SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The year is 1983. Pick a pistol.
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The year is 1983. Pick a pistol. Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
What I think is interesting about this thread is the year gives us several pistols that we all know KNOW will be world class/stellar sidearms soon to be adopted by a great many entities.

The key though is how do you look at these if you are in 1983 with no hindsight.

I mean who knew the P226 or 92F/FS would become legendary???

Who knew mainstream tactical Tupperware was around the corner? Yeah we had the P9/VP70 but those were still oddities.

The more I think about this...the BHP is the go to. It’s proven at the time, high capacity, comfortable, concealable and is in use with several high profile units.

This is a great thread. I love these mental exercises.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Badkarma 1:
S&W 459, Federal 124gr Nyclad.
SIG P220 in .38 Super, Win. 125gr Silvertip
Dale

Federal 9mm Nyclad with the blue nylon-covered bullet! What a blast from the past. A great round for the time!

Posts: 1092 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
My birth year. Trying to understand how pistols of that era must have been viewed AT THE TIME vs what we know now, I think it has to be the BHP.

Real answer is the 1911 don't care what the OP rules are. Razz

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbourneidentity:
quote:
Dale

Federal 9mm Nyclad with the blue nylon-covered bullet! What a blast from the past. A great round for the time!

I used those in my Beretta 92FS back in the mid-90s. Good round, IIRC. I seem to recall a test that said they were the 9mm round with the least penentration through building materials, at least for non-frangible rounds. I don't know if they were available in 1983, though.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
The key though is how do you look at these if you are in 1983 with no hindsight.

Exactly. That's why I picked the P225, it'd been around a few years and was a proven design, particularly as it was based on the very reliable P220 design. This was equally true of the S&W 469, as it had as its pedigree the very reliable platform of the m38 and m59.

I didn't pick the Hi-Power because back then, not too many folks knew a great local gunsmith that could remove that horrible mag safety, which meant it was stuck with that terrible trigger pull. It was much harder in 1983 to just sent a gun off to another part of the country and get a trigger job done, unless you had first hand knowledge of someone else who'd had good fortune. Otherwise, you'd have to trust what the guys in Guns and Ammo or Gun World said, and blindly trusting the review of a gunwriter has always been a huge gamble.

And the 1911? I didn't pick it because in 1983, if you bought a 1911, the very first thing you largely still had to do was to go to a local gunsmith, give him your brand new 1911 and say "Make it work." while forking over more cash. The old slabside just was still not yet reliable enough out of the box to be, IMHO, considered a true life preserver.

Posts: 801 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:
quote:
Originally posted by jbourneidentity:
quote:
Dale

I used those in my Beretta 92FS back in the mid-90s. Good round, IIRC. I seem to recall a test that said they were the 9mm round with the least penentration through building materials, at least for non-frangible rounds. I don't know if they were available in 1983, though.

If it wasn’t then the Smith would be loaded with Federal 9BP 115gr JHP.
Oh, and since I few did mention a revolver, I’d pick the Ruger Security Six .357 Magnum, with either Remington or Federal 125gr JHP.

POW/MIA: You are Not Forgotten

Posts: 474 | Location: East St.Louis, Il. | Registered: June 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob RI:

645 did not come out till 1985/86.

The P226 was released in 1983 but I don’t recall if it was availible yet in the US.

1983 an no 1911, Im thinking Beretta 92SB or Browning BDA /P220.

Other options would be P225, HK P7, or CZ 75.

Other options would be the BHP or S&W 459/659 but only if my unit had its own highly skilled armorer support.

Was the 469/669 out yet in 1983 ?

Glock existed and had been adopted by the Austrians as the P80 but I don’t know if it was availible in the US yet.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexasRaider:
<SNIP>
And the 1911? I didn't pick it because in 1983, if you bought a 1911, the very first thing you largely still had to do was to go to a local gunsmith, give him your brand new 1911 and say "Make it work." while forking over more cash. The old slabside just was still not yet reliable enough out of the box to be, IMHO, considered a true life preserver.

This is exactly why I didn't buy a 1911 until Kimber introduced their line at 1995 Shot Show.
My first was a Clacksmas Stainless Custom, which I still have.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexasRaider:

By 1983 it had 72 years of experience. Sure, there were worn-out examples that were issued in the Military with little training and were pretty bad, but a new or properly-maintained 1911 was exceptionally reliable.

The issues (and I had my share with a Mark 4 Series 70) were with ammo other than Ball. Even the H&G 68, designed to work in an unmodified 1911, usually didn't, unless the throat was polished; and hollowpoints, especially those less than 230 grains, were a useless nightmare.

The first thing I did with my Mk 4 Series 70 was take it to the range with 200 rounds of Remington Ball. It ran through the whole supply without a single malfunction, just as it was supposed to.

The gunsmith work I had done was to get the pistol to work with the H&G 68, since I bought it for IPSC competition. It was a long process, since Colt (and S&W as well) didn't do their best work in the 1970's, but once it was finished it worked fine. I had no malfunctions whatsoever in five years of competition, probably 1,000 rounds per month of practice and matches.

And it still fed Ball.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HCM:
quote:
Originally posted by Bob RI:

645 did not come out till 1985/86.

The P226 was released in 1983 but I don’t recall if it was availible yet in the US.

1983 an no 1911, Im thinking Beretta 92SB or Browning BDA /P220.

Other options would be P225, HK P7, or CZ 75.

Other options would be the BHP or S&W 459/659 but only if my unit had its own highly skilled armorer support.

Was the 469/669 out yet in 1983 ?

Glock existed and had been adopted by the Austrians as the P80 but I don’t know if it was availible in the US yet.

While it is not possible for me to verify the accuracy of the 1983 edition of the Shooters Bible (#24) that I am currently looking at, they list the S&W 39, 59, 439/539 and 459/559 as available in either blued or nickel finish.
H&K offered the P9S and VP70Z (ugh).
Browning offered the Hi-Power.

There is no mention of Beretta, Sig or Glock, pistols.

RE the OP: Of those listed in the book I would probably pick a S&W 59 or 459.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lovin' the P7
Picture of Tim335
posted Hide Post
Even in 1983, I'm still loving the P7.

Posts: 3428 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: August 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim335:
Even in 1983, I'm still loving the P7.

I remember checking it out back then, because I liked my HK-91 so much. I think they weighed about the same. Eek

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Beretta 70s. Pew pew.

Posts: 3520 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Browning high power.

Posts: 76 | Location: United States | Registered: October 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Almost 10 pages in, and you see how many people don't actually read the OP. Ermaghad 1911. Big Grin

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
1911A1Razz

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Star PD. One of the first smaller-sized 1911s that was affordable and worked.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
*cough* *cough* *cough*....

Posts: 801 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
Star PD. One of the first smaller-sized 1911s that was affordable and worked.

A friend had one, and it was an excellent pistol. There were always rumors that the lightweight frame was going to split apart, but his never did, and to this day I wish I had bought one when they were available.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TexasRaider:
*cough* *cough* *cough*....

Of course. Kimber.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18