SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NFL starts new season sitting for National Anthem. Update Pg 91 (And it continues with 2018 Pre-Season games)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 109

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
NFL starts new season sitting for National Anthem. Update Pg 91 (And it continues with 2018 Pre-Season games) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
The owners of the Falcons, Packers, Jets, Giants, and Dolphins have put out statements calling it divisive. It's disgusting.

Wait - what are they calling divisive? The disrespect the players are showing to our anthem and flag, or Trump's comments?

Trump's comments.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/0...ers-colin-kaepernick

quote:
In the last 24 hours, President Donald Trump ignited a firestorm within the NFL community when he used explicit language to criticize players who protest during the national anthem. He also encouraged fans to leave stadiums if they see players kneeling during the song and argued in favor of owners firing players who protest.

Needless to say, people from Colin Kaepernick supporters to active players, like Martellus Bennett, to commissioner Roger Goodell responded to the president’s remarks, calling them unacceptable and divisive.

Goodell said, via USA TODAY Sports:

“Divisive comments like these demonstrate an unfortunate lack of respect for the NFL, our great game and all of our players, and a failure to understand the overwhelming force for good our clubs and players represent in our communities.”

Several NFL team owners and executives have also spoken out against Trump’s comments, so here is a running list.
Arthur M. Blank, Atlanta Falcons owner

Statement from Arthur Blank: pic.twitter.com/20DH3DHc4e

— Atlanta Falcons (@AtlantaFalcons) September 23, 2017

John Mara and Steve Tisch, New York Giants owners

Giants co-owners John Mara and Steve Tisch respond to President Trump's remarks last night, via team spokesman: pic.twitter.com/AHzL6KM7W3

— Jenny Vrentas (@JennyVrentas) September 23, 2017

Jed York, San Francisco 49ers CEO

pic.twitter.com/nrx16iBlkw

— Jed York (@JedYork) September 23, 2017

Mark Murphy, Green Bay Packers president and CEO, via the Packers’ website

“It’s unfortunate that the President decided to use his immense platform to make divisive and offensive statements about our players and the NFL. We strongly believe that players are leaders in our communities and positive influences. They have achieved their positions through tremendous work and dedication and should be celebrated for their success and positive impact. We believe it is important to support any of our players who choose to peacefully express themselves with the hope of change for good. As Americans, we are fortunate to be able to speak openly and freely.”

Stephen Ross, Miami Dolphins owner

Statement from Miami Dolphins Owner and Founder of Ross Initiative in Sports for Equality (RISE) Stephen Ross. pic.twitter.com/6W3mXwJO6M

— Miami Dolphins (@MiamiDolphins) September 23, 2017

Eric Winston, president of the National Football League Players Association

My statement: pic.twitter.com/xxX6LRI92f

— Eric Winston (@ericwinston) September 23, 2017

DeMaurice Smith, executive director of the National Football League Players Association

We will never back down. We no longer can afford to stick to sports. pic.twitter.com/Ec3Bc4qt9h

— DeMaurice Smith (@DeSmithNFLPA) September 23, 2017

Dean Spanos, Los Angeles Chargers owner-chairman of the board via the Chargers’ website

“I wholeheartedly agree with the commissioner’s statement. The NFL and its players, more than anything, have been a force for good. What our country needs right now is a message of unity, civility and mutual respect.”

Statement from Chargers Owner-Chairman of the Board Dean Spanos

READ: https://t.co/1h2XIxdbOP pic.twitter.com/RSNVKVbAWd

— Los Angeles Chargers (@Chargers) September 24, 2017

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Report This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
The owners of the Falcons, Packers, Jets, Giants, and Dolphins have put out statements calling it divisive. It's disgusting.

Wait - what are they calling divisive? The disrespect the players are showing to our anthem and flag, or Trump's comments?

Amazing, isn't it.
They are calling Trump divisive because he criticized their players for taking a knee during The National Anthem.

The players, NFL owners, and NFL commissioner all are calling Trump the devisive one.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Report This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:]...For clarity, the owners 'own' the commissioner, and can fire his worthless ass any time they choose. They've refused to do anything about this nonsense, so the commissioner not doing anything, even condoning this crap, is right in line with the owner's position on the topic....

Maybe they figure if they ignore/downplay it long enough it will go away. Maybe so. But it may also smolder and fester until it blows up in their faces.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Report This Post
Picture of drew3630
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:....If the NFL wanted to discourage this disrespect they can, but they don't...

And that's the whole point.

The NFL may be in a lose/lose situation. If they favor the Flag, they will offend some minorities, liberals, media looking for opportunities to stir up stink using megaphones. If they give in, they will offend some portion of their fan base. Which will have the greatest economic impact?

Personally I would think that giving their players freedom to express their opinions, left or right, would please most people.
This comment irritates the hell out of me when people bring it up. No one has suggested these morons can't hold a controversial, even adversarial position, assuming they possess the mental capacity to even form a thought. But its beyond absurd and asinine that the owners don't squash this ridiculous behavior when it occurs in 'their' uniforms, in 'their' house, on 'their' parole, and in direct disrespect of 'their' customer base. The drop in ratings and almost incalculable number of negative comments around the country are evidence this is a topic most NFL fans (as well as many others) will not support. The NFL owners have decided to let a group of illiterate thugs walk them toward the abyss, while they pray people either forget about this over time or the thugs (the mental midgets they are) will eventually tire of their antics. After all, they can only fling poo at eat other for so long, right?

And stow the Crapernick broke no rules nonsense. He broke the most important commandment/rule of all...Thou shall not screw with the owner's revenue, unless you're the absolute best of the best of NFL players (and even then there are limits).

The NFL was rarely aired in my home prior to all this BS, but these morons have provided me a reason to actively insure it will never be aired on any of my TV's from this point forward.

Amen, bigdeal. Glad now I don't have to type all of that. The right to freedom of expression...please, don't make me laugh at such nonsense. The players disrespecting the flag are doing it on the field, on the clock, and on the owner's dime. They are representing the team and the nfl as a whole. That the team or the nfl tolerates this is mind boggling to me. If the players had instead been doing this disgraceful nonsense on their own time, this would hardly be an issue.

I couldn't agree more. You're being paid millions to play a game not to give us your political opinion. If you want to do that, go sit on your own time.

Posts: 244 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Report This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:]...For clarity, the owners 'own' the commissioner, and can fire his worthless ass any time they choose. They've refused to do anything about this nonsense, so the commissioner not doing anything, even condoning this crap, is right in line with the owner's position on the topic....

Maybe they figure if they ignore/downplay it long enough it will go away. Maybe so. But it may also smolder and fester until it blows up in their faces.
It already has. Check again the pic of that virtually empty 49er's stadium. Also, check the Twitter comments in response to the owners comments. I posted earlier the owners aren't stupid men. I'm beginning to think I was mistaken if they can't see where this is headed.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Report This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Trump's comments.

Wow.... I can't believe the owners are backing the protesters here.
Do they want to play to empty stadiums?

Actually, this demonstrates that the fans in the stands no longer matter.
This is a "made for TV" so-called "sport".
As long as they get the TV contracts, nothing else matters.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Unfortunately, I think you know the answer to that...

quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:

Wow.... I can't believe the owners are backing the protesters here.
Do they want to play to empty stadiums?

Actually, this demonstrates that the fans in the stands no longer matter.
This is a "made for TV" so-called "sport".
As long as they get the TV contracts, nothing else matters.

It's pretty sicking. I think it's time for people to start boycotting their biggest sponsors in addition to walking out of the stadiums.

A lot of people won't stop watching the free games on TV, but they may stop spending money on merchandise. Either way they are going to lose a lot of money because of this.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Report This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

"ignore/downplay" ?
They are doing quite the opposite.

I particularly like this one.
DeMaurice Smith, executive director of the National Football League Players Association

We will never back down. We no longer can afford to stick to sports.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:

Can someone please translate what he is saying there? I understand the two sentences, but given they are sticking it to the NFL by losing tv viewers, part-empty stadiums, I do not understand what he is trying to say.

No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:....
It already has. ...

I was being a bit reserved in my comments. Wink

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:

Can someone please translate what he is saying there? I understand the two sentences, but given they are sticking it to the NFL by losing tv viewers, part-empty stadiums, I do not understand what he is trying to say.

What he's saying is.... damn the torpedoes... full speed ahead!

The politics matter more than the game.
The Players Association will stand with BLM and antifa, to make their "protest" regardless of the effect on the game or the cost to the league.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:...."ignore/downplay" ?

Seems to me the matter was downplayed in the beginning, but things festered, it did erupt, now a variety of responses from a variety of sources. I would think the NFL should have an exec meeting to first agree on, then announce, a unified policy that will not offend their customer base and that players will adhere to. But the longer the turmoil the more the damage.

Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Thank you for explaining that, chellim1.

Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Before we start cheering the Rams vs 49ers game as some sort of visual referendum on the public's unhappiness with some players kneeling, keep it in perspective.

It was a game between two shitty teams who had shit teams last year and this year is the same. 63k tickets were sold but only about half that showed up. Did they stay home because of shitty weekday traffic for a 5 PM kickoff? Protesting the NFL? Just didn't want to watch those teams in person?

I'll say protesting is the reason when only that many people show up for a Cowboys vs Packers game.

Posts: 4079 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Report This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:
The commissioner is a moron. The NFL will continue to decline as long as he's in charge. I just hope the owners realize it before it's too late.
For clarity, the owners 'own' the commissioner, and can fire his worthless ass any time they choose. They've refused to do anything about this nonsense, so the commissioner not doing anything, even condoning this crap, is right in line with the owner's position on the topic.

I am well aware of this. Like I said, nothing will change until the owners feel the heat and make changes. Right now they are letting him steer the ship directly into an iceberg.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Report This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:...."ignore/downplay" ?

Seems to me the matter was downplayed in the beginning, but things festered, it did erupt, now a variety of responses from a variety of sources. I would think the NFL should have an exec meeting to first agree on, then announce, a unified policy that will not offend their customer base and that players will adhere to. But the longer the turmoil the more the damage.

From their Twitter comments it appears owners and NFL executives are in agreement.
As chellim1 so eloquently stated "damn the torpedoes... full speed ahead!".
They do not appear to be all that concerned about offending their customer base.

This variety of responses you speak of, which owners or NFL executives have spoken out against the players for taking a knee?

Pres. Select, Joe Biden

Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Have Jones, Kraft, or the owner of the Colts chimed in?

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Report This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
The door of opportunity is wide open.
Just imagine the support a team would get if the owner took to the field tomorrow, Sunday.

Ladies and gentlemen, please rise with me and our entire team as we stand in greatful respect for our nation as the National Anthem is performed with pride by xxxxxx.

Followed by releasing a statement that you will never tolerate any of your players showing disrespect for the nation which as blessed you with such great opportunities.

Pres. Select, Joe Biden

No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
The door of opportunity is wide open.
Just imagine the support a team would get if the owner took to the field tomorrow, Sunday.

Ladies and gentlemen, please rise with me and our entire team as we stand in greatful respect for our nation as the National Anthem is performed with pride by xxxxxx.

Followed by releasing a statement that you will never tolerate any of your players showing disrespect for the nation which as blessed you with such great opportunities.

My guess is that team's revenues would go up. I know I would buy one of their hats, and I haven't seen an NFL game for close to 25 years.

Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
The attendance and tv ratings Sunday will be scrutinized. Crash and burn bitches!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Report This Post