SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Game of Thrones Season 8 *spoiler warning*
Page 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... 47
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Game of Thrones Season 8 *spoiler warning* Login/Join 
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
So, basically, we got 8 seasons for Jon Snow to replace Mance Rayder. That’s the whole show.

I agree with whomever said it should have been the 4 kingdoms with Dorne and the Iron Islands declaring their independence as well

Let me tell you how I write the scene with Dany

Jon kills Dany, then after Drogon mourns Dany he recognizes Jon as a Targaryen.

Jon walks out with Dany and Drogon behind him and declares he is Aegon Targaryen, first of his name, blah blah blah

And tells the unsullied to bury their queen. Grey Worm gets all brodie but with Drogon behind Jon, can only seethe

Jon then sends the unsullied and Dothraki away, and then he can relinquish the crown he never wanted, I *guess* to Bran (what bullshit was that)

At any rate...the season was a shit sandwich...

Where did all the Dothraki and unsullied come from? It sure as shit looked like a lot more died fighting the night king...maybe there were more than I thought?

It was weak bullshit to kill Viserion that easily but then nothing can hit drogon..they just didn’t want to deal with the CGI and having to explain what two dragons do

This season is getting brutalized and it deserves everything it gets.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Well, hey...at least he pet the dog.

yep,

and they rode off into the,,, snow

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Well the leaks were true and the team of D&D (erstwhile known as Dickhead and Dickless) who wrote this fiasco of season 8 including the woefully lame finale said they would be in hiding with their cells off during the broadcast and some time after. Might be well advised to just stay "disappeared."

If the movie Battlefield Earth was one of the all time worse, this GoT season finale should rank among the all time worse series "wrap ups."

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16215 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
If the movie Battlefield Earth was one of the all time worse, this GoT season finale should rank among the all time worse series "wrap ups."
You obviously have never seen Dexter - it was orders of magnitude worse than anything else out there.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
You obviously have never seen Dexter - it was orders of magnitude worse than anything else out there.

Correctamundo...wasn't a Showtime subscriber. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16215 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
Pretty solid wrap-up I thought. As has been mentioned, no way to do it without pissing off a large number of people.

And I don't blame HBO writers a bit. Martin is the one who dropped the ball. They had eight freakin' years of shows - during any of which he could have finished the books, but he liked having his ego stroked and keeping everyone in suspense.

I've read all the books, and frankly, I don't give a damn if he ever finishes them. The ending portrayed suits me just fine.
Agreed, it worked ok and there is plenty of 'damned if you do, damned if you don't'.

I would have preferred Jon riding Drogon after killing Dany, and setting shit straight that way but overall it was fine - I wasn't happy having him go to the Night's Watch, but seeing him march North with Tormund and Ghost was a saving move for me.

In the end any downfall in the show lays at GRRMs feet. They were supposed to make a show from his books, but after his fame shot through the roof I don't think he got writer block and didn't want the weight of having to produce. And I really don't care if he ever gets around to it.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Honestly, the two worst endings I have ever seen were Dexter and Sons Of Anarchy. Those were shows that started strong for 3-4 seasons, then had a never ending downward arc that just got worse and worse and worse - I simply watched to see the final crashes, which were mind-numbingly awful.

Could GOT 7 & 8 been better? Absolutely. I cringed at Sam yammering on about 'maybe everyone should vote' SJW inject, but I think that HBO / Directors / Writers did the best they could with what they had. A couple of extra episodes could have helped flesh it all out, but I think in the end would have been the same general landing.

It started off great, had some high points the last 2 season (with a lot of flat points too), but overall is a good solid series IMO.

And for those raging against it, watch SOA & Dexter if you need a true reference for a fucking awful series endings that take 2-3 seasons and get worse and worse... Wink

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Or a Netflix subscriber?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Weak

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:

Or a Netflix subscriber?

Nope

USN (RET), COTEP #192

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Dexter and SOA were absolutely terrible in regards to their season endings. But it started midway through the series, and became a chore to finish. GOT was great until the last two abbreviated seasons.

The one that takes the cake though, is "Bloodline". Nothing has disappointed me more than that ending.

The two shows that had perfect endings and set the bar for me were "Six Feet Under" and "Breaking Bad."

GOT is somewhere in the Sopranos category.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
Dexter and SOA were absolutely terrible in regards to their season endings. But it started midway through the series, and became a chore to finish. GOT was great until the last two abbreviated seasons.

The one that takes the cake though, is "Bloodline". Nothing has disappointed me more than that ending.

The two shows that had perfect endings and set the bar for me were "Six Feet Under" and "Breaking Bad."

GOT is somewhere in the Sopranos category.

Yes... SOA was going down for a while, it was a slog to get through to the end. GOT was great up until this season.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GoT started to unravel by s.6, Double-D's ran out of source material and beside creating a TV show, also had to write fantasy fiction. Regardless of GRRM giving them the frame work of the end, they had to fill-in the gaps and create the arcs. This final season had too many conclusions that betrayed those character's story arcs. This last episode wasn't horrible but, it was anti-climatic.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
Y'all are underestimating just how devious Bran was. Ever since he became the 3ER, he's been guiding events to this point. He played the game better than anyone, because no one even knew he was playing.

Correct-amundo - my buddy wanted Bran to be Keyser Soze and get up from the wheelchair and start dancing at the end.

Posts: 5585 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And to think these two will helm a Star Wars trilogy.... Frown

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men have insurance." JALLEN

Posts: 961 | Location: Shadow of St. Helens | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Why does Bran need a Master Of Whisperers? Can't he already see everything? Nothing "bittersweet" about that ending as everyone got what they wanted.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Sorry I don’t buy it. Nothing in these writers shows me they were that clever. Everything they did this year was purely manipulated by deus ex machina to then be abandoned later. Need to instill fear and doom In the fight with the night king, let’s show all the Dothraki dying. Don’t worry, they’ll be back when we need them in episodes 5 and 6. Same with the unsullied. We need Viserion for Jon to ride around on in episodes 1-3 but we don’t want to deal with another cgi dragon in episode 5 so we will have these scorpion quarrels hit unerringly around a mountain in episode 4 but be completely useless in episode 5. I could go on

If we do assume that Bran was Keyser Sose it means he manipulated events for Dany to kill a
Million people and is just as culpable but none Of the other characters are bright enough to figure this out. This is not better

My favorite meme of the morning showed the reconstruction of the red keep and it was a bunch of guys installing wheelchair ramps

It was just bad. It went down hill dramatically when it departed the source material and it was a rush to the finish. Which was practically a fairy tale ending. The OPPOSITE of “if you think this ends well you haven’t been paying attention”.

Bran is so brilliant he could manipulate himself into being king but then chose a cutthroat sellsword whose entire experience with money was whores, who spent the whole series selling himself to whoever would promise him the biggest keep. But his brilliance is so logic defying we can’t even figure out how such a man is the PERFECT guy to put in charge of all the money in the realm. Within a year Bronn will be living on some beach in Essos and the kingdom will be miraculously broke

quote:
Originally posted by LastCubScout:
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
Y'all are underestimating just how devious Bran was. Ever since he became the 3ER, he's been guiding events to this point. He played the game better than anyone, because no one even knew he was playing.

Correct-amundo - my buddy wanted Bran to be Keyser Soze and get up from the wheelchair and start dancing at the end.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kevbo,

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
...In the fight with the night king, let’s show all the Dothraki dying. Don’t worry, they’ll be back when we need them in episodes 5 and 6....

And, better yet, they show up en masse in Episode 6 when needed (in the parade ground for Dany to address and rile up in their native tongue) and then you don't see them the rest of the show.

Which may have been a good thing I guess, because while Drogon might give Jon a pass - not having seen the deed and Jon being a Targaryen and all - and the Unsullied might accept whatever Grey Worm tells them to accept, you've got to wonder how a horde of undisciplined Dothraki - no strangers to sacking a city and no qualms at carnage - would react when their Khaleesi is suddenly offed at, from their perspective, the peak of her game.

Well, you wouldn't really have to wonder very long.... Wink

That said, dealing with a large crew of vengeful Dothraki could have really gotten in the way of wrapping up in an hour and a half. Probably no choice but to let it slide and hope nobody's taking notes.

Given the rest of this season's arc, I'm mostly OK with the directions taken. I don't know who other than Jon could have taken Dany out. Maybe the reason Jon's heritage didn't come up in the succession discussions, was because they made the call that heredity should not be the path of succession going forward, so maybe the existence of still another Targaryen wouldn't have mattered. Anyway, I think Jon got a raw, but not horrendous, deal.

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Yes... and the Maester for the King, has only two locks in his chain?

Brienne leaves her service to Sansa? Nope, she would be Queensguard. Pod maybe would stay and be the guard for Bran.

For years now, I am not Brandon Stark anymore, I am something else, blah blah blah. Now, OK ill be the king.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
For years now, I am not Brandon Stark anymore, I am something else, blah blah blah. Now, OK ill be the king.

Similar for Arya. She abandons the Faceless Men because she feels so strongly about going home, I'm a Stark, family forever, etc. etc.

And then bails on her family immediately after killing the Night King, first to go seek revenge on Cersei, and then after a second brief reunion, again to sail off into the sunset never to return.

Lots of "out of character" (to one extent or another) moments in this season.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post