SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NFL starts new season sitting for National Anthem. Update Pg 91 (And it continues with 2018 Pre-Season games)
Page 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 ... 109

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
NFL starts new season sitting for National Anthem. Update Pg 91 (And it continues with 2018 Pre-Season games) Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Someone is telling the 49ers to make this an issue. Fuck'em all!

How does this have anything to do with what the players are supposedly protesting about?

The NFL players have been manipulated by several leftist causes starting with BLM, but now including the gun control folks. The NFL, through just a handful of the players, has become a "social justice" pushing political organization. Many fans, including those here on SF want nothing to do with it as it becomes emblematic of the Trump hating, anti-America leftists.

Bob McNair was exactly right:
“We can’t have the inmates running the prison.”
But.... he and the rest of the owners have repeatedly backed down. The inmates ARE now running the prison.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
No, now you're just letting them play their game. They protested "police brutality" against Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown. Only they couldn't defend those two would-be thugs, so it became generically about police brutality. So now that the more vague expression of what they're protesting about hasn't made them any more popular, they want to turn it into a protest about all the SJW causes under the sun? Bullshit.

This has nothing to do with what they were protesting about - it's yet another tier of distraction to get people to ignore where this all started and what it's all about.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Report This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
-- Bob McNair, the Texans’ owner
Big Grin

The sad part is he felt compelled (pressured) to apologize. When the F*ck will someone stand up and say, if you do not like it, get the F out?

Yeah, I suspect it is financially motivated.

Oh well, another week w/o NFL and I am good to go.

Bob was right the first time.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Report This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Hehehe Wink

quote:
A sports reporter recently left his comfortable liberal bubble in New York City, traveled to the interior of the country, and was shocked when he discovered that NFL fans in fly over country really do hate the NFL’s constant anti-American national anthem protests.

Fox NFL writer Peter Schrager found out first hand that real Americans are pretty steamed about the anti-American NFL protests going on across the country. Schrager told his tale on WFAN’s Mike Francesca Show on Friday, Awful Announcing reported.

The New York-based reporter left the Big Apple for an assignment in Indianapolis, Indiana, and when he got into a cab, the driver asked him why he was in town.

Schrager proudly spoke up and perhaps fatally over simplified his job, by saying that he worked in the NFL. But that was a major mistake because upon hearing that, the driver pulled over and told Schrager to get out of his cab.

The driver proceeded to tell the reporter that he did not appreciate the anti-American protests going on each week during the playing of the national anthem, and he didn’t feel the need to do business with anyone representing pro football.

“You can get out of the car,” Schrager said the driver told him. “The NFL is dead to me. The NFL, the fact that these guys take knees, I will never watch the NFL again,” the cabbie added according to the Fox reporter.

Schrager went on to note that this was the first time he ever met anyone so mad at the NFL over the anthem protests. He said it was because he never meets anyone in New York that has an opinion contrary to the liberal agenda.

“It was the first time I had a real-life experience face-to-face with somebody who was that charged up about this issue,” Schager said. “And I said ‘Wow, that’s crazy.’ And the more you talk to fans who aren’t on the two coasts, the more you aren’t in blue-state territory, this is a real deal, and it is affecting the bottom line. And the owners are seeing this.”

Schrager’s experience and reaction is a clue as to why sports reporters are nearly universally liberal. They live only in left-wing enclaves on the coasts and don’t often venture out into fly over country.

http://www.breitbart.com/sport...%28Breitbart+News%29

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Report This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Schrager’s experience and reaction is a clue as to why sports reporters are nearly universally liberal. They live only in left-wing enclaves on the coasts and don’t often venture out into fly over country.

Roll Eyes
I DO venture out into left-wing enclaves on the coasts... but I live in fly over country. Some of these people live in a bubble and have no clue...

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Who takes a cab anymore?

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
The inmates have run this country for at least the last 8 years. Their perp in chief, is probably behind this stuff. Of course I can't prove the later. But it has his touch.

Once the advertisers see the viewing numbers drop and drop, they'll want money back. Then there is the merchandise side of the NFL. Wonder how those numbers will look post-holiday season.

People are tired of these political stunts. Sports are a temporary refuge from this shit.

People will find new temporary escapes - like spending time with the family - kids. Do what they did before all this sports stuff.

Goodell's contract extension also seems no longer a certainty.

For me it's ham radio contest season. Fuck the NFL and their bullshit.

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I was sitting at the bar today in Gordon Biersch VA location when a guy sat down near me. We got to talking and he’s retired Navy. There was a tv in front of us with NFL recaps playing. He asked if I watched or had a team. I said I was done with the NFL because I’m tired of spoiled criminal millionaires using the anthem to piss and moan about a non issue. He shook my hand and said, “Glad to hear it sir.” Best part of that subject: He’s black. We talked for a couple hours over burgers and a few beers. I thanked him for his service and paid for one of his beers and the look of appreciation I got was quite moving.

There are more of us than there are of the thugs. Piss on them and their media enablers.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:
Who takes a cab anymore?
I wouldn't hire Uber even if you held me at gunpoint

Posts: 107586 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Brass Pounder
Picture of roustabout
posted Hide Post
Last week I was readying a house for sale in Fort Worth, and noticed an open house in the next block. I went over to have a look, mainly to see what the asking price was. The realtor showed me around, and then he asked me if I was going to watch the Cowboys later in the afternoon. I told him I would not, as I had work to do and no time or desire to watch pro football. He replied that he was done with the NFL, as he found the political protests of the players to be very offensive.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
If the NFL thinks this will help, I believe they're going to be in for a shock. Big Grin

Colin Kaepernick’s lawyer Mark Geragos claimed Tuesday that his client will be on an NFL roster within the next 10 days.

“I think within the next 10 days somebody will sign him. I think somebody’s gonna sign him. I think the NFL has to come to their senses, and realize every day that goes by just proves the collusion case even more,” Geragos said during an appearance on The Adam Carolla Show.

We’ll have to wait to find out if Geragos knows something the rest of us don’t, but it’ll be the biggest news of the NFL season if a team makes the decision to sign the former San Francisco 49ers quarterback.

http://smokeroom.com/2017/10/3...ster-within-10-days/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Report This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
If the NFL thinks this will help, I believe they're going to be in for a shock. Big Grin

Colin Kaepernick’s lawyer Mark Geragos claimed Tuesday that his client will be on an NFL roster within the next 10 days.

“I think within the next 10 days somebody will sign him. I think somebody’s gonna sign him. I think the NFL has to come to their senses, and realize every day that goes by just proves the collusion case even more,” Geragos said during an appearance on The Adam Carolla Show.

We’ll have to wait to find out if Geragos knows something the rest of us don’t, but it’ll be the biggest news of the NFL season if a team makes the decision to sign the former San Francisco 49ers quarterback.

http://smokeroom.com/2017/10/3...ster-within-10-days/

Think you are right Olfuzzy.

Presuming that the NFL thinks this would be a positive, I'd be willing to bet that precisely the opposite would be the effect of putting that clown on a roster. More will run away!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Report This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
-- Bob McNair, the Texans’ owner
Big Grin

The sad part is he felt compelled (pressured) to apologize. When the F*ck will someone stand up and say, if you do not like it, get the F out?

Yeah, I suspect it is financially motivated.

Oh well, another week w/o NFL and I am good to go.

Bob was right the first time.

The fact that he apologized simply proves his initial point.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think Geragos is delusional. I think there's too damn' much money in pro football for any team (or the league) to let itself be sued into hiring anyone to play. After all, how many almost-wases and never-weres would be willing to sue over not getting or keeping a place on a roster? And how many lawyers are willing to bet that threatening lawsuits will let them rake in settlements in the hundreds of thousands of dollars? Uh-uh. The owners know better than to chum the sharks when they aren't shark fishing.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/...ers-coalition-monday

A proposed second meeting between NFL owners and the Players Coalition, tentatively scheduled for Monday, has been tabled.

The sides couldn't work out the details and are discussing trying again next week

The meeting had tentatively been scheduled to take place Monday in Washington, D.C. But Saturday, on the heels of Houston Texans owner Bob McNair's controversial "inmates running the prison" comment, a coalition of NFL players invited McNair, commissioner Roger Goodell and quarterback Colin Kaepernick to a meeting Monday in Philadelphia. They said they hoped to address players' "immediate concerns before additional progress can be made."

49ers safety Eric Reid offered some insight on Kaepernick's attending the second meeting.

"I talked to him [Kaepernick]. I think if they could make it a legitimate meeting, then he'll go. But right now, we don't know if anybody is going," he said Sunday.

Reid went on to say that Kaepernick has struggled to get on the same page as the NFL.

"I think, to keep it frank, the NFL wants the protests to end. It's bad for their business, but I think it's ridiculous that they don't want Colin to be there, being as he is the first one to start protesting

the NFL dilemma. a bit like "don't feed the bears"

Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Report This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Would'nt ya know - it takes pizza to bring this thing to a head!

Papa John's slams NFL leadership for lackluster pizza sales as shares sink more than 10% CNBC

"Papa John himself slammed NFL leadership on Wednesday, blaming the organization for lackluster sales at his pizza restaurants in the third quarter.

John Schnatter, the founder and CEO of Papa John's, said the league and its leadership "hurt" the company by not resolving the player protests that have been taking place during the National Anthem.

"The NFL has been a long and valued partner over the years but we are certainly disappointed that NFL and its leadership did not resolve the ongoing situation to the satisfaction of all parties," Schnatter said during an earnings call Wednesday. "This should have been nipped in the bud a year and a half ago."

Papa John's, which has been the official pizza of the NFL since 2010, said that the combination of declining NFL viewership and negative consumer sentiment associated with the league caused sales in the third quarter to slump.

Shares of the pizza chain fell nearly 10 percent on Wednesday.

"The NFL has hurt us and, more importantly, by not resolving the current debacle to the player and owner's satisfaction, NFL leadership has hurt's Papa John's," Schnatter said.

"Leadership starts at the top, and this is an example of poor leadership," he said.

In North America, same-store sales grew 1 percent, falling short of analyst expectations of a 1.4 percent rise, according to Street Account. And the company expects this trend to continue into the next quarter.

"The NFL situation has persisted in the pressure that it's applying to our sales that has bled into the start of the fourth quarter," Steve Ritchie, chief operating officer, said during the conference call.

Ritchie also blamed the competitive restaurant environment and temporary store closures caused by hurricanes for weak sales.

"Like Subway in recent years, Papa John's has invested in athletes to market their products," Darren Tristano, a foodservice trend expert, told CNBC via email. "When athletes are at the top of their game, these investments can pay off with sales growth but when you invest in retiring players like Peyton Manning and injured players like J.J. Watt to endorse your brand, the impact can be lessened. With team parity in the NFL, ratings have fallen and marketing has become less effective for brands associating with the league."

However, "The results wouldn't suggest cutting ties with the NFL," Tristano said."

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Report This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
^^^ Well, when you dance with the devil...

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Should Papa John’s anticipated years ago that something like this would happen and never done business with the NFL? Confused

I will give the company credit for its forthright identification of the problem and its call for a resolution. It seems that most advertisers are just adopting a head-in-the-sand approach and hoping it will all blow over rather than saying, “Fix it!” If enough other advertisers and fans say that, it will be done, but evidently not before.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I respect Papa Johns for their reaction. 2 yrs ago, the nfl was very popular with most of us here (or at least neutral). Now, at least PJ's is trying to get the nfl to pull their heads out of their butts.

I don't fault them for closely allying themselves with the nfl back then - it's not PJ's fault the nfl went Full Retard. . .

At least, now, PJ should save a ton of money in advertising costs since the ratings have tanked.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Report This Post