SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    You will buy a Glock
Page 1 ... 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 ... 562
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You will buy a Glock Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pblanc:
Well, this inexplicable (to me) longing to acquire a Glock has not overtaken me yet, but I would like to inquire of those who have succumbed:

Might I expect to experience any sort of recognizable prodrome before I am overcome, and at that point what, if anything, can I due to ward off the disease?

Also, is this merely a form of temporary insanity, or having succumbed once can I expect this to be a chronic or recurring malady?

The fever hit me after firing one at the range; this sort of event could lead you to realize that life is less than fulfilled having only steel or alloy frame handguns. It can be recurring, as many of us have experienced first hand.

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...and at that point what, if anything, can I due to ward off the disease?

Why would you want to? At the very least, it means you have more gunz and that's a good thing! Right? Cool

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
I'm sure it's not a chronic disease. I just bought my 12th in 3 years. Can't last much longer. The G40 is a BEAST.

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, this inexplicable (to me) longing to acquire a Glock has not overtaken me yet, but I would like to inquire of those who have succumbed:

Might I expect to experience any sort of recognizable prodrome before I am overcome, and at that point what, if anything, can I due to ward off the disease?

Also, is this merely a form of temporary insanity, or having succumbed once can I expect this to be a chronic or recurring malady?

Whatever you do don't look and compare Glock magazine and part cost to other mfr's.
You'll be fooked then.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you will buy (4) Glocks, and want more.

Posts: 6727 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

There are several ways to look at it. Not trying sway you, but I'll toss them out for your consideration.

1) If you're a serious student of pistol craft, you should own ONE Glock. Given the widespread use with LEA's, civilians and military, you'll at least gain an understanding/education concerning the pros and cons of the platform. The initial purchse is relatively inexpensive, as are accessories. I'd suggest a Gen4 G19 (bought one in 2012). If it grows on you for serious SD purposes, it's one of the best balanced carry guns out there.

2) Age related issues such as arthritis in the hand and wrist. Glocks also come with four backstrap adapters, plus a GripForce adapter is available. After using ALL of the combinations, I settled on NO adapter. See below for more reasons.

I also bought my Gen4 G34 in 2011 for two reasons: 1) I'm an instructor and the predominant pistol in our courses are Glocks. Thought I should gain a basic understanding of the platform. 2) I have advancing arthritis and wanted to plan for the future. At some point I may not be able to effectively use my beloved classic P-series Sig DA/SA .40's and/or 1911's (thumb). Obviously, there are other strikers out there to choose from. A striker fired 9 mm is easily managed.

I also own P320C 9 mm and P320FS .40 and really like/shoot them as well ast the Glocks. Modularity aside, I feel comfortable carrying and shooting either. Subjectively, the only difference is that the P320 is more of a natural shooter for me. If I let my focus down, I can displace occasional shots laterally (not low) with the Glock. Only talking about two inches or so at 7-10 yards. Negligible in a SD situation.

One other advantage of buying a Glock is that you can then participate in group therapy sessions on the forum, with a modicum of experience regarding the disease. Razz

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice, Nipper. Truth be told, I have fondled a few G19s at various LGSs and recently borrowed a Gen3 G19 at a range. I can certainly respect the Glock for what its positive attributes: simplicity of design, reliability, etc and am envious when I look at the enormous variety of Glock accessories that are to be had at virtually any Walmart.

I can also appreciate the virtues of a polymer-frame, striker-fired pistol, but when it came down to it I chose the SIG P320. It is just so much more comfortable in my hand and points much more naturally. I also go it somewhat cheaper than I would have paid for a new Gen4 G19, although after buying a few extra magazines it is probably a wash.

I might have sprung for the Gen4 G19 as it is a little sleeker than the P320 compact but for the damned finger grooves. They just do not fit my fingers. I know they can be dremeled off but taking a dremel to a new 500+ dollar pistol just goes against the grain.

Another thing that worries me about buying a Glock is that I will acquire the dreaded "upgrader's disease" and find myself searching the web and LGSs for newer and better gimmicks to apply to my pistol.

I would like to see the new FBI Glock 17 if and when it makes it to the civilian market. If it is reasonably priced I will give it a look see.

Posts: 372 | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I might have sprung for the Gen4 G19 as it is a little sleeker than the P320 compact but for the damned finger grooves. They just do not fit my fingers. I know they can be dremeled off but taking a dremel to a new 500+ dollar pistol just goes against the grain.

This is why I looked long and hard for a Gen 2 G19 without finger grooves and I am loving the one I found.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
quote:

This is why I looked long and hard for a Gen 2 G19 without finger grooves and I am loving the one I found.

As to the G19, I agree Gen 2 is the best for us that despise finger grooves on the compact Glock.
Nothing to upgrade, yet maybe the sights.

And it matches my Gen2 G17.. Big Grin

If I could only own 1 Glock pistol;
It would be my Gen 2 G19.
Or my Gen 2 G17.
Or my Gen 2.5 G26.
Or my Gen 2 G21.
Or my Gen 3 G22 with a G31 barrel.......... Eek

Posts: 4360 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I could only own 1 Glock pistol...

Okay...sensing a thread drift (kinda).

G23G4 for me. Add my factory 357SIG barrel, Alpha Wolf 9mm conversion barrel and a whole heap of mags...very much GTG, happy camper model. I'll put up with the dreaded finger grooves for the way these Gen4s shoot in any of the three calibers.

Big Grin

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
I hate you all.

I just came back from the LGS with a Gen 4 Glock 17 and a Gen 4 19.

Must have been the move to Florida. Razz

Don't worry...we still love ya.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Just ordered a battlefield green G42 today to keep my black ones company Smile

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My LGS runs a Glocktober sale every year, with this years starting next Saturday. They mark down their glocks to about $20 over the blue label pricing. And sell the hell out of them. I already have a 19 and 21sf plus accessories gabby I can't easily obtain in this state Debating whether to try to expand the caliber support logistics or double down on what I she and get another 19 or 21. I'm leaning toward 19 as my wife shoots it decently the 21 she can't even get her mits around it even with the slim frame grip.

I have a 357 sig barrel for my sig 229 and i like that caliber. Maybe a full size 357 for home defense. I'm getting an unexpected 1300$ Bonus next Friday so after taxes that will pay for at least one new gun.

Posts: 4765 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd have to learn how to scuba dive before my first Glock.

https://youtu.be/6lG-snJZIV8

"220ST (The Man) ROCKS"

Posts: 1853 | Location: in the mitt down the river | Registered: August 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Seasonal special! Hopefully not a retread.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Meh. Last year's Holloween special at least had The Great Pumpkin engraved and colored in on the slide. What a disappointment for 2016...

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I found a deal on a like new G17 and couldn't warm up to it and shot it terribly. Will stick to Sigs and 1911s.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
Para, Larry Vickers has helped bring the RTF2 Glock 17 and 19 back to the retail market. Now they are out in black and I think I will get a 19. What are your thoughts on the LV RTF2's? I don't know if I will like the sights.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, I really love the RTF2 treatment but I've never handled one of the LV editions. If they did smooth out the roughness of the grip texture, then it's less appealing to me. It's a common complaint that the RFT2 shreds fabric and is therefore incompatible with concealed carry, but I carry my G19 RTF2 in a Wilderness Safe Packer.

All these doodads that come on the LV editions, well, maybe I have different preferences for doodads, or maybe I like my pistols stock- doodad-less, as it were. But, that stuff is easily changed by the shooter, so that's no big deal. And since these LV pistols seem to be the only RTF2s Glock will make right now, and since they now come in basic black, I'd buy one PDQ if I wanted another Glock.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post