SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
BTW, I am not a complete asshole, some parts are missing.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15576 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Japan confirms 99 more cases of new virus on cruise ship

https://www.wjhl.com/news/loca...irus-on-cruise-ship/

TOKYO (AP) — Japanese officials have confirmed 99 more people infected by the new virus aboard the quarantined cruise ship Diamond Princess, bringing the total to 454.

The ministry has been carrying out tests on passengers and crew on the ship, docked in Yokohama, a port city near Tokyo.

The 14-day quarantine for those on the ship was due to end Wednesday.

Outside China, the ship has had the largest number of cases of the COVID-19 illness caused by the virus that emerged in China late last year.

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I’ll never get on a fucking cruise ship. That deal is a got damn shit show.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Ya, the 14 day quarantine seems to keep resetting as long as more people catch the virus and once you catch it, you get to get off the ship.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
What I don't get is the repeated lie from just about everyone that we are getting a handle on this. The Chinese, some of the press, the WHO, etc.

The Chinese claim that the number of new cases per day dropping could only be accurate in heavily enforced quarantine zones because by now, almost everyone is either infected or holed up in isolation to ride it out. I predict that the day the Chinese proclaim the virus under complete control and people rush out to breathe the air, there will be a rash of new infections.

People in fear flee. It happens with every sort of calamity where they don't feel safe for whatever reason. If it gets ripping through NK (I list the Norks separately because of the shared fluid border with China and their extreme mania for secrecy), Africa, or less developed Asian countries, we may not even hear about it until people start exhibiting indicators of disease. By then it will be too late to do anything about it save riding it out. NIH still says this bug has an R0 of between 2.5 and 3.5. that's pretty damn high considering anything higher than R1 is considered able to spread in a population.

For those that don't understand how the R0 (or R nought if you prefer), here are are the basics. Yes, It's wiki, but it appears accurate. There is a general table with some other common maladies for comparison.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/..._reproduction_number

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15576 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Well, might as well get everyone involved... As if we weren't already.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stoic-one,

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I got back from Taiwan last week. I was there for 2.5 weeks. We were supposed to go to Keelung to visit my friend and his family but canceled our Taipei trip. THANK GOD. That infected cruise ship stopped in Keelung at the same day we planned on being there. No Corona for my family yet, just colds.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
I got back from Taiwan last week. I was there for 2.5 weeks. No Corona for my family yet, just colds.

Hmmm... That's what they all say.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
No Corona for my family yet, just colds.

I never was a fan of that shit beer anyway. Modelo or even Tecate is much more preferable.

And of course all of this raises the question. What will happen if this virus is still raging come Cinco de Mayo....?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Fox News is reporting a couple from Japan flew to Hawaii and vacationed there and tested positive for the virus upon returning to Japan. Flew on Delta and Hawaiian. Fox News Article.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Johnny 3eagles,

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
This is all I brought back from Taiwan hopefully. The incubation max of 24 days is ridiculous though. How do you contain that?

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
This is not Ebola. It is not Lassa. It is not MERS. It appears to be very transmissible, but not especially lethal. Certainly not as lethal as the regular, seasonal flu. For now. It is permissible to chill. For now.

Where the EFF are you getting your fake news from? Seriously!!?? What fake ass news organization is telling you that this new virus is less lethal than the "regular, seasonal flu??!!

I am flabbergasted that you would even post such nonsense. Conservative estimates show this virus at 300 times more deadly than than common seasonal flu. We just dont know. The Chinese are burning hundreds more dead bodies every day than they are reporting. They are lying through their teeth. And you come along and post that this is just a minor blip on the radar. Like seriously, where are you getting your info? What we KNOW is that this is killing people at an alarming rate, spreading far faster than any common flu we know of. An conservative number, conservative, is that its killing at least, bare minimum, 300 times more people than common flu. Like what the eff man??

If the scientist dont work out a working vaccine, and do it quick, then the world is looking at MILLIONS dead in the next 18-24 months, with likely MILLIONS dead in the USA alone. But your right, this shit is small potatoes and the regular flu is worse.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
quote:
This is not Ebola. It is not Lassa. It is not MERS. It appears to be very transmissible, but not especially lethal. Certainly not as lethal as the regular, seasonal flu. For now. It is permissible to chill. For now.

Where the EFF are you getting your fake news from? Seriously!!?? What fake ass news organization is telling you that this new virus is less lethal than the "regular, seasonal flu??!!

I am flabbergasted that you would even post such nonsense. Conservative estimates show this virus at 300 times more deadly than than common seasonal flu. We just dont know. The Chinese are burning hundreds more dead bodies every day than they are reporting. They are lying through their teeth. And you come along and post that this is just a minor blip on the radar. Like seriously, where are you getting your info? What we KNOW is that this is killing people at an alarming rate, spreading far faster than any common flu we know of. An conservative number, conservative, is that its killing at least, bare minimum, 300 times more people than common flu. Like what the eff man??

If the scientist dont work out a working vaccine, and do it quick, then the world is looking at MILLIONS dead in the next 18-24 months, with likely MILLIONS dead in the USA alone. But your right, this shit is small potatoes and the regular flu is worse.

Whoa, let's be fair here, the good Doc stated that these were CDC numbers.

Where are you getting your information? The Chinese are burning hundreds more dead bodies every day than they are reporting. They are lying through their teeth. Can this be proven, or just conjecture? I am not giving cover to the Chinese. I trust them just as much as your average leftist politician, but there must be some certifiable proof.

I think most of us would think these are fair questions.

Posts: 5199 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Maybe this is a cure for what ails SS. With it killing all of us old folks, that will mean more money in the pot for younger retirees and more working to pay into it. Its a plot, I tell you.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
Maybe this is a cure for what ails SS. With it killing all of us old folks, that will mean more money in the pot for younger retirees and more working to pay into it. Its a plot, I tell you.

Truth be told, the Black Death was actually good for Europe in the grand scheme of things.

It reduced overpopulation and resulting food shortages, increased wages and prompted labor-saving innovations due to lower labor supply and higher demand, greatly diminished the power of the Church and nobility that had been taking advantage of the serfs under their thumb, increased the standard of living for the survivors, broke feudalism and led to the rise of the middle class, and jump-started the Renaissance due to greater availability of free time and a renewed appreciation for pursuing pastimes that made you happy (like creating art and literature) while you still could.

So it seems the human race could use a plague from time to time. In the long run, not all the consequences are bad, provided it's not an extinction-level event.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I can’t tell if this is serious or sarcasm

quote:
quote:

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:Back to our regularly scheduled broadcast. This is not Ebola. It is not Lassa. It is not MERS. It appears to be very transmissible, but not especially lethal. Certainly not as lethal as the regular, seasonal flu. For now. It is permissible to chill. For now.

Seasonal flu has around a .1% mortality rate. This coronavirus is between 2-4%, and that's just what we're being told by the Chinese. It is most certainly more virulent than the seasonal flu, and exactly as transmissible as per NIH; an R0 of 2-4. Since things are just getting started globally, it remains to be seen if western medicine renders it less dangerous but even if it ends up being 10X less deadly than reported, it is still worse than the flu.

posted Hide Post
https://www.scmp.com/news/chin...hina-reports-100-new

Longer incubation periods?

Henan province in central China has reported two coronavirus cases that took much longer to confirm than the previously estimated incubation period of up to 14 days. Incubation is the time between exposure to the virus and beginning to show symptoms.

The government of Xinxian county, in the city of Xinyang, on Sunday reported that one of its new cases had been confirmed 34 days after the patient returned from a mid-January visit to Wuhan. He had been sent to hospital with suspected symptoms on January 28, but twice tested negative before testing positive on February 16. A further two people who attended family gatherings with the man in Xinxian were reported as infected, while three were suspected cases or under hospital quarantine.

The county government announced it would extend the home quarantine period from 14 to 21 days for residents who had been to Hubei or had contact with people who had been there.

It also reported a case that was confirmed 94 days after the patient’s contact with a relative from Hubei. The patient had taken care of his father-in-law, who arrived from Wuhan on November 13 and died days later. The son-in-law continued to stay in the father-in-law’s house until January 31. However, the government statement said the origin of the son-in-law’s infection had yet to be identified.

Zhuhai, in the southern Guangdong province, last week reported two cases with incubation periods longer than 14 days. Similar cases have also been reported in Anhui and Shandong provinces.

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You are correct - I have not personally counted the dead. Since you apparently have, I'll defer to your superior - hitherto unknown - actual real statistics and not mere speculation from someone with their hair on fire - not that it describes you, but I did think I saw smoke rising. The CDC (Center for Disease Control - I'll spell it out for you since you might not be aware of the initials) estimates something on the order of 300,000 to 650,000 deaths annually globally attributable to influenza. Lying bastards. There are less than 2,000 deaths from COVID-19 globally, according to the World Health Organization (again I spell it for you) as of an hour ago. But they are obviously lying bastards too, as you cleverly inferred, with no clue as to what is actually going on in Area 51. Along with their bastard Chinese accomplices, they're obviously hiding something. They're probably not even working on a vaccine, not that I'd trust them enough to get one, the lying bastards. I look forward to your keen epidemiological analysis, and I am in awe of your infectious disease-foo. You are my hero.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
And the virus can live on fomites for up to around 10 days. If surfaces aren't sterilized, it's just waiting for a host.