SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Game of Thrones Season 8 *spoiler warning*
Page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 47
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Game of Thrones Season 8 *spoiler warning* Login/Join 
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
On a second look....

Gendry, Tormund, and Grey Worm are in a shot together at the end.

Ser Brienne , Ser Jamie, and Pod(they damn well better knight him now) are also together.

I think it is cool that everyone who was in the room with Tyrion in episode 2, when he said he thought they would all make it based on their survival of previous battles, did in fact make it.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
https://www.gamespot.com/artic...t-with/1100-6466520/

Interesting, and basically correct commentary. The criticism is that the battle was a cheat to all the layering and possibilities opened up for the whole series. The show took the easiest way out, and simply had the Night King's army get wiped out in a fairly predictable way. Not only that, the argument is that one of the main themes has been that the characters' own personal struggles, even if they are for the throne, are not important in comparison to the threat from the north. But that threat turned out to be easily met.

In other words, despite eight years of warnings, winter is not coming.

Counterpoint (I'm not saying which I agree with - I don't have a firm opinion yet.)

https://reason.com/2019/04/29/...g-night-arya-cersei/

"It's called Game of Thrones for a reason: This is a show about the ambitions of a slew of characters vying for supreme political power."

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
https://www.gamespot.com/artic...t-with/1100-6466520/

Interesting, and basically correct commentary. The criticism is that the battle was a cheat to all the layering and possibilities opened up for the whole series. The show took the easiest way out, and simply had the Night King's army get wiped out in a fairly predictable way. Not only that, the argument is that one of the main themes has been that the characters' own personal struggles, even if they are for the throne, are not important in comparison to the threat from the north. But that threat turned out to be easily met.

In other words, despite eight years of warnings, winter is not coming.

Counterpoint (I'm not saying which I agree with - I don't have a firm opinion yet.)

https://reason.com/2019/04/29/...g-night-arya-cersei/

"It's called Game of Thrones for a reason: This is a show about the ambitions of a slew of characters vying for supreme political power."

I see the point. And it is true that despite tediously repeated warnings that "winter is coming" the story did actually focus more on the inter-Westerosian political struggle. But, still feels like a bit of a gyp to snuff out the Night King so quickly and in such an offhand way.

Perhaps we were meant to be duped and distracted by the warnings about impending doom from the north, when the real doom is coming from Cersei.

Except, even if Cersei wins, it will be unpleasant for her enemies (and maybe for most people), but not world ending. If the Night King marched all the way to Dorne, it would have been doom for everyone.

I would have liked it better, if, at least, it took a little more effort and something really clever to defeat the Night King. This has the feel of having to get the Night King out of the way quickly, after having spent much of the last season or two hyping him up.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would have liked it better, if, at least, it took a little more effort and something really clever to defeat the Night King. This has the feel of having to get the Night King out of the way quickly, after having spent much of the last season or two hyping him up.

Perhaps the NK story line was used to create a scenario where the writers could unite the players against Cersi and possibly a function of a limited number of episodes left in production, or both

Imagine the next episode will incorporate the story line of the houses of the North coming together to battle against Westeros,

It's always been about the throne...

In the end it could be that nobody is shown sitting on the throne, as with Tony Soprano who was referenced earlier, while it won't be a screen that goes black, it may well end with a shot of the Throne, empty,

Leaving the option to do a Movie on it down the road ala Deadwood....

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty underwhelmed with how fast the end of the NK came. We've had years of 'Winter is Coming' and he's the big bad boogey man, which he is and it's over by episode 3.

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2673 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig 226:
I'm pretty underwhelmed with how fast the end of the NK came. We've had years of 'Winter is Coming' and he's the big bad boogey man, which he is and it's over by episode 3.

But realize that "Winter is Coming" didn't equate to the NK. Winters came and went over the last 1000 years with no NK, and it's still winter.

Could the writers have switched it up a bit, had the NK destroy Winterfell with some heros retreating, only to counterattack and win? Well, that is pretty much what happened without the retreat; their game plan was no retreat, win or lose right here.

I think the main bitch (right now) is not enough main characters died in the battle; but considering the NK likely killed oh 20K+ people in an hour, it is pretty brutal.

Like all popular shows, you can never make everyone happy. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
While I can certainly see where some may be disappointed with the ending of the Night King there are a few things to keep in mind.
1- "Winter is coming" is the motto of House Stark. It means to be ever vigilant and prepared. Winters in Westeros are nothing to toy with. In the north it gets so cold smoke won't rise. They can last entire lifetimes.

2- House Stark is often THE WINTER. As in "Tell them winter came for House Frey."

3- Although the NK was a huge threat, his death does not mean winter is over. I would hazard to say that Winter came early for House Stark and as a House it is doomed. The only ones left of actual House Stark are Sansa and Arya at this point. IF they survive the next three episodes their offspring would carry a different last name. Bran is now the three eyed raven. Even if he was capable he is no longer Brandon Stark. I don't see him carrying on the family name.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by sig 226:

But realize that "Winter is Coming" didn't equate to the NK. Winters came and went over the last 1000 years with no NK, and it's still winter.

I think that's the crux for many viewers, Winter does not = Night King. The vast, vast majority of Northerners had no idea about the Night King or, wights. It had been 1000-years when those stories took place, they were largely dismissed as myths and fairy tales. If anything the NK and his army, represented a unifying force for the living, in their larger mission, to defeat Cersei.

quote:
I think the main bitch (right now) is not enough main characters died in the battle; but considering the NK likely killed oh 20K+ people in an hour, it is pretty brutal.

Like all popular shows, you can never make everyone happy. Wink

How Brienne, Jamie, Tormund, Podrick, and Davos could've actually survived that onslaught is a miracle of Hollywood. Interesting that it was just the Mormont's (Jorah and Lady Lyanna) and the R'hllor believers (Beric Dondarrion and Mellisandre) who died...oh and Theon the Flawed. Wink

There's not much of an army of the North left to march south; Starks, Umbers, Glovers, Manderly, Knights of the Vail, all largely decimated. There could be a wild card, in that Edmere Tully, who's still at Riverrun, still a prisoner of the Lannisters could rally and appear. Howland Reed and his daughter Mera (who saved Bran north of the wall) is still out there, not sure what kind of army they can muster, that train has likely already left the station with only 3-episodes left. Roll Eyes

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Well it was fought at night, so.....

There is some chatter that those that streamed it experienced a darker image than those that watched via Cable or Sat. While it was dark and in some instances it was difficult to detect which character was in the scene, it wasn't that dark on my TV with the Sat Feed...

Perhaps it was the feed source, tv settings, eyes of the beholder, or maybe it was just because it was late night....

This explains what was going on technology wise
quote:
'Games of Thrones' Proves Why You Need an OLED TV

Last night's epic 90-minute Battle of Winterfell was shot entirely at night, and it was a muddy mess without an OLED TV.

If you (like me) watched Game of Thrones' Battle of Winterfell episode last night, you probably felt a mixture of emotions as The Night King's undead horde overtook the Stark's ancestral home. But you (also like me) have an old-ish LCD TV, you probably experienced another unexpected emotion: frustration over not seeing what's going on.

You weren't alone

Likely unintentionally, last night HBO created the perfect example explaining why OLED TVs are the future of home entertainment. The reason being that LCDs are horrible at night/dark scenes. Because the tech activates all pixels in a television (even if that color is black), the result is a hazy glow that muddies contrast and makes it hard to discern what's happening onscreen—especially when thousands of people and dragons are fighting one another.

OLED, on the other hand, produces its own light and can turn off those black pixels, creating a true black that not only saves energy, but is much more color accurate. It's even better if you can score a set with High Dynamic Range, increasing the contrast between light and dark and creating a better picture—something that would have been helpful on Winterfell's blood-soaked parapets.

If you're ready to embrace the future, you could consider these sets, which are great

If you're not quite ready to spend a couple thousand on a TV set (which, fair), there are a few things you can do to make your picture better on your old LCD set:

Check your streaming quality and make sure it's on its maxed setting. If you're not watching live TV, you could be streaming at less that 1080p, which is considered high definition (though 4K is ideal). Even streaming at high quality, the show is still a compressed version of the original.

Remember: Pixelation is the death knell of any sort of quality viewing experience.

- Cut down on external glare. Got the TV next to a lamp or a window? Then you're fighting against technology and the elements.
- Check your picture mode. Most TVs come with various types of picture modes. You'll likely want something that's more warm than cool.
- Max out that backlight. This will give you the brightest image possible (if not exactly the most beautiful image).
- If you can adjust black levels, do that, too, getting them as dark as possible.

Of course, last night's episode, "The Long Night," wanted a few scenes to be shrouded in darkness for scene setting and storytelling. But these tips will hopefully bring at least a little clarity to the chaos at Winterfell—and any other dark scenes that cross your path in the future.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
In addition to Valerian steel I guess the NK isn't immune to hubris.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5908 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
There's not much of an army of the North left to march south; Starks, Umbers, Glovers, Manderly, Knights of the Vail, all largely decimated. There could be a wild card, in that Edmere Tully, who's still at Riverrun, still a prisoner of the Lannisters could rally and appear. Howland Reed and his daughter Mera (who saved Bran north of the wall) is still out there, not sure what kind of army they can muster, that train has likely already left the station with only 3-episodes left. Roll Eyes

There might still be some way for the armies of Dorne and The Reach to play a part, although it's getting pretty late to formulate a deal and execute it.

The Dornish still harbor quite a bit of hatred for the Crown in general and the Lannisters in particular, and might be willing to assist, especially if it could mean greater independence or autonomy for Dorne.

The Reachmen might feel the same, after the Crown/Lannisters sacked Highgarden. Plus, if they disband the Black Watch now that the White Walker threat is extinct, and restore the rights of inheritance to surviving members of the Watch, that would make Samwell the rightful ruler of the Reach since he's the last surviving heir of House Tarley, who became Wardens of that region after House Tyrell was crushed.

It's almost like they're setting up Dany or Jon possibly taking the Iron Throne from Cersei, but being left with a small kingdom of just the area around Kings Landing and Dragonstone, with the other regions going back to being autonomous kingdoms like before the Targaryen conquest. Sansa certainly doesn't want to put The North back under control of The Crown...

So I could see Dany/Jon being on the throne in King's Landing but ruling just the Crownlands and Stormlands, with one of the Lannister brothers on the throne in Casterly Rock ruling the Westerlands, Sam possibly rulling The Reach from either Horn Hill or Highgarden, Yara ruling the Iron Islands, an independent Dorne under ???, and Sansa ending up on the throne in Winterfell of the large combined kingdom of The North, Riverlands, and possibly Vale.

That would surely stick in Dany's craw... All that and she finally wins the Iron Throne itself, but not the Seven Kingdoms, plus Sansa ends up with the larger and more powerful kingdom in the end.

And thus, the Great Wheel would continue to turn, with infighting amongst the various separate kingdoms in the generations to come, followed by someone finally powerful enough to seize overall control (again), followed by an eventual rebellion and splintering (again), and on and on with the Game of Thrones.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
I think the key to the final battle will be The Golden Company. Can they be turned against Cersei?

Will Cersei have Qyburn turn them all into "zombies" like he did to The Mountain.

Other questions:

We also don't know how the conversation ended between Tyrion and Cersei after their meeting?

Why was Tyrion hanging around Dany's door when Jon made his booty call?

Why are the writers trying to make Tyrion look dumb the past season or so? He used to be the smartest man on the show.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Angus the Kid:
I think the key to the final battle will be The Golden Company.

Undoubtedly. That's the bulk of Cersei's forces at this point.

I think the Iron Bank may play a part. Keep in mind that Cersei managed to pay off some or all of her debt to the Bank with the loot from Highgarden, but then turned around and immediately borrowed a bunch more to hire the Golden Company.

If the Bank decides to switch sides and/or cut off her funding, then the Golden Company has no reason to keep fighting for Cersei. And keep in mind that a representative from the Iron Bank specifically stated that they have hired the Golden Company themselves in the past in order to collect on debts.

So the Iron Bank may be the key to turning the Golden Company against Cersei.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Angus the Kid:
I think the key to the final battle will be The Golden Company. Can they be turned against Cersei?

Will Cersei have Qyburn turn them all into "zombies" like he did to The Mountain.
It took him weeks to do that to the Mountain, so I think that is a non-starter.

posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the episode and don’t feel the NK was defeated easily. If this were the only battle with the dead and the NK perhaps, but pretty much owned every encounter before Winterfell and was in the process of doing so again. I suppose you could argue the writers could have done a better job of just how the NK would go down, but Dany had a chance with dragon fire, Jon had a chance to go mano a walker and was blocked by raising the dead, Theon had no real chance. So why not the only trained assasin?

Posts: 251 | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by equivet:
I suppose you could argue the writers could have done a better job of just how the NK would go down, but Dany had a chance with dragon fire, Jon had a chance to go mano a walker and was blocked by raising the dead, Theon had no real chance. So why not the only trained assasin?
+1.

Looking forward, I think we will see some time elapse between this battle and when they set off for Kings Landing - Cersi likely isn't looking to invade the North, so they have time to lick their wounds and heal; I think both Dragons need some recoup time.

posted Hide Post
Enjoyed tremendously using my NIght Vision Gear. You would have thought that HBO would have considered that most of us do not have OLED, if that is indeed the problem. Hope the next battle is during the daytime.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
'Games of Thrones' Proves Why You Need an OLED TV

Nah. You needs tv with excellent contrast ratio/black levels. There are LED’s that do this, especially a Sony X940E. Oled suffers burn in.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Remember: Pixelation is the death knell of any sort of quality viewing experience.

- Cut down on external glare. Got the TV next to a lamp or a window? Then you're fighting against technology and the elements.
- Check your picture mode. Most TVs come with various types of picture modes. You'll likely want something that's more warm than cool.
- Max out that backlight. This will give you the brightest image possible (if not exactly the most beautiful image).
- If you can adjust black levels, do that, too, getting them as dark as possible.

Of course, last night's episode, "The Long Night," wanted a few scenes to be shrouded in darkness for scene setting and storytelling. But these tips will hopefully bring at least a little clarity to the chaos at Winterfell—and any other dark scenes that cross your path in the future.

I may mess with the setting on my Tee Vee and watch the episode again...

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Insignificant I’m sure, but I hope there’s some dragon eggs found/layed to keep the idea of dragons around. Who wouldn’t want a flock of dragons?

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post