SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Swiss Precision and superb value for $800....Sphinx SDP
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 41
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swiss Precision and superb value for $800....Sphinx SDP Login/Join 
Gone to the Dogs
Picture of tomgun
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only thing I did not like was how shallow the slide is. I just did not feel I was getting a very good grip on the slide to rack it.

I felt the same way initially years ago with my CZ PCR. I got used to it pretty quick though.
Reading this thread I'm hooked, lookin around, scheming, basically I'm getting one of these.
Just when you think your arsenal is stabilized, something comes along that makes you re-think the whole thing! Big Grin

Posts: 1696 | Location: Lake Tapps, WA. | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
This thread spawned interest in a SDP but I'd promised myself I'm not buying any more guns. Yesterday I stopped to check out a new gun range and there in their display case was a beautiful little SDP subcompact. Long story short it ended up following me home. :-)
The pistol feels great in hand, the trigger action is pretty nice, and fit and finish is first class as you'd expect. The only slight negative is the acutely curved trigger which feels like it could be uncomfortable after prolonged shooting.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7102 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
I should have my subcompact next week. I can't wait! I just wish there were some holster options. It seems like it is going to be a while unfortunately. Maybe that is for the best, it will allow me to get intimately familiar with it before I start carrying it.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sure hope KRISS is giving Prefontaine and Tundra some kind of 'commission' on all this...
I think you guys have single-handedly increased Kriss's Sphinx sales in the last month tenfold... you guys are great salesmen!

A couple of SIGs and some others...

Posts: 979 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EJO:
I sure hope KRISS is giving Prefontaine and Tundra some kind of 'commission' on all this...
I think you guys have single-handedly increased Kriss's Sphinx sales in the last month tenfold... you guys are great salesmen!

They definitely got me interested but it was all the searches I did afterward that convinced me. It is difficult to find anything negative about the Sphinx line of handguns.

Posts: 137 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: February 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gloucestermen:
quote:

They definitely got me interested but it was all the searches I did afterward that convinced me. It is difficult to find anything negative about the Sphinx line of handguns.

It is funny that you mention that about negative reviews. I was browsing around today and found some posts from guys on another forum that didn't like the trigger! I still haven't even handled one yet, but I still think it is blasphemy. This gun is supposed to deliver the quality of an HK along with the feel and "soul" of an older Sig. Maybe I am wrong, but I trust my fellow Sigforum members. I will find out next week...

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tundrav84wd:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
I got to handle both yesterday and they sure a solid piece.
For the subcompact to work for me I would need a bit of a pinky extension as the bottom of the mag hits just at the top of my pinky but not quite enough to hold it in place when pressure was applied.
The Sig 239 is about the smallest gun I actually enjoy to shoot as show in the comparison pic above the 239 has the pinky extension that gives it just enough more to keep my pinky from sliding under the magazine with pressure.
The compact had a very nice feel to it in the hand, though for my uses I see no need for it once the standard size is released.
The trigger was very smooth and consistent, though I found the DA pull to be a bit heavier than I expected though again very very smooth.
The only thing I did not like was how shallow the slide is. I just did not feel I was getting a very good grip on the slide to rack it. Many times I was getting ahold of more of the frame than the slide and would not get a solid or consistent rack of the slide. I presume if I was racking the slide with a loaded mag I would have caused a couple jams.
I found that I had to have my index finger and thumb almost parallel with the slide to get a solid grip on it. Other pistols with a deeper slide my thumb and index finger are more perpendicular

Something I would have to adjust to. I am looking forward to the release of the standard to see if it gains any slide depth.
If it doesn't I am not sure I will be picking one up. Just does not feel right to me.
The build quality seems impeccable.

Just so you know, the Standard size has been released and is currently available. I've been looking at one on the net and confirmed availability by phone with the dealer that actually has several on hand ready to ship.

Good stuff. Last I was on their site it was still coming soon.
The more I read the more I am guessing I'll be getting used to the shallow slide.
That sand model is quite attractive.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25429 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is funny that you mention that about negative reviews. I was browsing around today and found some posts from guys on another forum that didn't like the trigger! I still haven't even handled one yet, but I still think it is blasphemy. This gun is supposed to deliver the quality of an HK along with the feel and "soul" of an older Sig. Maybe I am wrong, but I trust my fellow Sigforum members. I will find out next week...

There is always someone and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I will make my own judgement eventually. My new Compact is sitting in the Cabela's in Hoffman Estates Il until they do the paper work, I sign it, then I wait for another 72 hours before I can even open the box. Gotta love Crook County Il.

Posts: 137 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: February 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Don't like the trigger? Wow. If they are striker guys I can understand not liking da/sa (some striker guys love to bitch and moan about da/sa) but if they aren't da/sa noobs then they must be smoking some wicked crack cocaine. da is smooth, and the single action/reset feels like God made it. I'm three in with my full size $ ready to go.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12643 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
quote:

I appreciate that, but let me assure you, if I wasn't impressed with what I saw, I'd say so. I have no blind brand loyalty. I make no excuses for no manufacturer. Perform and earn your consumer dollar, or expect to hear about it.

The Sphinx handguns are excellent values. My one and only concern is what we need from KRISS to support the product. One thing they need to do is learn how to answer emails to support, or take the damn email option off the site. Staff it, or get rid of it. As of now, it's worthless. I've sent 4 myself over a 2 month period. To this day, none have been answered. You want to get under my skin? Offer email as a way of contact then don't answer inquiries. It's like saying "fuck you" to potential or current customers in my eyes. Same thing if I leave a voicemail. Contacting them by phone is the way to go if you want to actually talk to them, and they do answer calls. My understanding is that the Swiss are very much involved in the support chain, which we definitely need. Good things are continuing to happen and I'm really excited as to what the future holds for the brand.

Old School German Sigs,....Quality and Reliability you can consistently depend on, right out of the box.

**Remembering 9/11/2001 Celebrating 5/1/2011**

OPUS DEI CUM PECUNIA ALIENUM EFFICEMUS

Posts: 6417 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
tundra... Let me first say, all at the forum appreciate your input and analysis of the Sphinx.
I believe its impartial and simply driven by the fact that you, an experienced shooter, have found an exceptional pistola and want to share your findings and enthusiasm with the members!
You have brought this pistola to our attention and I am also considering a purchase in the future (tho I just purchased a P320 Compact and am VERY happy and impressed with this pistola).
Again, thanks for your input and I look forward to hearing reviews from the 'new' buyers of the SDP.

A couple of SIGs and some others...

Posts: 979 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About two years ago I interviewed for a job at the Kriss assembly sight here in Virginia Beach assembling a new pistol line that turned out to be the SDP. I didn't get the job, and when I learned later how awesome Sphinx pistols are, I was pretty disappointed about that.

Fortunately I'm doing something a smidge more lucrative now. Smidge enough to afford an SDP compact of my own as of Monday. It hasn't made it to the range yet, but I've rinsed off the factory grease and FrogLubed it in preparation for this weekend.

Fit and finish are superb. There are so many fine details that lend to ergonomic qualities I did not expect. Cuts on the slide taper toward the muzzle directing the eyes to the front sight, tiny (rounded!) serrations on the trigger hold on to my finger while I practice dry fire, and more I haven't even noticed I'm sure. Not to mention the usual features one might ask for out of a custom handgun such as a beavertail, undercut trigger guard, serrated slide, and the sweet, sweet single action trigger mode.

I've been looking at the KRounds In n Out holster for something I could use in training, competition, and carry on the street. Anybody suggest a practical alternative for the Sphinx SDP compact? Holster options are not bad but as it is a newish weapon design there is still less available than a P-series Sig, a Glock, or a 1911.

Psalm 144:1

Posts: 62 | Registered: April 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just returned home from Cabela's which is where my new Sphinx SDP Compact was shipped. I got to inspect it and now have to wait till Saturday before I can take possession. I purchased it sight unseen due to the fabulous reviews it has received here and everywhere else for that matter. Fit & finish are superb and in the hand it's so comfortable and balanced it is amazing. I have zero doubts that shooting it will be a pleasure. I hope to get time during the early part of next week to get to the range and have some fun. What a gun!!!!

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by artoffence:
I've been looking at the KRounds In n Out holster for something I could use in training, competition, and carry on the street. Anybody suggest a practical alternative for the Sphinx SDP compact? Holster options are not bad but as it is a newish weapon design there is still less available than a P-series Sig, a Glock, or a 1911.

Bladetech Nano is what I chose until my VMII is made. You might give it a look. They are extremely thin.

Posts: 12643 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip. I'll take a close look at them as I've heard Bladetech is a good holster brand.

Psalm 144:1

Posts: 62 | Registered: April 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MississippiGal:
Great News!

Tom and Dan -- Your Sphinx pistols have Shipped To Me --- and I should have HERE on Monday or Tuesday!

When I got the Shipping Notice / Invoice ---
I noticed these TWO Sphinx pistols had a little something FREE shipped with them. Eek

Not gonna blow the surprise -- but I did not know there was a FREE gift shipping with them -- when they were Ordered.

I will keep you posted!

This will be the first "SAND" I have Ordered. Big Grin

Have received Several E-mails regarding these Sphinx Pistols.

Seems reviews are really good!
(Please -- Don't Tell My Husband!) Roll Eyes

Thanks Guys! Wink
Donna
D B Flanagan's Gun Shop

WOW DONNA!!!!! I received my free gift in this mornings mail.. THANKS DONNA!!! I will not post up what it is yet as a couple other members may not have received there gift yet and I don't want to spoil the fun. WHAT A SURPRISE!!!

Picture of MusProd
posted Hide Post
My Sphinx Subcompact should be at my FFL on Saturday, so no comment from me yet about the pistol. However, I can speak to ordering from MississippiGal (Donna).

She is super fast, a delight on both email and phone, and kept me posted daily on status of my order. I ordered the pistol on a Friday afternoon, she order from her distributor the same day. They confirmed on Monday, shipped to her on Tuesday, she then shipped to my FFL, and I have a tracking number showing Saturday delivery.

I hope the Sphinx is as good as Donna. She's terrific to do business with.

MP

Posts: 1248 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: October 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Yep. That's why she is my first call, everytime. If it's something she can't locate, which is rare, she gets first dibs. Excellent lady.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MusProd:
My Sphinx Subcompact should be at my FFL on Saturday, so no comment from me yet about the pistol. However, I can speak to ordering from MississippiGal (Donna).

She is super fast, a delight on both email and phone, and kept me posted daily on status of my order. I ordered the pistol on a Friday afternoon, she order from her distributor the same day. They confirmed on Monday, shipped to her on Tuesday, she then shipped to my FFL, and I have a tracking number showing Saturday delivery.

I hope the Sphinx is as good as Donna. She's terrific to do business with.

MP

Donna went above & beyond with my transaction. She found out that the FFL it was being shipped to had mistakes on the order which she had them correct. I decided to have it overnight shipped which she went way our of her way to accommodate me on. Honestly I cannot imagine anything she cannot handle. She is polite, professional and as Prefontaine said can get or will find any item you need or want. I am still holding off on saying what the free gift was, honestly I expected a decal for my truck or a shirt at the most. What I received was a real surprise and she sent it insured!! What a gal! BTW I will get my Compact on Saturday as well, it created quite a stir at the FFL when I opened it for the inspection...

Back in Black
posted Hide Post
Finally got my subcompact today. What a great gun, so solid. Could stand to get the DA pull reduced a little, but otherwise, can't find a fault with the thing. Can't wait to shoot it.