SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    P228 *KARMA* for military folks (past and present) >>>WINNER = GrumpyBiker<<<
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P228 *KARMA* for military folks (past and present) >>>WINNER = GrumpyBiker<<< Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My father and his 5 brothers served in WWII at the same time. One did not return and is still missing in action in the Pacific.

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I served for four years in the USN. In all that time I only stepped aboard a ship to attend a retirement party. I've always wondered if there were any more sailors with less time at sea.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3533 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for another generous karma, Q!

US Army, 1971-1974.

Got no photos. Not even certain I owned a camera at the time. Trying to think of a story I haven't already told. Lessee... Maybe the protest story?

I was stationed at Ft. Monmouth, NJ. "Home of the United States Army Signal Corps" at the time. Nearby was Monmouth College and Vietnam War protests were all the rage. A protest on a Saturday was scheduled. This of course necessitated turning-out hundreds of ground pounders to protect the base.

Protest day came. It was cold and raining its ever-lovin' ass off. We were issued ponchos as we collected our unloaded M16s. Out we marched to stand in well-ordered ranks in the pouring rain on a Saturday. They even had a helo flyin' around in that mess, if memory serves.

Not a one of us on the ground ever saw a single protester.

Later we heard there'd been about a half-dozen of them marching around across the road from the main gate, chantin' slogans and carryin' signs, for about a half hour or so. Apparently there'd been more "news" people out there than protesters.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Please throw my name in for my Pops. It would be quite nice to give to him as a thanks for his service.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
[IMG:left] [/IMG]

This is my grandfather. He was a brevet Major during WWII. He was offered a transfer to the regular army with the promotion made permanent at the end of the war. He declined and was discharged on Christmas 1945. He missed the army and joined the UTNG as a CWO prior to the start of the Korean War where he deployed with the 204 FAB. I inherited his uniforms, dress saber, etc. at his passing. His first assignment was to a coastal defense artillery battalion in California in the late 20s.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Very generous and thank you for the chance.

My grandfather was in the Army as a PFC in the infantry in WWII. I remember he still had shrapnel under his eye and in his ankle. He never spoke of his time except for a couple of short late night talks toward the end of his life. After his passing, we found his medals and of them he earned three bronze stars and three Purple Hearts. He went on the be a teacher and principal in the state of Kentucky until he retired. He then moved the family to Indiana where he did the same thing.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BennerP220,

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for another most generous karma! 54th Group Artillery in VN, 68-69. Chief track mechanic in a 155 SP battery for most of the year, then transferred to an 8 inch/175 battery that stayed in base camp for a while. Mostly moved around the area north of Long Bien, but some time in the Delta too. We provided arty support for other more mobile units, 11th Armored Cav, Big Red One, etc.

Posts: 1642 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
Please count me in. I served a year in Nam and a year in my home town as a Nurse Recruiter.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Father served in the navy, grandfather was in the army, he was on the border with the Punitive Expedition against Villa, although he was in the stateside element. Had a cousin who survived the Bataan Death March. He was not allowed to leave the service upon his return, he spent some time at Walter Reed hospital while they put some weight on him and strengthened him up. Never spoke of his experience, my mother told me.

Posts: 12180 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
Maybe I'll get lucky my birthday is the day after Memorial Day.

I've had family members serving since the 1700's My Great Grandpa was in the Civil War along with other family (Southern Side Smile )
My Daddy and his brothers did during WWII and my brother in law.

Then me U.S. Army and below my ugly mug in West Germany. Thanks Q

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
Count me in on behalf of my grandfather and two great uncles seen in this photo. Thanks!

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the opportunity. Geaux Army

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in! US Army, 1975-1982. No pics left-house fire in the 90's.

As far s stories go-

I was assigned to a Nato site in Germany in the late 70's. They finally gave us female MP's to stand guard towers. To make a long story short, I married my M-60 gunner (Tower #1) 39 years ago. Shame on the Army for two "man" towers!

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Sweet weapon.

Served 1983-1989, USN.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Texans
posted Hide Post
Very nice of you to recognize this group. I did not serve but my father was in the Navy during WW2.

Posts: 722 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JPD217
posted Hide Post
Please include me, Grandfather in WW2, Father was in Korea. Thank you very much for your support of our military, and LE.

Posts: 2585 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for a chance at a very generous karma. I'm an active duty Army officer with 17 years of service. Four combat deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan and 11 duty station later I'm still loving what I do.

Good luck to all and thanks for all of your service.

Posts: 2017 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Father was WW2 vet as a tanker with 2nd Cav. Was in 5 battle campaigns. Really believe he has PTSD that was never treated. Brother in VN era Army.
Thanks for chance.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Please count me in. US Army 87-97

Posts: 5319 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Once again, extremely generous Karma!

Please put me in for a chance.

My Grandfather was Army Corps of Engineers and was involved in the construction of the Ballard Locks that link Lake Washington to the Puget Sound in Seattle.

My Father retired after 21+ years in the Navy. His last cruise was on the USS Burton Island, an Ice breaker where they went both north and south. Somewhere, we have 8mm home movies of the ships crew hunting Polar bears with M1 Carbines circa 1965 or so.

My Brother and I both went into the Marines, I got out as a Sgt about 3 weeks before Operation Desert Shield started up. My brother ended up doing three tours to Iraq, retiring as a full bird Colonel.

My youngest son is currently serving in the Air Force, at Warner Robins.

One of my fondest memories was while working the overnight shift at I level Avionics, my shop was tasked with having the section coffee gedunk. We had a 100 cup or so commercial pot and the overnight crew was supposed to have the first pot ready by 0600 for when day crew and all the senior NCOs wandered in.

At the time, I was not a coffee drinker at all. Especially in southern California heat. As such, I knew nothing about how to make coffee and at times was a little irked that someone who partook of the coffee wasn't involved in the making of it.

Soooo, sometimes I would uses the same grounds as the last pot. other times I would use half the amount off grounds or twice the amount of grounds. Whatever struck my fancy. There may have even been a time or three when copious amounts of mineral oil (used in my shop) somehow made it's way into the pot.

Funny thing is, as much as the coffee was messed with, it was extremely rare that anyone ever complained. However on Mineral oil days, there did tend to be a lot more head traffic... Wink

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10938 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post