crushed and fell to pieces.

Not positive, but it at least didn't seem like pure ice. Dragon's breath seems to carry a lot of force/staying power beyond mere flame, as if there's a volatile liquid that kind of explodes, and remains for a time after the initial blast.

The fire breathing dragons are breathing a flame much hotter than normal fire, i.e. can burn men straight to ash. I "imagine" that the frost flame is much colder than normal cold so much so that it is creating contraction on the wall that would cause the ice to fracture, etc.

Still we're talking about magical beasts and whatnot.

According to this article, It's still fire, just with a blue tint.

http://www.businessinsider.com...gon-explained-2017-8

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
The only one traveling at realistic speed seems to have been Samwell Tarley.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
So much for my Littlefinger theory.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post