SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
JJ stage #3 was SRM stage 2.
Start with pack and PR on back, carbine loaded at low ready. While wearing pack and PR, move to left, engage 4 IDPA and 2 clays. At PR position, ground pack and PR, engage large steel with carbine at 175, 200, 235, and 250 yards. PR position requires barrel being over two 8x8 wood timbers stacked to 16" high. PR shoots from same position with same requirements at targets from 250 to 530 yards. We all rested the fronts of our guns on the timbers, using our packs for rear support.

JJ stage #4 was SRM stage 3.
Start with pack and PR on back, carbine loaded at low ready. Start was on the valley rim, maybe 40 yards left of the PR position for SRM stage 3. With carbine engage pairs of small and medium steel at 70, 85, and 105 yards. Move to PR position, drop gear, engage large steel with carbine at 190, 260, 340, and 400 yards. Transition to PR with steel at 265, 400, 495, 560, and 630 yards. All of my squad timed out here, and I only got to 3 of the PR targets.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JJ stage #5 was SRM stage 4.
Start with pack and PR on back, carbine loaded at low ready. While wearing pack and PR, while moving forward in a Z pattern, with carbine engage a series of 6 paper and 4 clay targets. Ground gear at PR location, engage steel at 540, 555, 580, 590, and 605 yards.

JJ stage #6 was SRM stage 6.
Start with pack and PR on back, carbine loaded at low ready. While wearing pack and PR, move forward and engage 4 paper IDPA. At PR location, ground gear. PR location had a 8" round log, touching the ground on the left side, elevated with timbers on the right side to a height of 2 feet. Gun or body must be touching log while shooting. With carbine engage small & medium steel at 75 yards, then large steel at 120, 160, 170, and 190 yards. Due to weeds, not all steel could be seen from any one position on the leaning log. Most of us shot with carbine resting on highest part of log with pack for rear support. Transition to PR with targets at 320, 406, 436, 590, and 690 yards. We found the best PR was on high bipod, over left center of log, shooting through a bush at 406 yard steel.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JJ stage #7 was SRM stage 7. When our squad arrived, wind was 1 to 1.5 values from the left, and gusting.
Start with grounded pack and carbine. PR at low ready, must be able to touch the #7 sign. Shoot over pile of logs and sticks -- generous steel at 350, 370, 390, and 390 yards. Small steel at 300 yards. Transition to carbine, must be touching left end of log pile, engage the same 5 steel as PR. Move forward about 40 yards, engage all five steel again. Weed at forward position were high enough to require kneeling position at a minimum.

JJ stage #8 was SRM stage 8.
Start with grounded pack and carbine. PR at low ready, shoot steel at 330, 400, 475, 550, and 730 yards. Ground PR, pick up carbine. Move forward into ravine, load AR at bottom of ravine. Engage 6 IDPA paper and 3 clays while moving forward. Targets were no further than 15 yards, making this our gimme station. Stop at stake and shoot medium steel from standing position at 75 yards.

posted Hide Post
JJ stage 9 was in a field to the southwest of stage 8, shooting from some cabin ruins.
Start with pack and PR on back, carbine loaded in low ready. Engage 4 paper IDPA from starting position, distances of 20-40 yards, and still those $%#* reduced sized targets. Move forward to left edge of ruins, ground carbine, move PR to right edge of ruins, run back to carbine, engage targets with gun resting on one or two angled timbers with ends about 4 or 4.5 feet off the ground. Think tank traps from hell. Small and medium steel and 100, small and medium steel and 175, large steel at 220, large steel and 380. Ground AR, move to PR, build position -- most of us sat on a wood beam, rested our guns on a higher beam, and put a pack or large rear bag under our right arm. Steel at 445, 500, 565, 605, and 690. All of our squad timed out, and I only got to the third PR target.

posted Hide Post
JJ stage #10 use both SRM stages 9 and 10.
Ground pack and PR at SRM #9 position. Start in prone position on SRM #10 with carbine, engaging large steel at 350. Move left into small gully, engage 2 paper IDPA and 2 clays (20-35 yard distances). Engage small and medium steel at 50 yards. Move left up to small point, high angle down shots to 1 IDPA and 1 clay (15 yard distances). Move left a few feet, prone position, re-engage large steel at 350 yards, then ground carbine. Move to PR position -- steel at 410, 475, 490, 540, and 555 yards.

I'd like to do this match every month.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fritz,

posted Hide Post
fritz, just took a look at the scores. You did well, ahead some very good AR/LR shooters. Nice shooting!! Our FNG is all grows up.

Thanks for the write up.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the strong finish there fritz. Which AR/Scope/Ammo did you use for the carbine? I watched a video of one of the competitors wearing a blue Steiner sponsor jersey, shooting an AR with big LR scope. Could one have used an M4 type carbine with 3X ACOG and remained competitive in the match?

----------------------------------------

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

George Carlin

Posts: 908 | Location: Colorado, and as far away from Denver as I can get. | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used my Wilson 18" barrel AR, topped with NF F1 3.5-15x, using the SOCOM quick detach suppressor. I used the brake on the Creedmoor, as I (correctly) suspected that carrying the bolt action muzzle down while shooting would require a more compact rifle length. I have a number of scratches on my brake from dragging it on the ground while moving and shooting my carbine.

The lowest power setting of 3.5x wasn't the best for the really close (5-10 yards) paper IDPA 1/3-ish sized targets. I dropped 1/4 point a couple of times (C zone vs A zone score) because of blurry targets and mechanical offset. Most of the guys in my squad shot light weight ARs (16-18" barrerls) with 1-5x Vortex glass. They obviously had an advantage over me out to 30-40 yards -- especially with the clays hanging on wood posts -- but I'd say by 50 yards we were even.

The 1-5x Vortex guys shot the 100 yard T-post targets fine for the medium steel, but complained just as much as I did about the smaller steel at 100. They had no issues with the large flasher steel out to 200, as long as the black steel target faces weren't in front of dark vegetation or dark dirt. For targets 250-400 yards, the 1-5x guys were really having trouble identifying targets and seeing their misses. Most of these longer targets were hard to identify in front of their dark backgrounds. I believe I shot all of these targets around 8-10x from so-so positions and at 15x from prone.

IMO a 3x fixed ACOG would have done fine for many of the closer targets, however it would have meant a number of points would be attained only with wing and a prayer shots. I think a 2-10x (or thereabouts) optic may have been optimal.

One guy on our squad shot a Colt with carry handle iron sights. He was OK out to about 75 yards -- beyond that either target size, or contrast between target and background took him out of the picture.

posted Hide Post
One guy in our squad does a bunch of 3-gun comps, shooting his FN FAL in the he-man division, evidently performing fairly well. One of the match director's friends convinced this FAL guy to enter the match with it -- borrowing a pretty nice FFP mil scope, with a dope card for distances on the scope's elevation hash marks. From what I could tell from both the dope card and live fire, the elevation dope was pretty close.

I quickly found out how outclassed an FAL is by bolt action rifles in courses of fire that demand 1 MOA or better accuracy. With the FAL, the shooter generally only scored 1 or 2 points (a second round hit, or a first round hit, respectively) on every 5-target course of fire. On more than a few stations, he didn't hit a single Precision Rifle target with his FAL. Dirt impacts beyond the steel targets would be high, low, left, right -- hardly any consistent pattern. I tried to help the shooter -- even to the point of going against match rules by coaching him on impact locations during the course of fire. I suspect this was a 3-4 MOA capable gun. In all honesty, an open-sight AK-47 with Hornady ammo probably would have scored more points.

The trite comment is "It's not the Indian, but the arrow". But in this case even the best Indian could not have the crooked arrow fly true. The trade requires a certain minimum level of tool quality.

posted Hide Post
A friend who also shoots Dashers just picked a box of the new 6MM 115 Dtacs. We shot together yesterday. The G1 of .620 tracked perfectly to 1050yds. He shot them through two different Dashers. Easily reached 2920fps+ or about 60fps slower then his 105 Hybrid loads. Held vertical very well, bug-holed at 100yds. His barrels are 8 twist, no problem stabilizing the 115 at 5000'/70 degree temp.

Running the numbers, the Dtacs at 2920 vs Hybrids at 2980 will go a couple hundred yards further before dropping below mach 1.2.

http://www.davidtubb.com/dtac115-bare

Cool to see another bullet possibly setting a new bar in performance....

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Good news on the new Dtacs offgrid. Will be trying some of those in 6 creedmoor soon. Happy to see that BC tracking.

That looks like it was a challenging match fritz. Congrats on the great finish.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
I traded into an AIAT and got to take it out today for the first time. It came with a 20" 308 barrel but first thing I changed that. Since this is a large firing pin version I chambered a 6 creedmoor AI contour Bartlein 8 twist barrel for it and got it, and my 22 trainer cerakoted yesterday. Naturally I got to the range today and didn't have a magazine for it or my chrono so I shot a total of 8 rounds of 105 hybrids through it. I single fed and got a rough zero with 3 rounds at 41.8 of h4350 then shot one group at 42 grains. The target shown is rounds 4-8 through the barrel. I stopped there and shot the 22 repeater some. It hammers with CenterX and Midas+. Will go back tomorrow with the rest of the test rounds and the chrono but it looks like it's going to be a shooter.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
All the pics you guys have put up lately have motivated me. Took the girls out today and got a shot of them together. These are my long range sticks, .284 Winchester and .300 Norma Mag.

Happiness is having to climb in your car to change your target.

Posts: 2469 | Location: Nowhere Fun | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Shot the rest of the test rounds today in the AIAT 6 creedmoor. Loads up to 42.6 h4350 all were tiny. Had slight heavy bolt lift at 42.6. I'll shoot it a while at 42.4 till I see what the barrel speeds up then test at distance. 42.4 was averaging 3130fps. So far very happy with it and getting used to that trigger.

I took the 22 flapper target and practiced some shooting with it. It's a nice reactive target and fun watching trace through the scope to it at 100 when prone. It's not too heavy and easy setup so I think it's a keeper. The flappers make some good noise too.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jelrod1:
I took the 22 flapper target ....

Who makes the flapper target?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Nice sticks jlemmy. Even nicer table! That thing looks really built solid! Wink

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund

Who makes the flapper target?

Sorry, link was on the previous page. Pasted below

quote:
Originally posted by jelrod1:

http://www.salutetargets.com/2...e-steel-targets.html

It's the one called The Challenge. Not sure why I can't direct link to its page. Hoping it will be an easy setup to take back and forth.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
I suspect this was a 3-4 MOA capable gun.

That's what mine will do with milspec ammunition.

Your post has motivated me to load up some match rounds just to see what the old girl will do with decent ammunition. I have SMK's in 168 and 175 Gr weights. I have no idea what the twist rate is on the barrel, so I feel an experiment coming on!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
Shot the last Sporting Rifle Match of the year this weekend in Raton. The weather forecast treatened us with 16-mph winds, which never happened. Temp was nice, and there was a slight sprinkle of rain as we were waiting around for the last of the squads to come rollong in.

Congrats to offgrid, who finished with a 55, and that put him in first place.

They attempted to make the course harder by making some of the targets smaller to keep someone from cleaning the course. Eventhough my performance was lack luster yesterday, I don't think they made it that much harder. Don't get me wrong, anytime you reduce the size of targets, it makes it more difficult, but honestly think someone could still clean the course on the perfect day.

For some reason my Dasher was shooting 0.1-mils left of center, and I verified that on paper after the the match. This attributed to my poor performance, but mostly it was changing wind and bad wind calls on my part.

Another note worth mentioning, starting in 2017, the speed limit will be reduced to 3100-fps, and in 2018, reduced to 3000-fps. Their reasoning is to help save steel, but I wonder if all the guys shooting 6mm's and constantly scoring high has anything to do with that?

So I'll be more than happy to hammer those targets with my 7 SAUM and 300WM.

----------------------------------------

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

George Carlin

Posts: 908 | Location: Colorado, and as far away from Denver as I can get. | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post