SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Game of Thrones Season 8 *spoiler warning*
Page 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Game of Thrones Season 8 *spoiler warning* Login/Join 
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
And now, as with Starbucks coffee cups, plastic water bottles show up. Just another example of sloppiness and the “I don’t care anymore” attitude toward the fan base.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/g...arley-series-finale/

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
quote:
Originally posted by Silverfox48:
Well at least The Hound went out with Panache.

The Hound stayed true to who he was the whole time. He didn't suddenly change to fit some plot point.

Same for Jorah

Wonder how Jorah would have reacted to her torching all those people?

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
quote:
If Bran “knew” the ending he LET DANY KILL BASICALLY A MILLION PEOPLE

I think its been discussed already in this thread, but Bran can't see the future, only the past and the present in other places.

Posts: 11165 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Life Member
posted Hide Post
Tell me again. What is the Nights Watch mission now the the Night King is gone and the Free Folk are wiped out except for a thousand or so refugees? Also, the Wall is permanently breeched and the Kingdom of the North is an independent kingdom which separates the Wall from the Six Kingdom. Sounds like Jon's reward was to be Commander of a death camp kept open just for him.

I wonder what Tyrion would have said if Drogon had spent the next six months turning Kings Landing and a hundred miles radius into an uninhabitable no mans land and then nested there another couple hundred years. The Dothraki elected a new Kahl and started raiding Westeros also for for centuries. "Oops, I was just trying to get a stooge to do the right thing."

Posts: 2284 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by von Trakehnen:
Tell me again. What is the Nights Watch mission now the the Night King is gone and the Free Folk are wiped out except for a thousand or so refugees? Also, the Wall is permanently breeched and the Kingdom of the North is an independent kingdom which separates the Wall from the Six Kingdom. Sounds like Jon's reward was to be Commander of a death camp kept open just for him.

I wonder what Tyrion would have said if Drogon had spent the next six months turning Kings Landing and a hundred miles radius into an uninhabitable no mans land and then nested there another couple hundred years. The Dothraki elected a new Kahl and started raiding Westeros also for for centuries. "Oops, I was just trying to get a stooge to do the right thing."

I think that's how Tyrion tried to sell it to him. Don't feel bad Jon Boy. You saved our world twice and died once but we still need someone up north to run the Broken Men and Bastards orphanage......chin up.

Jons thinking to himself they better not put up the bat signal for me next time shit goes bad. Everyone else gets a cushy gig and a castle and he gets the shaft.

And yes, it would have been interesting to see things go bad from Tyrions plan to kill Dany. A whole other season of them dorks trying to put that Genie back in the bottle.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
And now, as with Starbucks coffee cups, plastic water bottles show up. Just another example of sloppiness and the “I don’t care anymore” attitude toward the fan base.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/g...arley-series-finale/

In fairness, no television show in history has been so scrutinized and discussed. Are you so certain if every frame of Deadwood or Rome underwent such scrutiny by millions of viewers with huge, HD TVs to go along with their social media accounts, we'd not be learning of some of the same kinds of slip ups? (That's not a defense of the mailed-in writing much of the last 2 seasons.)

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I, too, was concerned about what Drogon might do if/when someone killed Dany. As it turned out, he was a very astute dragon, grasping that her own ruthless ambition for the throne was what really did her in. I suspect if anyone other than Jon had ended her, though, he would have been promptly barbecued. And everything around King's Landing.

I also suspect that was part of why Jon was kept alive. Grey Worm might have been concerned that, if Drogon let Jon live, for whatever reason, he might be pissed if he came back and found Jon had been murdered. That could give a fella pause.

Also, there was the matter of all those men from the North. A live hostage would keep them at bay. A dead Jon Snow would be the end of the Unsullied and Dothraki at the hands of the Northmen. There weren't really that many Unsullied and Dothraki left.

The Battle of Winterfell took out a ton of them. There weren't that many Dothraki riding around behind the formation of Unsullied during Dany's speech. Maybe a few hundred, but certainly not thousands. Even the massed ranks of Unsullied wouldn't have composed huge numbers. Without Drogon to help them, they weren't getting out of King's Landing alive.

Which is also why negotiations resulted, instead of a pitched battle as the North sought revenge for Jon.

And the counsel was overbalanced in favor of Stark interests. The combination of Sansa's political acumen and the North having the strongest remaining force was enough to get a Stark on the throne. Bran was an effective compromise for the non-Starks to vote for because it didn't create a Stark dynasty in the Six Kingdoms. Sansa got a free North, which was really what she cared most about. No way was Bran going to say no to her. My guess is the others didn't demand to be separate kingdoms because they recognized the need for centralized rule in Westeros and, again, Bran didn't represent a dynasty - just a place keeper. They could always rebel later, if the opportunity arose and they wanted to, or they could just wait him out and elect a new king when he died. And, the North had the strongest remaining army.

Posts: 631 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
For those interested Ben Shapiro did his end of thrones review. I don’t know how to link it. He does say almost exactly what I said two pages ago about what should have happened after Jon killed Dany. I find Shapiro to be a pretty smart dude, so that’s kind of validating

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Don't think this has been posted yet.

And I thought I remembered the story being at the time that the guy playing Barristan Selmy wanted to move on from the show, but according to that interview that wasn't the case.

Posts: 11165 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by murphman:
And, the North had the strongest remaining army.

Nope. Dorne didn't participate in any of the fighting at all. Their armies would have been at full strength.

According to GRRM himself, Dorne's military strength is roughly equal to the North or the Vale. Both both of those armies were heavily devastated by the fighting against the Throne, and against the Dead.

Whereas Dorne's wasn't.

Dorne was in the perfect position to declare independence, which is what they want, and nobody was in any position to challenge them.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I wonder if he considers a prequel to be a spinoff, since he's currently working on one as writer.

You mean "The Hedge Knight?" That was written in 1998! It spawned two more novels and a six-series comic book. It is set 90 years before GoT and features the adventures of "Dunk" (the future Lord Commander of the Kingsguard) and "Egg" (the future king Aegon V Targaryen).

I read the first. It's typical GRRM, whose writing I like.

Damn! I just started reading these novels. lol. Oh well... It is a spoiler thread

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I wonder if he considers a prequel to be a spinoff, since he's currently working on one as writer.

You mean "The Hedge Knight?" That was written in 1998! It spawned two more novels and a six-series comic book. It is set 90 years before GoT and features the adventures of "Dunk" (the future Lord Commander of the Kingsguard) and "Egg" (the future king Aegon V Targaryen).

I meant a television series.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Another question for those in the know: During the scene in Tyrion's prison cell with Jon, They both refer to Daenerys as Dany. Is that something they had done before? It caught my ear and I couldn't remember anyone referring to her that way previously.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Jon called her Dany a lot

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner: Just another example of sloppiness and the “I don’t care anymore” attitude toward the fan base.

Hey now, whoa! we got to see everyone's favorite dire wolf Ghost and Jon finally showing some affection for his loyal but aloof buddy.
quote:
Originally posted by von Trakehnen:
Tell me again. What is the Nights Watch mission now the the Night King is gone and the Free Folk are wiped out except for a thousand or so refugees?

Considering the remaining nobles are intent on retaining their society of dynastic fiefdoms, the Knights Watch remains a place where criminals and bastards could serve out their time. The Wildlings aren't a threat and the Other is wiped-out so, what they do is probably split wood and crack rocks rebuilding the various castles/forts.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It was pointed out elsewhere online that Davos and Bronn's banter in their final scene is even funnier when you recall that, up until a couple seasons ago, Davos was illiterate. Now he's correcting Bronn's grammar. Big Grin

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
Another question for those in the know: During the scene in Tyrion's prison cell with Jon, They both refer to Daenerys as Dany. Is that something they had done before? It caught my ear and I couldn't remember anyone referring to her that way previously.
Jon has for quite awhile; I don't recall Tyrion saying it though.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
Y'all are underestimating just how devious Bran was. Ever since he became the 3ER, he's been guiding events to this point.

He played the game better than anyone, because no one even knew he was playing.

Bullshit. Doesn't pass the sniff test. This was a sloppily written cop-out, plain and simple, not a culmination of his hidden character development as some sort of Machiavellian genius.

The funny thing is, we spent umpteen pages grousing about Dany's slightly out of left field (but not really) transformation. But then they drop this kind of ridiculous bullshit in the finale, which makes Dany's stuff pale in comparison because there was at least some prior groundwork laid for it, even if the end result was horribly rushed.

Sorry I forgot the sarcasm tags.

I never say "y'all" seriously.

Posts: 3660 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
It was pointed out elsewhere online that Davos and Bronn's banter in their final scene is even funnier when you recall that, up until a couple seasons ago, Davos was illiterate. Now he's correcting Bronn's grammar. Big Grin

Hmmm.... I don't recall Davos speaking incorrectly, even before Shireen taught him to read. "Can't read" and "uses poor grammar" are two different things.

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post