SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    You will buy a Glock
Page 1 ... 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 ... 562
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You will buy a Glock Login/Join 
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Glocks with manual safeties still count as Glocks, right? Right.

So Pete, you will buy a Glock that has a manual safety (even though it's unnecessary).

Or you will buy a traditional Glock without a manual safety, and will just keep your booger hook off the bang switch, and keep your guns out of the reach of little kids. (Which you should be doing anyway, even on your guns with manual safeties. Wink) After all, your P229 doesn't have a manual safety, and you've managed not to shoot yourself with it so far. I hope. Razz

^ I concur...

The only handgun I currently own that has a manual safety is a Beretta Mini Cougar I bought for the wife.
As soon as she gets familiar with the Glock 42 I bought her, that Cougar goes up for sale...

As much as Pete wouldn't own a handgun without a manual safety, I wouldn't own one that has one.
Only exception would be a 1911, but I've bought and sold 5 of them...
There is no need for an external manipulated safety on a striker fired pistol.

I will not dictate the errors of others to determine what works for me..
Perhaps that Idaho mother in wally world should become MORE accustomed to her new holster purse before using in a real daily situation.
The only thing that reinforced my beliefs in that situation is what a bad idea purse carry is..

Posts: 4360 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I am not a big fan of Glocks. I have a Glock 22 and today I was looking for a new toy. I Looked at a gen 4 Glock 19 and it just felt right. With night sights the I picked up the pistol for $459. Another customer bought the last Glock 42 but he was kind enough to let me grope it as well. I ordered the 42 for $319 as well. Ok, Maybe I am getting to be a Glock fan.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Has anyone made a Glock Commander? I'm guessing it's a 19 slide on a 17 frame.

Also, has anyone tried the Grip Force Adapter on their Glocks? I want to be in Para's bath house and any cheap way to get over my issues (grip) would be appreciated.

I'm assuming none of you have played with the Timberwolf Glock frames, have you?

Posts: 4166 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
I am not a big fan of Glocks. I have a Glock 22 and today I was looking for a new toy. I Looked at a gen 4 Glock 19 and it just felt right. With night sights the I picked up the pistol for $459. Another customer bought the last Glock 42 but he was kind enough to let me grope it as well. I ordered the 42 for $319 as well. Ok, Maybe I am getting to be a Glock fan.

I wasn't a Glock fan for many years, and that was after carrying a G26 for 10 years.
I got caught up in the XD craze for a few years.
But I now own 9 Glocks and zero XD pistols..
How did that happen... Wink

quote:
Originally posted by DanH:

Also, has anyone tried the Grip Force Adapter on their Glocks? I want to be in Para's bath house and any cheap way to get over my issues (grip) would be appreciated.

I'm assuming none of you have played with the Timberwolf Glock frames, have you?

I tried the Grip Force adapter on a Gen 3 G19.
It just didn't work for me..
Somehow after selling that Gen 3 and getting a Gen 2 G19, the need for the adapter diminished.
I also found a little range time cured my need for the adapter.
Practice and range time will help adapt to any perceived grip angle issue.

Although many on the forum swear by the Grip Force adapters.
I'm just not a fan of pin on grip parts.
I want my grips solid, without gaps, and not held on with pins...YMMV

Posts: 4360 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:

The gen4's ship with beaver tails so they are the same thing. I like them. They changed the grip for me which previously I could not stand. I used them in the beginning until I got Crimson Trace laser grips which are another form of beaver tails. I like them even more.

The thing with the grip angle definitely goes away with time. If you just sit, while watching tv, and hold the gun (safety checked first) for awhile on a regular basis, all that goes away and you get used to it. I call this marrying my hand to the handgun. Definitely helps if you aren't swapping mfr's and platforms all the time.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RANGER20:
I had 3 guns on my permit but alas I sold off two to help pay for my daughters wedding... The keeper was the GLOCK 36 which is the only gun I can "Legally" carry...

I love my Glock 36... with the King Tuk Holster pictured with another favorite Bulgy Makarov in an Alessi CQCs.

+1 on your choices. The Makarovs and Glocks are I think, the two most overall reliable pistols made.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also, has anyone tried the Grip Force Adapter on their Glocks?

I'm a huge fan. I have them on all but one of my Glocks (my G26).

quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
The gen4's ship with beaver tails so they are the same thing.

I prefer the Grip Force adapters to the Glock factory beavertails. The Grip Force adapters don't add as much girth to the frame as the M or L factory beavertails, especially on the bottom of the grip since the GF product is half the height.

Even though I have large hands, for some reason I prefer the stock Gen 4 grip. But because I have large hands, I need a beavertail to prevent slide bite. So the closer I can stay to the unmodified Gen 4 grip, while still protecting the web of my hand, the better.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Still loving my Gen4 G21. The honeymoon phase is long gone and this thing just plain works well in every respect, particularly rapid fire.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:

I prefer the Grip Force adapters to the Glock factory beavertails. The Grip Force adapters don't add as much girth to the frame as the M or L factory beavertails, especially on the bottom of the grip since the GF product is half the height.

The point was that if you buy a new Glock, a Gen4, Glock's version of these are included at no additional charge in the box. There are beavertails and backstraps in the box.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:

A Glock 19 slide assembly will not work on a Glock 17 frame. Not only is the dustcover on the front of the G17 frame too long, but the locking block is different between the G17 and G19 as well.

The closest you can get to a "Glock Commander" would something like a Glock 19 with a G17 magazine and an X-Grip adapter to extend the grip to G17 length.

However, you can do the opposite, with a longer slide on a shorter frame, though it may require an aftermarket barrel.

You can't put a stock G17 slide assembly on a G19 frame, since the locking block is different. But you can use a G17 or G34 slide on a G19 with an aftermarket extended G19 barrel. In this photo, the G19L is a G19 frame with a G17 slide and an extended G19 barrel, and the G19XL is a G19 frame with a G34 slide and a really extended G19 barrel:

You can put a stock G19 slide assembly on a G26 frame. Since they share a locking block, there's no need to use an aftermarket barrel.

Another issue is that the dust cover on the smaller frames isn't long enough for the longer slides, so a bit of the recoil spring will be exposed on the underside of the slide. Here's an example on a G26 with a G19 slide assembly:

To cover that gap, you can get an adapter piece from Lone Wolf, which is shown in use in the above photo of the G19L and G19XL: http://www.lonewolfdist.com/De...px?PROD=1099&CAT=255

Or, rather than swapping slides/frames around and using aftermarket barrels and dust covers, you can take a larger Glock and cut the grip down to fit a smaller magazine. Like this G17 with the grip cut to the size of a G19:

Or, if you want to go really extreme, here's a G35 with the grip cut down to accept G27 magazines:

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
The point was that if you buy a new Glock, a Gen4, Glock's version of these are included at no additional charge in the box. There are beavertails and backstraps in the box.

Don't the Glock Beavertails run the entire length of the backstrap? One of the things I was liking about the Grip Force adapter was it stopped before the hump, changing the grip angle without sawing parts off the frame.

I am liking that pic of the X Grip extension. It does give me an idea...

Posts: 4166 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't the Glock Beavertails run the entire length of the backstrap?

Yep. They're just like the standard factory backstraps, with the addition of a beavertail at the top. And just like the regular backstraps, they add additional girth to the entire length of the grip. The Medium and Large beavertail backstraps correspond in thickness to the standard M and L backstraps.

Glock factory backstrap and beavertail backstrap:

The Grip Force beavertail, on the other hand, only adds a small amount of thickness to the top of the grip:

quote:
I am liking that pic of the X Grip extension.

They also make them for the subcompact Glocks, to use compact-sized or full-sized mags.

Here's a G19 mag in a G26. (I find this setup to be even more comfortable to grip/shoot than a G19.)

The full-sized mag adapters are larger and a bit more obnoxious.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Here's a G19 mag in a G26. (I find this setup to be even more comfortable to grip/shoot than a G19.)

For some odd reason, I always preferred shooting a G26 over a G19 (aside from a Gen 2 without the finger grips), with or without the pearce + extensions.

Do you guys know if the Gen 3 & Gen 4 19's have the same finger groove placement on the grip? I have a Gen 4 on hold at my LGS, it feels different (better) than my last Gen 3 19 I had.

Posts: 1662 | Location: NH | Registered: January 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by terra:
Do you guys know if the Gen 3 & Gen 4 19's have the same finger groove placement on the grip?

They do, unfortunately. The normal spacing of the finger grooves on the full-sized and subcompact Glocks fits my hands, but the cramped finger groove placement on the compact Glocks don't work for my big hands.

The only difference in the grip between a Gen 3 G19 and Gen 4 G19 is the texture, as well a slightly smaller grip circumference on the Gen 4 when no backstraps are installed. (It's probably this slightly different grip circumference that makes it feel better in your hands. I feel the same way regarding Gen 3 vs Gen 4 Glocks.)

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
No sign of your FDE G21 yet Rogue? Wanting to know if the polymer frame color is in the material or on it? My OD green 21 was molded of green poly so I suspect your G21 is the same.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
No sign of your FDE G21 yet Rogue? Wanting to know if the polymer frame color is in the material or on it? My OD green 21 was molded of green poly so I suspect your G21 is the same.

The seller finally shipped it today. Should be here early next week.

Yes, the frame is molded from FDE polymer, similar to your OD Glock. But the slide on these Full FDE Glocks has been Cerakoted to match the frame color. They claim it's a specially-mixed color of Cerakote; you can apparently get close with standard Cerakote coloring but not an exact match.

posted Hide Post
Looking online this morning, Glock will be coming out with Optics ready long slide guns, 34, 35, 40 (10mm) & 41 for Shot Show 2015. Still no sign of a single stack 9mm, sadly.

Of course, lot's can change from now and Shot Show.

Posts: 1662 | Location: NH | Registered: January 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you don't crash, you
ain't tryin' hard enough
posted Hide Post
Re: optics ready long slide glocks --- disapointing.

Glock used to be a trend setter. Now they follow others (backstraps, optics). If the glock did not have a cult like following among civilians,(and cheap leo programs) they would be a lot less sucessful. And this coming from self-proclaimed glock fanboy !

I still remember laughing at my phone when i first saw the video for g42 "we listened to our customers and delivered what they wanted". Jeez.

------------------------------------------------------------------------"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

Posts: 470 | Location: N. TX | Registered: April 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
A question to those who are interested:

Does the introduction of the P320 change the basic premise? Is there now no particular reason to buy a Glock? Can the P320 do whatever you'd get a Glock to do?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
A question to those who are interested:

Does the introduction of the P320 change the basic premise? Is there now no particular reason to buy a Glock? Can the P320 do whatever you'd get a Glock to do?

I haven't had a chance to try the P320. It may be the equal of, or superior to, a Glock. However, Glock continues to have an important advantage, at least for the time being: aftermarket support. There are more holsters, magazine holders, sights, parts, and accessories available for the Glock than the P320. Also, the P320 hasn't been around long enough to determine if it's as reliable as a Glock, both when subjected to hard use as well as over the long term.

Personally, I'm hoping that Glock takes note of this increased competition and incorporates some of the recent developments in striker-fired mechanisms into their next design for the "Gen 5" Glocks. For example, the trigger on the Walther PPQ, and reportedly the P320 as well, is superior to the Glock, which puts Glock at a disadvantage. They'll need to make some changes if they want to remain on top.