SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency : Year III
Page 1 ... 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 ... 348

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency : Year III Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The rat has started backpedaling. But, "sloppiness"? Anyone remember "extremely reckless"? Roll Eyes
This scum needs to go to prison.

https://www.foxnews.com/politi...r-scathing-ig-report

Comey admits error in defense of FBI's FISA process after IG report: 'He was right, I was wrong'

By Ronn Blitzer | Fox News
Published 38 mins ago

Former FBI Director James Comey admitted on "Fox News Sunday" that the recently released Justice Department Inspector General’s report on the launch of the FBI’s Russia investigation and their use of the surveillance process showed that he was "overconfident" when he defended his former agency's use of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA).

This comes days after IG Michael Horowitz’s report and testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee detailed concerns that included 17 “significant errors and omissions” by the FBI’s investigative team when applying for a FISA warrant to monitor former Trump campaign adviser Carter Page. Horowitz referred “the entire chain of command” to the FBI and DOJ for “how to assess and address their performance failures” during the probe, which was conducted while Comey was in charge.

"He's right, I was wrong," Comey said about how the FBI used the FISA process, adding, "I was overconfident as director in our procedures."

Horowitz did make it clear that he believes the FBI’s investigation of Russian election interference and possible connections with the Trump campaign was properly initiated, but he did note that this is based on a “low threshold.” He also concluded that there was no testimonial or documentary evidence to show that the investigation started due to any political bias, but said the issue of bias “gets murkier” when it comes to the various issues with the FISA process.

That process included the reliance on information gathered by former British spy Christopher Steele as part of opposition research conducted by Fusion GPS for the Democratic National Committee and Clinton campaign. Horowitz’s report stated that government attorneys were hesitant to approve a FISA warrant application until they relied on unverified information from Steele. That information also was used in subsequent renewals for the FISA warrant.

Comey downplayed the role of Steel's information in obtaining the FISA warrant against Page, claiming Sunday that it was "not a huge part of the presentation to the court," although recognizing that "it was the one that convinced the lawyers" to move forward.

He claimed he had not misstated the relevance of Steele's information, but said "if I was then I'm sorry that I did that."

In addition to not properly ensuring that the evidence they presented was accurate, the FBI was found to have omitted exculpatory information about Page that could have impacted the judge’s decision in granting the FISA warrant. Included in this was an instance where an attorney was found to have altered an email to say that Page had not been a CIA source, when in fact he had been working with them. That information would have justified Page’s contacts with Russia, and its omission ultimately led to the FBI renewing the FISA warrant against Page.

In an April 2018 interview with MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow, Comey claimed that the FISA process is “incredibly rigorous” and claimed that Republicans’ criticism of the Page FISA warrant was “a political deal” that was not “based in substance or law.”

Following the report’s release, Comey essentially claimed vindication, declaring in the wake of the report that the criticism of the bureau's actions "was all lies.” When asked about vindication at a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing, the inspector general bluntly replied, "I think the activities we found here don’t vindicate anybody who touched this FISA."

On Sunday, Comey claimed that the FBI did not intentionally commit wrongdoing, but described the FBI's failures as "real sloppiness." He said that "in general" he was unaware of "the particulars of the investigation" when it was going on, but said that as the person at the head of the FBI at the time, it still falls on him.

"I was responsible for this."

Fox News’ Brooke Singman contributed to this report.

Q

Posts: 26388 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
“Real sloppiness”. Um, yeah, ok.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Report This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
Impeachment prompts House Democrat to switch parties

https://www.washingtonexaminer...at-to-switch-parties

Rep. Jeff Van Drew, one of two House Democrats who do not support articles of impeachment against President Trump, is likely to switch parties.

AWESOME.

Is it? Would he not be a Rino?
quote:
Polling indicated Van Drew would not win a likely Democratic primary.

Well, he was a bit of a DINO. South Jersey is the complete opposite of the north. He was against gay marriage, pro gun, anti impeachment...I’ll take it.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Report This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Hey, the White House Christmas tree ornament looks cool this year.

https://shop.whitehousehistory...qaAt0b8aAgcDEALw_wcB

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
This link has the same video of the interview w Comey referenced above

https://www.breitbart.com/clip...-was-not-acceptable/

Just like w AG Barr the video is much more powerful than the written transcript

If anyone had the slightest feeling that Comey was honest and honorable, please watch the interview w Chris Wallace.

Surprisingly, Chris Wallace does a decent job of challenging Comey

Comey: "Horowitz found things that we were never accused of. Which was real sloppiness"

Comey lies to Wallace's face repeatedly.

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.breitbart.com/poli...icle-of-impeachment/

Dershowitz: Supreme Court Just Destroyed 2nd Article of Impeachment

Harvard Law School professor emeritus Alan Dershowitz pointed out on Friday that the Supreme Court had undercut the Democrats’ second article of impeachment by agreeing to hear three White House appeals against subpoenas.

The second article of impeachment passed by the House Judiciary Committee earlier Friday on a party-line vote accuses President Donald Trump of “obstruction of Congress” because he appealed to the courts rather than immediately obeying congressional subpoenas.

George Washington University Law School professor Jonathan Turley had warned Democrats not to impeach the president for obeying the Constitution: “ If you impeach a president, if you make a ‘high crime and misdemeanor’ out of going to the courts, it is an abuse of power. It’s your abuse of power . You’re doing precisely what you’re criticizing the president for doing. We have a third branch that deals with conflicts of the other two branches.”

But the House Judiciary Committee ignored Turley’s warning, passing two articles of impeachment. The first accused Trump of “abuse of power” — a new standard never before used against a president — and “obstruction of Congress.”

Dershowitz: Look, the most important development happened today. The Supreme Court of the United States absolutely pulled the rug out of part two of the impeachment referral by granting certiorari, by granting review in a case where Trump challenged a congressional subpoena, and the Supreme Court said, we are going to hear this case.

think of what that message is. It’s “Trump was right.” you don’t have to comply with a subpoena of Congress unless the court tells you you have to comply. we don’t know how the court is going to come out, but they made it clear that is a viable issue. So that charge, that ground of impeachment should be immediately removed by the House and not sent to the Senate.

There is nothing to it anymore after the Supreme Court today said they were going to review on an issue when the president challenges the subpoena power of Congress. All done, it’s over!

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

Cast of characters:
The Road Runner - President Donald J. Trump
Bag of TNT - Articles of Impeachment
Wile E. Coyote - House Judiciary Committee

Big Grin Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Report This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Re; Comey, et al.

Trump campaign promised to "drain the swamp", he has and it has resulted in the revealing of a great deal, and I think Para stated in the way back, that "... this is the end of the beginning...", and that was the truth.

Ask anyone who has ever done true "dirty work", be it medical cleaning an deep and rampant infection, or dealing with raw sewage, or dead and decaying remains, dealing with the aftermath of an aircraft crash, and such things.

They are most unpleasant, and in the moment the last thing you want to be experiencing, but it is needful to be dealt with.

A great deal of the "news" is reported by the the very people that feed on the stuff that thrives in the swamp, and they are certainly going to clamor, wail and gnash their teeth.

Winning is not all about parades, floats and pretty girls.

Go Trump.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43884 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I like this one

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
https://theconservativetreehou...-agenda/#more-178666

long Victor Davis Hanson interview at link

Deep and compelling discussion between Victor Davis Hanson and Epoch Times’ Jan Jekielek about President Trump, his effectiveness, and an overall era of apoplexy amid the left as President Trump deconstructs the progressive agenda.
I watched all one hour and seven minutes of this. I strongly encourage all members of this forum to watch this interview. Hubris and Nemesis; Trump as a Sophoclean tragic hero; the definition of the deep state, its origin and true nature, its composition and the rationale of its members; the 'medieval exemptions' for the progressive elitest class; the obscenity and hypocrisy of identity politics. The wheels of the gods.

Do you want to have a real understanding of what is happening in this nation? Do you want to feel empowered as an American citizen and as a conservative? Then, I implore you to invest the time and watch this interview. I'm not exaggerating. Take the time and you'll see. Victor Davis Hanson is a national treasure.

Great video. I watched it last night and again this morning.

Posts: 12682 | Registered: January 17, 2011Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://saraacarter.com/mcconn..._campaign=social-pug

Mitch McConnell "There’s No Chance The President’s Going To Be Removed"

McConnell interview w Hannity

“This is a thoroughly political exercise. It’s not like a courtroom experience, It’s a political exercise. They’ve been trying to do this for three years. They’ve finally screwed up their courage to do it,” McConnell said.

He continued, “It looks to me like it may be backfiring on them particularly in swing districts that the Speaker’s party managed to win in order to get the majority. Most of the nervousness I see on this issue with politicians since it’s a political process is on the Democratic side.”

McConnell "My hope is it would be a shorter process rather than a lengthy process"

Once the senate starts, they will stay w this and address nothing else till completion.

Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
The second article of impeachment passed by the House Judiciary Committee earlier Friday on a party-line vote accuses President Donald Trump of “obstruction of Congress” because he appealed to the courts rather than immediately obeying congressional subpoenas.

George Washington University Law School professor Jonathan Turley had warned Democrats not to impeach the president for obeying the Constitution: “ If you impeach a president, if you make a ‘high crime and misdemeanor’ out of going to the courts, it is an abuse of power. It’s your abuse of power . You’re doing precisely what you’re criticizing the president for doing. We have a third branch that deals with conflicts of the other two branches.”

I loved that the Republicans had Turley, who didn't vote for Trump, testify. How would anyone with a modicum sense of fairness disagree with this assessment? Turley may not have voted for Trump but I suspect he doesn't consider himself a "never-Trumper"--he's too objective.

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Report This Post
Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
Republicans aim to avoid war with White House over impeachment strategy
BY JORDAIN CARNEY - 12/15/19 06:00 AM EST

THE HILL > https://thehill.com/homenews/s...impeachment-strategy

"Senate Republicans are trying to avoid a high-profile fight with the White House as they plot their impeachment trial strategy.

Divisions have erupted between President Trump and the GOP Senate on everything from witnesses, how long the trial should last and whether senators should wait until January to start it.

Now GOP leaders and the White House are stepping up their efforts to get in sync, with a Senate trial just weeks away.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) went on "Hannity," a Fox News show frequently cited by Trump, to repeatedly say he will take his cues from the White House as he plots the GOP strategy for the looming trial.

“There will be no difference between the president's position and our position as to how to handle this,” McConnell said, adding that they will be in “total coordination.”

McConnell said there was “zero chance” that Trump ultimately would be convicted by the Senate, which requires 67 votes, and removed from office and added that he thought they could get “one or two” Democratic senators to vote to acquit Trump. ".....
"The biggest point of division between Senate Republicans and some in the White House is whether to call witnesses. GOP senators are increasingly eyeing a quick trial with no witnesses for either the president’s team or the House impeachment managers.

Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) said that “America needs to hear from the witnesses” and that having a Senate trial without witnesses “would be a big mistake.”

“The Senate has promised for months now that they would have witnesses. ... They really need to bring in witnesses. They’re the chance to clean this mess up,” he said.

And Rep. Rep. Jim Banks (R-Ind.) sent a letter to Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) urging him to reconsider support for a speedy trial, arguing that Republicans should “fight fire with fire and tell them enough is enough.” Graham told The Hill that he favored a trial with no witnesses, saying, “I want to end this thing as quickly as possible.”

There are also multiple signs that Republicans want to avoid an intraparty civil war that would shift the spotlight away from Democratic divisions on impeachment.

Trump, in a boon to McConnell, offered no hard demands on the details of a trial when talking to reporters on Friday.

“I'll do whatever I want. Look, there is — we did nothing wrong. So I'll do long or short. I've heard Mitch. I've heard Lindsey. I think they are very much in agreement on some concept,” Trump told reporters.

“I'll do whatever they want to do. It doesn't matter,” he added. "......

* Diligentia Vis Celeritis *
"Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."
- Sun Tsu - The Art of War

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Everything" - Wyatt Earp

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Then, I implore you to invest the time and watch this interview. I'm not exaggerating. Take the time and you'll see. Victor Davis Hanson is a national treasure.

Absolutely. That is the second long interview of him I’ve seen, and it was worth every second.

And anyone who likes what he says should read his book The Case for Trump. It does not cover the most recent events, but it explains in detail the bases for what the left is continuing to do today.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
Picture of prepsheriff
posted Hide Post
I needed to hear this..the truth, why and how. Thank You!

Airborne ! All the Way!!

Posts: 904 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: January 10, 2012Report This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
Impeachment prompts House Democrat to switch parties

https://www.washingtonexaminer...at-to-switch-parties

Rep. Jeff Van Drew, one of two House Democrats who do not support articles of impeachment against President Trump, is likely to switch parties.

AWESOME.

Is it? Would he not be a Rino?
quote:
Polling indicated Van Drew would not win a likely Democratic primary.

Well, he was a bit of a DINO. South Jersey is the complete opposite of the north. He was against gay marriage, pro gun, anti impeachment...I’ll take it.

I think we're past the turning point where we should be questioning and suspicious of people turning away from the left. It's a growing up process on their part, and I think we need to simply welcome them to the fold and say "hey, glad you finally made it" instead of merely treating them with suspicion.

Posts: 17129 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Report This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
https://theconservativetreehou...-agenda/#more-178666

long Victor Davis Hanson interview at link

Deep and compelling discussion between Victor Davis Hanson and Epoch Times’ Jan Jekielek about President Trump, his effectiveness, and an overall era of apoplexy amid the left as President Trump deconstructs the progressive agenda.
I watched all one hour and seven minutes of this. I strongly encourage all members of this forum to watch this interview. Hubris and Nemesis; Trump as a Sophoclean tragic hero; the definition of the deep state, its origin and true nature, its composition and the rationale of its members; the 'medieval exemptions' for the progressive elitest class; the obscenity and hypocrisy of identity politics. The wheels of the gods.

Do you want to have a real understanding of what is happening in this nation? Do you want to feel empowered as an American citizen and as a conservative? Then, I implore you to invest the time and watch this interview. I'm not exaggerating. Take the time and you'll see. Victor Davis Hanson is a national treasure.
Even with my limited knowledge and vocabulary, I take much from this mans thoughts. A extremely interesting individual. As much as I have a question or two to pose, having only my cell phone, its best not to try just now.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Schumer kicks off impeachment trial negotiations with request for Bolton and Mulvaney to testify

https://www.washingtonexaminer...-mulvaney-to-testify

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer started the Senate impeachment trial negotiations by sending Majority Leader Mitch McConnell a letter with an offer on the parameters, including a request for testimonies from former national security adviser John Bolton and acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney.

In his Sunday letter, Schumer proposed that McConnell call both Bolton and Mulvaney, along with associate director for national security Michael Duffey and Robert Blair, a senior adviser to Mulvaney, to testify. All four requested witnesses have direct knowledge of the Trump administration's withholding of aid to Ukraine and of the Russia investigation origins.

House Democrats had previously subpoenaed the men, but they declined to testify. Schumer suggested that each side get to question witnesses for four hours each and added that Democrats would be open to testimony from anyone else with "direct knowledge" of the holdup of Ukraine aid.

The New York Democrat also proposed that the Senate issue subpoenas "for a limited set of documents that we believe will shed additional light on the administration's decision-making regarding the delay in security assistance funding to Ukraine and its requests for certain investigations to be announced by the government of Ukraine."

His offer signals that the Senate does not intend to rely on the House's impeachment investigation and that it is seeking an evidentiary trial.

“Senate Democrats believe strongly, and I trust Senate Republicans agree, that this trial must be one that is fair, that considers all of the relevant facts, and that exercises the Senate’s ‘sole Power of Impeachment’ under the Constitution with integrity and dignity,” Schumer wrote. “The trial must be one that not only hears all of the evidence and adjudicates the case fairly; it must also pass the fairness test with the American people.”

McConnell, along with some of the president's other ardent supporters in the Senate, has indicated that he would prefer a speedy trial that ends before witnesses need to be called. He and Schumer are expected to meet this week to discuss the details of the Senate trial. If they do not reach an agreement, the Senate will vote at each step of the process, requiring the support of 51 senators for each vote.

Schumer asked that the Senate proceedings begin on Jan. 6 of next year. McConnell has not yet responded to the letter from his Democratic counterpart.

Posts: 12682 | Registered: January 17, 2011Report This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Senate Republicans are trying to avoid a high-profile fight with the White House as they plot their impeachment trial strategy.

It's because the SSCI is screwed. There are a bunch of senators that are effed. Royally. They played the game with the Dems, and their fingerprints are all over the bullshit we've endured for the last 2.5 years.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9159 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Report This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Victor Davis Hanson is a national treasure.

I've been saying this for years.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Report This Post