SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Panic at the Gunstore--The How, When, and Why of Gun Panics
Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Panic at the Gunstore--The How, When, and Why of Gun Panics Login/Join 
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Not that any has shipped yet but I picked up some odds and ends HD ammo that I had been putting off buying.

The one area I am actually hurting is 6.8spc for my hunting AR, my own fault really...since I have been out of state this last year it has not been a priority.

Our local cabelas is allowing 50 people at a time in and only 10 people at the gun counter at a time.

Plenty of normal "hunting" ammo in stock but no 6.8spc or anything resembling HD ammo.

One surprise was the amount of 6.5 Grendel and Creedmore. Looks like a Creedmore upper is in my near future.

They also had Zastava 48 sporterized mausers for $300, might pick up a couple for future projects.

Posts: 7543 | Location: WPA loving the weather..missing Texas | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was in my local Cabela's earlier this week, and the pistol ammo shelves were bare. I actually took a photo it was so funny to see. Literally the only pistol caliber ammo left were two boxes of 38 S&W and some 45 Colt cowboy loads.

Posts: 1678 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I do not have a years worth of loaded ammo in any of my go to calibers except 223, I DO have a 2 year supply of reloading components. I do not see this being prolonged after the virus burns out like the multi year .22 shortage of the Obama years. As I shoot more .22 than all other calibers combined ( NRL22 steel challenge bullseye pistol and general plinking) I am relieved for now it looks like .22 has not taken a major hit (yet?)
I do have enough .22 to keep going for a while and if nothing else there is alway premium ammo like eley and lapua that even during the Obama years was always stil available without much of any price change.
My visits to various gunshops in my area over the last couple weeks ( which the governor in Arizona has deemed essential business) shows what many are reporting- very little handgun ammo of any kind and zero defensive loads in the typical rifle and pistol defense calibers

Posts: 2596 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a small (one owner) LGS that I frequent, to just talk about life. He has been very low on guns and ammo for over 2 weeks. He said that most of his customers are 1st time gun buyers.
He said many are worried about looting and rioting and just want something at home to protect their families.
He resorted to buying ammo from folks who have more than plenty and are able to part with a case or 2 so he would have something to sell to customers who bought a gun for 1st time. The biggest sellers were 9mm. and 5.56/.223.I have been squirreling away since 2013. I have alot of different handgun calibers (over 15) but I also have plenty of ammo for all of them. I don't keep alot on hand of odd calibers like .38 SW but I have a box or 2. The calibers that I use alot I have a hard time counting...not enough toes and fingers.

Shame on any gun enthusiast of any kind if they get caught short now and owned guns during 2013.

West German Sig P220, P6, P226, BDA

Posts: 69 | Location: NE Ohio Willoughby | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shame on any gun enthusiast of any kind if they get caught short now and owned guns during 2013.

It’s called War Readiness Materiel (WRM) in the military for a reason, and is NOT to be touched except for that reason. Same concept for civilians on guns and ammo.

---------------------
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2017 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it may be shame on me if I pick up another caliber, particularly since CA doesn't allow online ammo purchasing anymore. As long as I stick with what I have though, I have plenty for this lifetime.

Posts: 5058 | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post