SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Virginia members, please remember to get up half an hour early tomorrow and vote.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Virginia members, please remember to get up half an hour early tomorrow and vote. Login/Join 
Picture of leavemebe
posted Hide Post
Our family has been in Virginia since the early 1700's. I am not going anywhere.

"It is easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled." Unknown observer of human behavior.

Posts: 671 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
For anyone who ties this to a Trump referendum. It's importing of leftists and demographic change in the area. My local highschool is 80% plus Hispanic. When I attended 25 years ago it was 80% white and 95% English as first language speakers.

Minority growth in Northern Virginia to bring major changes to the region

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Here is the list of proposals Northam put forward which were defeated by a republican house 4 months ago:

quote:
Northam is proposing universal background checks and a ban on assault weapons, high-capacity magazines, bump stocks and silencers. He also wants to reinstate Virginia’s one-handgun-a-month law, require lost and stolen firearms be reported to police within 24 hours and allow localities to enact firearm ordinances that are stricter than state law, such as regulating firearms in municipal buildings. He thinks the punishment for allowing a child access to loaded, unsecured firearms should be enhanced from a misdemeanor to a felony and the age of the children the law applies to should be raised from 14 to 18.

Northam is also interested in extreme risk protection orders, which allow a third party — in Virginia, officials said this would be a police officer or prosecutor — to petition a judge for a warrant to seize legally owned guns if someone is determined to be an immediate threat to themselves or others.

They have a majority in both houses now, so these are probably the starting point for new laws. The dems ran on passing gun control as a top priority.

We moved to Virginia last year and are already in the process of moving due to job, but we are moving to central VA on the border with NC. We had eliminated living in NC due to having to pay income tax both there and VA and not liking their homeschooling rules, but NC is definitely back on the table now. Will be looking long and hard at the numbers and NC laws and political outlook. I figured we maybe had 10 years left in VA before it turned totally blue - I was wrong. Welcome to the new New Jersey of the South.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BamaJeepster,

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leavemebe:
Our family has been in Virginia since the early 1700's. I am not going anywhere.

Good luck with that. I was already planning on leaving, this moves up time table.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Single party rule has worked so well in CA. Fuck!

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
... I figured we maybe had 10 years left in VA before it turned totally blue - I was wrong. Welcome to the new New Jersey of the South.

I miscalculated too.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Me too. I'm 75YO and was hoping to come to room temperature before the state was fucked. Frown

(I've got an inkling of how an average Roman citizen must have felt in the 5th Century AD.)

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been here almost 10 years. I'm looking to get out also.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toano, Va.  | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
West Virginia, Alabama, Mississippi won’t be going blue anytime soon.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, left the Commonwealth almost 10 years ago.

Only travel there when required for work.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I could see Virginia headed downhill in the mid 90’s when a friend lived in VA beach. Sad to see for sure.

With all the people still moving to Georgia, it’s scary to see we’re not that far behind. Frown

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
With all the people still moving to Georgia, it’s scary to see we’re not that far behind. Frown
Please stow the gloom and doom.

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
In 2015,

VA senate was 21 REP, 19 DEM

VA house was 66 REP, 34 DEM

The change has been fast

Posts: 19574 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
In 2015,

VA senate was 21 REP, 19 DEM

VA house was 66 REP, 34 DEM

The change has been fast

Fuck this place. I've dealt with the slow erosion, I don't even recognize this place anymore. We are now in free fall. I'm out of here. I'm going to start coming up with a real plan to leave. Goal will be two years. Time to tighten belt and get ducks in a row.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
My sympathies for the members in Virginia. As one who escaped from a commie state, I certainly understand your feelings and what lies ahead.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I retired in Northern VA at the end of 2012 and left for NC in 2015, where Federal pensions are exempt from state income tax (just one reason for leaving NoVA). So far, so good - tax-wise and gun-wise here in Gaston County. Hope I don't have to leave anytime soon.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
The right needs to devise a strategy to check this cancer. It will continue to metastasize if left unchecked.

Posts: 3147 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by divil:
The right needs to devise a strategy to check this cancer. It will continue to metastasize if left unchecked.

The Virginia GOP couldn’t lead ants to a fucking picnic. They’re so incompetent that if the leadership people tried to pick their noses they’d jam a finger up their asses.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
It's tough to beat demographics.

quote:
Originally posted by divil:

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post