SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NFL starts new season sitting for National Anthem. Update Pg 91 (And it continues with 2018 Pre-Season games)
Page 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... 109

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
NFL starts new season sitting for National Anthem. Update Pg 91 (And it continues with 2018 Pre-Season games) Login/Join 
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Jackson NAACP asks high school players to get on board

This is getting just ridiculous.

HS students are still impressionable and subject to PARENT guidance.

Very different from independent decision of a grown, very well paid "adult" in the NFL.

Keep your frickin hands of my kids. Ain't none of your friggin business.

Commie agitators always go for the youth in revolution. Their empty vessel minds and easily manipulated emotions are easy targets.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29699 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I pray to God it won't happen, but I don't see this bleeding over into the NHL. The thugery level in the NHL is waaaaaaaaaaay below that of the NBA or NFL. In fact, you almost NEVER hear of any impropriety of NHL players. Not to say it never happens......

I'm guessing the league has already communicated to their players on this. The NHL does not have the luxury of the enormous fan base the NFL does. The NFL can take this hit and will survive.
The NHL can't afford to lose ANY fans and survive. If anything if they do it right they stand to peel off some of those NFL fans.

Considering that only 5% of the NHL is black, as compared to 70% of the NFL and 74% of the NBA, the numbers for "racial solidarity" just aren't there.

Only 27% of NHL players are from the United States yet at every game, I have watched they all stand. It's a respect thing for your team, for your organization and for your fans.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
In a brief discussion with reporters at The White House this morning, Trump pulled no punches urging "the toughest possible travel ban" and then took a serious swing at The NFL once again warning:

"I think The NFL is in a box, the only thing that is doing well for The NFL is the pre-game...

They can’t have people disrespecting the national anthem. The NFL has to change or their business is going to go to hell."

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24116 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I pray to God it won't happen, but I don't see this bleeding over into the NHL. The thugery level in the NHL is waaaaaaaaaaay below that of the NBA or NFL. In fact, you almost NEVER hear of any impropriety of NHL players. Not to say it never happens......

I'm guessing the league has already communicated to their players on this. The NHL does not have the luxury of the enormous fan base the NFL does. The NFL can take this hit and will survive.
The NHL can't afford to lose ANY fans and survive. If anything if they do it right they stand to peel off some of those NFL fans.

Considering that only 5% of the NHL is black, as compared to 70% of the NFL and 74% of the NBA, the numbers for "racial solidarity" just aren't there.

Only 27% of NHL players are from the United States yet at every game, I have watched they all stand. It's a respect thing for your team, for your organization and for your fans.

Don't count your chickens yet. They will surely be called racists if they don't bend the knee.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Report This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bdylan:
What a coincidence that they would tie their protest to the anthem. These folks truly hate America. By trolling the anthem, they effectively associate everything the anthem stands for with racism...it's amazing that folks so quickly accept that it's not about duty, honor, country.

I'll tell you why they are trolling the anthem and our flag. It's their way of poking whitey (and our president) in the eye. That's it and that's all.

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
statement from Green Bay Packers players proposing a 'moment of unification'

Later on Tuesday night, Packers players released a statement explaining what they hope to accomplish. Here’s that statement in full:

“The NFL family is one of the most diverse communities in the world. Just look around! The eclectic group of players that you root for, the coaches you admire, the people you sit next to in the stands, those high-fiving on military bases, fans at the sports bar or during tailgate parties—we all come from different walks of life and have unique backgrounds and stories.

“The game of football brings people together. As NFL players, we are a living testimony that individuals from different backgrounds and with different life experiences can work together toward a common goal.

“This Thursday during the national anthem at Lambeau Field, Packers players, coaches and staff will join together with arms intertwined—connected like the threads on your favorite jersey. When we take this action, what you will see will be so much more than just a bunch of football players locking arms. The image you will see on September 28th will be one of unity. It will represent a coming together of players who want the same things that all of us do—freedom, equality, tolerance, understanding, and justice for those who have been unjustly treated, discriminated against or otherwise treated unfairly. You will see the sons of police officers, kids who grew up in military families, people who have themselves experienced injustice and discrimination firsthand, and an array of others all linking together in a display of unity.

“Those of us joining arms on Thursday will be different in so many ways, but one thing that binds us together is that we are all individuals who want to help make our society, our country and our world a better place. We believe that in diversity there can be UNI-versity. Intertwined, we represent the many people who helped build this country, and we are joining together to show that we are ready to continue to build.

“Let’s work together to build a society that is more fair and just.

“Join us this Thursday by locking arms with whoever you’re with, stranger or loved one, wherever you are—intertwined and included—in this moment of unification.”

-- The Packers Players

You would almost think the NFL top public relations official is a hard core liberal progressive. You would be right.

Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
A lot of men and women have died serving under and raising that flag. If the NFL thinks some weak excuse or apology is going to set their sinking ship back on track, they have miscalculated again. They thought they were more important than America herself. This is a culture war - everything the left is throwing around and at Trump. As they see they can't win.

I am proud of all of you for dumping them, you picked the right side!

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Report This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
'moment of unification'

Nah, I just want the NFL of old, where I could tune in and watch a good game and some hard hitting without ANY lecture.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
"moment of unification" is a fancy euphemism for butt secks.

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
"moment of unification" is a fancy euphemism for butt secks.

LOL!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Of course the networks showing the start of last weekend's games, uncharacteristically showing the Anthem at the start, will show audience shots of fans booing?

Nope, camera guys were told to avoid crowd shots. Talk about agenda.

http://nypost.com/2017/09/27/t...art-of-nfl-protests/

http://www.sportingnews.com/nf...k7eoiha1p7ktogwfftzs

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Report This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that's great Packers.

What you don't get is that I DON'T WANT politics in my sports. Much like movies used to be, it is an escape. Someplace I could go and root for a team and not care if the guy next to me was a raging liberal or had the same thoughts as me. It should not matter.

By making your standing with arms locked a political statement, you have missed the entire point. Just shut the hell up and play the game you are payed millions of dollars to play.

No one cares about your views on anything - all we care about (or used to, in my case) is if you can catch a damn football.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Report This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
In an amazing coincidence, Sen Manchin is up for reelection a year from now.

He'll go into full McCain mode from now to the election. He'll run to the right of Atilla the Hun and as soon as he gets elected he will return to Schumer's back pocket.

He's already started.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Report This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
statement from Green Bay Packers players proposing a 'moment of unification'

-snip-

.....“This Thursday during the national anthem at Lambeau Field, Packers players, coaches and staff will join together with arms intertwined—connected like the threads on your favorite jersey....-- The Packers Players

No shit? Is that how you apologize for insulting our flag?
Go fuck yourself.

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Report This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post

Original link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEcYDa7r4-I

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
I think this is more personal to many of those kneeling than BLM and Michael Brown.
They say it is about Police oppression of the blackman.

With the statistics on arrests for NFL players, I am certain that many of these thugs feel that they specifically have been oppressed by the police.

I have been asking every blm idiot i can find on facebook to tell me what the answer to their problem is and they cant even answer what they want to come from this “movement”. I think the blm idiots havent yet realized that they have given any power they had away. In the 1950’s the blacks comprised nearly 35% of the U.S. population and now they are barely 10% of the population. The sad fact is black lives don’t matter. Atleast not as much as they used too anyway.

They latched on the democrats after the 1965 civil rights act and have sold their poitical power to a party that is importing millions of hispanics and asians pushing the black minority group to new lows and they are just now realizing how irrelevant they are to the voting public. They give their votes away to democrats and get nothing in return but more promises and government dependency.

Their political candidates are irrelevant and the only people who have any platform left in the black comunity are the athletes. like all of the groups associated with the democrat party you can’t exist there without being a victim of of something. So Police brutality it is. Yep, they hate the police and when police pull back, as they were requested to do, crime explodes in thier communities and its the police officers fault...

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Report This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
JP Morgan bets against the NFL and media outlets in the anthem protests: LINK

quote:
[b]JPMorgan Suggests Bet Against CBS Amid NFL Anthem Controversy[b]
By Gerry Smith
September 27, 2017, 10:04 AM MDT

[Go to URL to view video] Strategist recommends buying options ahead of weekend games
Sales of player jerseys seen as proxy for fan sentiment

[Go to URL to view video] Trump Says He's 'Ashamed' by NFL Flag Protests
Bibb: NFL to Bring Advertisers, Fans Despite Trump

Can President Donald Trump’s attacks on the NFL tank media stocks?

One Wall Street strategist says count on it.

JPMorgan Chase & Co.’s Shawn Quigg is encouraging investors to bet against CBS Corp. stock ahead of this weekend’s NFL broadcasts. The bank recommends buying an option that gives you the right to sell the shares at $57.50 on the likelihood that the stock will fall below that price after the company discloses ratings for the games. CBS closed at $58 on Tuesday.

Trump began encouraging fans last week to boycott NFL games, arguing that players were unpatriotic and should be fired for kneeling during the national anthem. The practice of going down on one knee during the anthem was started by former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick as a protest against police brutality and mistreatment of black Americans.

Fans didn’t follow the president’s pleas last weekend, when overall ratings were higher than a year earlier.

So far, media investors don’t appear worried. Shares of CBS, which said ratings for last Sunday’s games were up 4 percent from a year earlier, have changed little this week. JPMorgan analyst Alexia Quadrani has an “overweight,” or buy rating, on CBS, with a target price of $75.

Jersey Sales

Quigg also cited NFL jersey sales to see whether fans are souring on the sport.

“NFL-related revenue is not trivial to CBS, and any decline in NFL viewership related to the National Anthem debate may negatively affect future results,” he said in a note to investors Wednesday. “We view this weekend’s viewership results as a cleaner proxy in determining whether the Anthem debate may be a larger issue for the NFL, and CBS, or not.”

Quigg noted that the jersey of Alejandro Villanueva -- the only Pittsburgh Steeler to stand on the field during the national anthem during last weekend’s game -- was the best-selling jersey in the hours following the player boycott.

“If one uses player jersey sales as a proxy, fans appear to favor an on-field standing presence during the Anthem,” he said in the note.

Overnight ratings for all Sunday and Monday NFL games were up 3 percent as a whole, Michael Mulvihill, executive vice president of research at Fox Sports, tweeted Tuesday.

But NFL ad revenue makes up 10 percent of CBS’s total revenue, Quigg said. And ratings for the games declined last season and in the first two weeks of this season.

While some might view the controversy as a short-term threat to ratings, another week of lackluster viewership this weekend could “mobilize investors to take the potential impact more seriously,” the bank said.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Report This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
Football Thug said:
quote:
Let’s work together to build a society that is more fair and just.

Or you could just play football fuckwit.

Posts: 6393 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Report This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
The Packers/NFL are now trying to turn this in to something it is not. Now it's about unification?
And they want the fans to join in some giant pregame Kumbaya. Everyone intertwined like the threads of your favorite jersey! Shut up fools. Where was this the past 8 years?

This is about giving the fans a way out. Give the fence sitters an excuse to keep watching. Oohh I get it now it's not about disrespecting the flag or anthem it's about unification. Go Pack!!

What a fool believes....

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Report This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wishfull thinker:
Football Thug said:
quote:
Let’s work together to build a society that is more fair and just.

Or you could just play football fuckwit.

Exactly fucking this. Shut up, throw the ball, catch the ball. DO WHAT WE PAY YOU TO Do.

Otherwise, shut the fuck up.

Plato