SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NFL starts new season sitting for National Anthem. Update Pg 91 (And it continues with 2018 Pre-Season games)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 109

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
NFL starts new season sitting for National Anthem. Update Pg 91 (And it continues with 2018 Pre-Season games) Login/Join 
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
IIRC, no. That's MLB.

quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:

Doesn't the NFL enjoy an anti-trust exemption?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Wait - what are they calling divisive? The disrespect the players are showing to our anthem and flag, or Trump's comments?

Trump's comments.

Wow.... I can't believe the owners are backing the protesters here.
Do they want to play to empty stadiums?

Actually, this demonstrates that the fans in the stands no longer matter.
This is a "made for TV" so-called "sport".
As long as they get the TV contracts, nothing else matters.

I'm really surprised the Packers organization came out against Trump seeing as they have a bit of a different ownership model than the rest of the teams. They have been my family's team since they started as we've been Wisconsinites since before the turn of the 20th century.

Through good years with Lombardi, and all the losing years under Starr's coaching, we've been died-in-the-wool fans. This stance by the Packers is disappointing in the extreme to me. I had been considering watching only their games as I thought they were The Peoples Team, but I guess I was wrong. Like many of you here, I won't be watching any NFL games or supporting the NFL in any way ever again.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
It's spreading to baseball...

First pro baseball player kneels during anthem

Oakland Athletics catcher Bruce Maxwell became the first Major League Baseball player to kneel during the national anthem.

After Donald Trump called NFL players who kneel during the anthem "Sons of bitches," this was inevitable. The reaction to Trump's call to fire or suspend NFL players who kneel from players and league officials was to be expected - harsh criticism that Trump was trying to prevent their right of free expression and that his call for owners to deal with kneeling players was racist.

It's clear now that the battle lines have been drawn for all pro sports. Expect more baseball players to follow Maxwell's example today.

http://www.americanthinker.com...s_during_anthem.html

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
If the networks had a brain**, they would not show these loser asswipes sitting, kneeling, rubbing one out, or whatever in the hell they think they're doing to "prove a point". I don't even see a point to prove. Anyway.....the networks could save face by just showing the singer/performer(s) and the flag. Or just have The National Anthem performed before said asswipes come on the field...problem solved. Phukk all this other male bovine excrement. Jeeeezus.....

Oh...and the NFL hasn't graced my television or household for probably 15+ years; maybe longer. I have no intent on watching narcissistic assholes stroke each other when they think they've made some great contribution to/in society by catching a ball. Same thing goes for the NBA, full of thugs and criminals, and I guess now it's evolving to MLB. ALL of which have not seen my TV in the same 15+years...screw 'em all. I don't know what I'll do if any phucktards in the NHL start doing this shit.

[/rant]

** But we all know the networks are anti-Trump anyway, so whatever it takes to stir their pot.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Report This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
NFL = No Fans Left

MLB = Mericans Leave Baseball

NBA = National Boneheads Association

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Report This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
I would be willing to bet that pro sports will drop the playing on the National Anthem. Some lame excuse will be given. I am sure the bean counters see it has a lost opportunity for revenue.
To see teams go to another country and kneel en masse for our anthem yet stand for another country is disrespectful. I gave up on the NFL in 2000 but I will be telling everyone I know to quit watching.

Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k5blazer:
To see teams go to another country and kneel en masse for our anthem yet stand for another country is disrespectful.

yes, because the monarchy so does stand for the little people - fucking idiots don't even know what it is they are protesting against.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
If the networks had a brain**, they would....

? They have a brain and they're using it to attack Trump at every opportunity and on every media possible.

The baseball kneeler- I never heard of him, read his name once and have already forgot what it was so can't use it here.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13400 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Report This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
It's pretty see to see right and wrong here, and who is right and who isn't.
It's not even arguable.

The NFL is on a fools' errand.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31425 | Registered: February 20, 2000Report This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's clear now that the battle lines have been drawn for all pro sports.

Not only that, the NFL had reportedly asked Jay Z to do the halftime show during this seasons Toilet Super Bowl. Jay Z has dedicated one of his "songs" (sic) to Colon Krapyerdick. So the NFL apparently agrees that the majority of their customers are a bunch of KKKard Karrying 'racists'.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Wow, even Kraft came out against him.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Report This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's spreading to baseball...

There's a shock.

I quit paying attention to MLB after the first players strike. Never much watched it, but listened to it on the radio since I had a little six transistor radio given to me by my grandmother when I was a young child. Fondly remember collecting baseball cards and listening to Ernie Harwell on on WJR with that little radio.

It is not the baseball I grew up with as a child. It has not been for quite a long time. Football was never much of a thing with me, but I'd at least pay it passing attention. That stopped about the same time my interest in MLB did. Never cared for basketball at all.

Was heavily immersed in the NHL thirty years ago. Cured myself of that addiction after the Red Wings repeatedly snatched defeat out of the jaws of victory. They eventually executed, but only long after Demers was gone, by which time I'd thoroughly lost interest.

All pro sports is to me, now, is an annoyance or a joke--depending.

I regard school sports as primarily a pox on the joke that is our "education" system and a "gateway drug" to the pro sports. So no use for that, either. (Wasn't so back when I was in high school. I had as much team/school spirit as anybody.)

quote:
Originally posted by k5blazer:
I would be willing to bet that pro sports will drop the playing on the National Anthem.

Wouldn't be surprised.

Then how will anybody be able to stand up and claim <this sport> is as American as apple pie?

(Has apple pie been deemed racist, yet?)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I'm done. Fuck them. Fuck them all.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
I quit paying attention to MLB after the first players strike.

Same here.

california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
MLB
can kiss my ass too.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Report This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
The Steelers are going to leave the field before the anthem.

Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:

That would be bad - I picture them and that area a blue collar team, generally a patriotic base.

As we have all commented on the political threads: Never Interfere With an Enemy While He’s in the Process of Destroying Himself

Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
I hope the President posts their biggest sponsors.

california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
take away the issue. someone up top took action. they can grab each other's balls while their in the locker room for all anyone will care.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Report This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:

The NFL is on a fools' errand.

+1000

I haven't witnessed this level of self-sabotage ever.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Report This Post