SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NYT cites Decades of Sexual Harassment Accusations Against Harvey Weinstein
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NYT cites Decades of Sexual Harassment Accusations Against Harvey Weinstein Login/Join 
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spokane228:
He supposedly would take fully staffed meetings. On cue, they would have another meeting to go to, leaving the victim. Then Harvey would pop out. 2pm on a Wednesday, after what seemed like an hour of good meetings, I'm sure it takes a moment to switch gears from business to "how do I get outta here?"

I am kinda picturing a herd of gazelles near a watering hole waiting for the weak/dumb/brave one to walk over and drink out of it before Mr. Crocodile jumps out and flashes his wiener. Ms Gazelle turns away just in time to see all of her buddies bounding away in terror.

The victim had no clue? Sure and the world is flat.

After it happened, did the "victim" become one of those leaving the room to allow HW to victimize another?

46and2:

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm still trying to figure out what kind of rehab convinces you that you don't really want to have sex with gorgeous young women. I'm also waiting for the "Honk if You've Had Sex with Harvey" bumper stickers.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
I'm still trying to figure out what kind of rehab convinces you that you don't really want to have sex with gorgeous young women. I'm also waiting for the "Honk if You've Had Sex with Harvey" bumper stickers.

It doesn't. It's a sham for rich people who get caught diddling the secretary/maid/underling who can't afford to get divorced. You spend a few weeks in the woods singing Kumbayah and they give you a certificate saying you are all good now and couldn't help what you did because you had a mental illness.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
These powerful executives only have the power to persuade people to do things within their realm of control, ie: take your dicking or you won't be in my movie and I'll get you black listed with everyone else. That's fine, except, we are seeing that women (AND MEN) are setting any shred of decency and morals that they may have aside and bending over and taking the dicking. The victim cannot be a victim, if they accept the others control in exchange for income. With the exception of forceful rape (which has been accused), there is a very narrow window of being a victim. These women could have told Harvey Weinstein to piss up a rope and walked, but they did whatever they were being paid to do.

Coercion does not have to be physical. There's a difference between "I will pay you to do this" and "if you don't do this, I will screw up your life/take away your livelihood/make it so you can't do what you love anymore."

I get that, but I really have a problem with someone taking money, a starring role, or whatever financial arrangement in exchange for their silence, further allowing this kind of activity to continue. I would never whore myself out in exchange for any amount of money, but then again, I have morals. Those morals would stop me from pursuing a career in showbiz if I was told I had to sleep my way into a role. There would be no stopping me from telling the world how morally bankrupt those in showbiz either....now, if people choose to put their heads in the sand and not heed the warning, then that's on them and I wouldn't be above telling them "I told you so".

How would you handle your boss taking you on a business trip and saying: maladat, I've got $250,000 and a contract for you to sign, but in order for you to get it, you'll be doing whatever I ask sexually and you will never speak of it to anyone? If you ever speak of what is going on, I'll be sure that you never work around here ever again and I can make your life a living hell, so you may as well accept.

Now, you can say fuck my morals and accept the offer which would make you a whore.
You could tell him/her to fuck off and offer a "I won't tell if you won't tell",

OR

You could kick him/her in the junk and tell every living soul what an asshole he/she is and keep your integrity. Job security is nothing if it means selling your soul!

Quick edit to add:

I do not think it is right that he did anything that he did. I am just pointing out the notion of being a "victim" in situations like these women are claiming. There is no justification for a man to do any of what is claimed, but I think we are handing out passes a little to easily for some of the women.

There's also a difference between saying "I'll pay you to do this and I'll screw you over if you talk about it afterwards" and saying "If you don't do this, I'll screw you over."

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
How would you handle your boss taking you on a business trip and saying: maladat, I've got $250,000 and a contract for you to sign, but in order for you to get it, you'll be doing whatever I ask sexually and you will never speak of it to anyone? If you ever speak of what is going on, I'll be sure that you never work around here ever again and I can make your life a living hell, so you may as well accept.

There's also a difference between saying "I'll pay you to do this and I'll screw you over if you talk about it afterwards" and saying "If you don't do this, I'll screw you over."

And there's a difference between telling the guy to fuck off and tanking your career (maybe even before it began) and selling out just to become another Hollywood harlot.

I guess to correct the scenario, your business trip will go more like this:
You and the boss are working late hours at the hotel you 2 are staying at (in his room of course) and suddenly he gets a little handsy, grabbing you by the crotch and trying to remove your pants. He says let me at it or else I'll tank your career.

Do you:
A) let him have his way with you (because you want to keep your job)? = morally bankrupt
B) let him have his way with you (because you are going to sue the ever living shit out of him and settle out of court)? = morally bankrupt
C) brush off the attack, run but don't report in hopes that he lets you keep your job (later realize you can extort a little money out of the guy, so you do by filing suit and settling out of court) = morally corrupted
D) kick him in the balls, run out of the room, call the cops and file an attempted rape charge and tell everyone what a piece of shit the guy is, regardless of your future job opportunities? maybe someone believes you, maybe they write it off as you trying to cause trouble or extort money, either way you can walk away knowing your moral compass still points true north and your integrity is in tact.

Short of him trying to remake Deliverance, you have the choice of A-D. There may be other choices that could be made but it's getting late and I think I have made my point well enough, but it comes down to this in my eyes. No woman should ever accept that sexual advances, assaults, and rapes are common practice in any profession. Any victim that covers this stuff up after the fact though is selling out and further emboldening the boss to prey on more victims.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I'm not arguing about what "the right thing to do" is in some absolute sense.

You just seem to be unwilling to admit any middle ground between "she's a dirty whore" and "he held her down and had sex with her while she was screaming and hitting him and then she immediately ran to the police."

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
It's pretty pervasive in that industry...Here's a tidbit from Jennifer Lawrence. I'm sure the producer thought he was being a nice guy

https://www.thewrap.com/jennif...eup-lose-weight/amp/

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Is it just me or all of these actresses that are screeching about be abused/harassed by directors/producers haven't really named names other harvey and a few actors?

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
Is it just me or all of these actresses that are screeching about be abused/harassed by directors/producers haven't really named names other harvey and a few actors?

They're not going to. What could they hope to gain by naming names? If they do it, it's just he said/she said unless she has evidence like a recording or witnesses.

- John Adams

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
All these women are courageous heroes for jumping on the bandwagon.

Such courage. Truly impressive. It takes guts to pile on after the guy is toast, real courage. Only women could be so brave.

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:

They're not going to. What could they hope to gain by naming names? If they do it, it's just he said/she said unless she has evidence like a recording or witnesses.

But if you have a stack of complaints/accusations filed against you, it damn sure follows you around and people may be able to protect themselves a little better. That's what my point has been all along. By not coming forward with names, they are allowing the abusers to continue their abuse of power.

These women would rather keep their mouths shut and keep their jobs at the expense of director x or producer y raping the next young/hot starlet that goes to Hollywood a few years from now. They are complicit in the actions of the sexual predators. This cycle will continue until the women around these men have had enough and flat out refuse to make a movie with such sleaze balls, but that'll never happen because the money is too good and the fame is too great! It's prostitution however you want to look at it, they are just well paid and highly marketed.

Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
All these women are courageous heroes for jumping on the bandwagon.

Such courage. Truly impressive. It takes guts to pile on after the guy is toast, real courage. Only women could be so brave.

#Me Too

Holy Crap. I'm a bit out of the loop sometimes but last night I found out that this is trending on social media. It would appear that nearly every woman I know, except the obviously sane ones, are victims of harassment now. Call me crass, or worse, but I swear some of the #Me Too folks are suffering from wishful thinking.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Very courageous, to press some Goddamned keys on your phone to tell the world your sad tale in 140 characters or less, and then have everyone walk on fucking eggshells around you, you poor traumatized hero, you.

Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
^^^ Women might be safer, but I also bet we'd be seeing a lot more young boys, and goats, in major Hollywood roles.

Ask the women in western Europe of they are safer!!!! Rape by muslim men is so widespread over there that the papers are not even telling about it anymore, and in some cases at GOVERNMENT urging!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
"Bravery" and "Hero"- these words have become meaningless in this society.

Any sort of effort at all is now considered to be "courageous" and makes one a "hero".

Go ahead, call everyone a hero, tell them that they are brave and courageous, because those words have now been rendered utterly devoid of any meaning at all.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
^^^ Women might be safer, but I also bet we'd be seeing a lot more young boys, and goats, in major Hollywood roles.

Ask the women in western Europe of they are safer!!!! Rape by muslim men is so widespread over there that the papers are not even telling about it anymore, and in some cases at GOVERNMENT urging!

Psst. It was a joke. Wink

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
"Bravery" and "Hero"- these words have become meaningless in this society.

Any sort of effort at all is now considered to be "courageous" and makes one a "hero".

Go ahead, call everyone a hero, tell them that they are brave and courageous, because those words have now been rendered utterly devoid of any meaning at all.

You don’t want to bear the ignominy of being the only one without the t-shirt, do you?

EVERYBODY gets a trophy in that league.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
But if you have a stack of complaints/accusations filed against you, it damn sure follows you around and people may be able to protect themselves a little better. That's what my point has been all along. By not coming forward with names, they are allowing the abusers to continue their abuse of power.

These women would rather keep their mouths shut and keep their jobs at the expense of director x or producer y raping the next young/hot starlet that goes to Hollywood a few years from now. They are complicit in the actions of the sexual predators. This cycle will continue until the women around these men have had enough and flat out refuse to make a movie with such sleaze balls, but that'll never happen because the money is too good and the fame is too great! It's prostitution however you want to look at it, they are just well paid and highly marketed.

He had a stack of lawsuits filed against him and it was widely known in the industry that he was a serial abuser. He had at least 8 lawsuits for sexual misconduct settled against him. He had it in his contract that he couldn't be fired as long as any lawsuits against him were settled. The media refused to cover it and several stories were spiked over the years. It hasn't come out yet who he pissed off at the NY Times for them to run the story that started all of this.

- John Adams

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
It hasn't come out yet who he pissed off at the NY Times for them to run the story that started all of this.

To that, I thought I heard that another news organization was finally going to go to print with the story which left the Times with no choice but to get it out before them. Or something like that.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
He had a stack of lawsuits filed against him and it was widely known in the industry that he was a serial abuser. He had at least 8 lawsuits for sexual misconduct settled against him. He had it in his contract that he couldn't be fired as long as any lawsuits against him were settled. The media refused to cover it and several stories were spiked over the years. It hasn't come out yet who he pissed off at the NY Times for them to run the story that started all of this.

Yet women still lined up in droves to work with the man. Pretty telling if you ask me. If you level an accusation against a sexual predator and settle out of court where nobody can see it, then tell me how anyone was supposed to know what was going on. Sure, we know the media was covering for the man and many like him, but (now) these women have access to social media which is an outlet that goes through no manager, no studio boss, and can be put out for all of the public to see.

These morons have no problems attacking President Trump and making up silly accusations about his leadership abilities, but when it comes to something they might actually have a little control over, NOTHING! See something, Say something; right? The herd mentality of the left is amazing. They have suddenly found a conscience and voice to cry about sexual abuse in Hollywood? Not likely.