SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Swiss Precision and superb value for $800....Sphinx SDP
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 41
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swiss Precision and superb value for $800....Sphinx SDP Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I had issues with Freedom Munitions 124gr and Tula 115 grain steel cased in my sub. The Tula locked it up on every round I tried to feed it. It gobbled up Freedom Munitions 147 gr reman and Remington 147gr Golden Saber (not +P) as well as WWB 115gr and Fed 115gr ammo. Neither of the 147gr ammo will spin during the drop test in either the sub or the compact. I only tried to put Tula in the sub to see if it would ignite the hard primers (never got to find out) as I don't normally buy it.
Based on what Musprod said about his experiences and what Sphinx did to correct it, it seems the sub doesn't like short OAL rounds and/or certain brands (diameter?) - and it may be related to the slide release. I'd like to know what they changed on the slide release...
The only issues I've had with the compact model were a result of my changing springs. The compact never locked up, but it failed to go all the way into battery occasionally with certain ammo when I installed a 14 pound recoil spring - I put the stock spring back in and it runs great now no matter what I feed it.

Posts: 124 | Registered: February 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rhart:
I had issues with Freedom Munitions 124gr and Tula 115 grain steel cased in my sub. The Tula locked it up on every round I tried to feed it. It gobbled up Freedom Munitions 147 gr reman and Remington 147gr Golden Saber (not +P) as well as WWB 115gr and Fed 115gr ammo. Neither of the 147gr ammo will spin during the drop test in either the sub or the compact. I only tried to put Tula in the sub to see if it would ignite the hard primers (never got to find out) as I don't normally buy it.
Based on what Musprod said about his experiences and what Sphinx did to correct it, it seems the sub doesn't like short OAL rounds and/or certain brands (diameter?) - and it may be related to the slide release. I'd like to know what they changed on the slide release...
The only issues I've had with the compact model were a result of my changing springs. The compact never locked up, but it failed to go all the way into battery occasionally with certain ammo when I installed a 14 pound recoil spring - I put the stock spring back in and it runs great now no matter what I feed it.

Your experience seems to mirror mine. The guns seems picky depending on what ammo is being shot.

My Compact has been 100% with the factory hammer spring. I did get light strikes with a Wolff 16lb or 17lb spring. The new CGW spring works perfectly. 100% ignition.

The only round that my Compact did not like was some RMR Hard Match flat nose 124gr. With those the gun did not return to battery so I stopped shooting that. Everything else runs!

We will have to see what Sphinx says. I think it is the slide release as well. Something about the spec is too tight in my limited knowledge base opinion. I really hope they can take care of it quickly because I love the Sphinx line of guns and will still be getting a Standard once they hit the market.

Posts: 413 | Registered: July 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the Kriss website they only show a standard size with a polymer frame. Unless I missed it somehow, the only way to get a full size in all steel is to wait for the competition "production" model and who knows when they will be available.

Picture of MusProd
posted Hide Post
quote:
On the Kriss website they only show a standard size with a polymer frame. Unless I missed it somehow, the only way to get a full size in all steel is to wait for the competition "production" model and who knows when they will be available.

The Compact comes in both Duotone and Stainless models, both all steel frames.

MP

Posts: 1248 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: October 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am new to this forum and came here since I just purchased a Sphinx Sub Compact. I was looking for something between a G19 and a G26, along the lines of a P22
9. The only Sig I ever owned is a P220 in 1992. Yes, I unfortunately sold it while in California. I easily kicked my Gxxxx habit and went hog wild with HK's. But I could not get comfortable with and of their small compacts. After reading what few reviews on the Sphinx Compact and now the Sub I bought the Sub. Hopefully next Tuesday will be its first range day. Beacuse handguns can be addicting, I've already ordered 5 Sphinx Standard magazines now that I heard that the Standard may become available this month (June).
Chris

Posts: 16 | Registered: December 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, I just noticed that I've been lurking since 2007!!
Chris

posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by seaswol:
I am new to this forum and came here since I just purchased a Sphinx Sub Compact. I was looking for something between a G19 and a G26, along the lines of a P22
9. The only Sig I ever owned is a P220 in 1992. Yes, I unfortunately sold it while in California. I easily kicked my Gxxxx habit and went hog wild with HK's. But I could not get comfortable with and of their small compacts. After reading what few reviews on the Sphinx Compact and now the Sub I bought the Sub. Hopefully next Tuesday will be its first range day. Beacuse handguns can be addicting, I've already ordered 5 Sphinx Standard magazines now that I heard that the Standard may become available this month (June).ou

So you're why I can't find any standard mags... LOL Where did you get them if I may ask?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MusProd:
quote:

MP

I've seen them for sale in every configuration except stainless. Duotone is the only steel model I've seen for sale at Prepper's. Have you seen stainless for sale anywhere?

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MusProd:
quote:

MP

I've seen them for sale in every configuration except stainless. Duotone is the only steel model I've seen for sale at Prepper's. Have you seen stainless for sale anywhere?

I personally have never seen a stainless for sale.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Those are all duo tones not stainless. They have a blackened stainless slide not a stainless one.

http://www.sphinxarms.com/inde...less-steel-9mm-da-sa

I have seen a lot of duo tones no stainless.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
my bad. I was thinking of only material, not color as the duos are full stainless. I see what you mean now. They haven't released any of the ones you are referring to yet that I have seen. I don't even think the stainless/stainless version has been on the website that long. If they pop up they'll be on GB.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by seaswol:
9. The only Sig I ever owned is a P220 in 1992. Yes, I unfortunately sold it while in California. I easily kicked my Gxxxx habit and went hog wild with HK's. But I could not get comfortable with and of their small compacts. After reading what few reviews on the Sphinx Compact and now the Sub I bought the Sub. Hopefully next Tuesday will be its first range day. Beacuse handguns can be addicting, I've already ordered 5 Sphinx Standard magazines now that I heard that the Standard may become available this month (June).ou

So you're why I can't find any standard mags... LOL Where did you get them if I may ask?

R&R Arms Inc. After my order, there should be 15 left. I got 5 since using one of the included mags (always keep a virgin with the case and contents) equals 6 X 17 = 102 rounds for practice without reloading mags. Also enough for IDPA and other events. Hey, anybody know of any reasonable sources for Titegroup Powder?
Thanks,
Chris

posted Hide Post
Thanks seaswol. I bagged a few just now.

posted Hide Post
The order is being shipped by (fufilled) by GLENN ZANDERS SPORTING GOODS. I understand that this is a distributor that works very often with Donna.
Chris

posted Hide Post
quote:
GLENN ZANDERS SPORTING GOODS

BTW, those remaing 15 mags sure got scarfed up quickly. Twice now I purchased a new model pistol only to find out spare mags would not be available for 6 - 8 months.
What this really means is that more Glocks need to go since HKs and Sphinxs are twice the cost but are certainly well worth it.
Chris

Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I've been following the Sphinx threads as well. I've wanted a Sphinx since the 90's and now that Sphinx came out with the Subcompact without a rail I decided I had to have one. I had to sell my P938 to make it happen. I'm sure it'll take 3-7 days to arrive at the dealer. It's going to be a long wait. I already have a couple of spare mags to start with. Now begins the hunt for some kydex holsters.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
I've been following the Sphinx threads as well. I've wanted a Sphinx since the 90's and now that Sphinx came out with the Subcompact without a rail I decided I had to have one. I had to sell my P938 to make it happen. I'm sure it'll take 3-7 days to arrive at the dealer. It's going to be a long wait. I already have a couple of spare mags to start with. Now begins the hunt for some kydex holsters.

I ordered a Stealthgear Onyx for my subcompact and should have it pretty soon. They stated 3 weeks and I'm approaching that now. That's the best one I've found for the subcompact so far and I like the design, material, etc. I'm anxious to try it and compare it to my #1, the VMII. I'd rather have a Bladetech Klipt but Bladetech only makes those for the most popular and common models.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

posted Hide Post
I also have a StealthGear Onyx. It's a perfect fit. I think you will like it. Mine took a month to arrive.

Posts: 640 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: June 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well Sphinx has my Subcompact, which arrived on 6/16 and got a confirmation email today. Hopefully it will be a quick fix and a quick turnaround.

If people are interested there seems to be some new custom colors out there for the Compact with the alloy lower for pretty good prices.

Burnt Bronze Sphinx Compact on GB right now for $849. There are also a few in a finish they are calling "Wolf" which looks like a dull gray going for $899.

I personally like the Wolf better than the Burnt Bronze but I like the Black even better. Wolf looks a lot like Robars NP3. Sort of wish I would have gotten the alloy Black lower but it was almost $150 more. At the time I could not put my hands on a Alloy Black so I pulled the trigger on a Alpha which I love.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=489598709

http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=489779866