SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The BBQ Thread
Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 47
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The BBQ Thread Login/Join 
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
I did 6 racks of baby backs and 2 spare ribs. This was my first time doing whole spare ribs. Coarse salt and pepper, and paprika on all. Used a jalapeno garlic seasoning I found on the spare ribs and man they were just excellent. Smoked around 250 for about 6 hours with hickory. Sealed up 4 racks this morning for the freezer too Big Grin

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Looks great!

Posts: 12921 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some posts before, I mentioned getting a Memphis Elite pellet grill, which I am extremely pleased with and have been smoking on it regularly, BUT, I still missed my Big Green Eggs that were destroyed in the Derecho last August. Went out shopping around for a new XL Egg at local dealers. Anyway I remembered the dealer where I purchased my Memphis had Primo ceramic grills so stopped in for a look see. Prices were comparable to Egg but the two zone grilling appealed. I always thought it was very dangerous to be removing the plate setter on the Egg when doing a reverse sear of protein.
Anyway I found another dealer selling Primo locally and decided to check out his pricing to keep the other guy honest. Turns out the more local dealer was getting out of the grill business as he is primarily pool/spa business and grilling wasn't the best match for them. I ended up walking out having purchased an XL and a L Primo for just a few hundred dollars over the price I had been quoted for an XL in the first place. Score! They also included a large selection of accessories and a couple bags of lump charcoal. Free delivery will be on Tuesday and I am excited to expand my grilling horizons again.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Ribs look awesome! Smoking on wood alone is chief.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
No doubt, the flavor difference from my PBC using charcoal and wood chips to the stick burner offset is very noticeably better. For a home made offset it works amazingly well. Cherry smoked chickens are just amazing IMO. The only issue is I made it too big so firing it up for a small cook is not ideal. I am thinking about building a much small "offset" that could hold maybe 1 full packer brisket for small cooks.

Nice find bettysnephew, post some pics of your first cook!

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
I made bourbon honey citrus smoked salmon on the KJ last night that turned out really good.

Posts: 1801 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
The dogs are lining up around the block for a bone.

Nabbed an almost 3 lb Prime bone-in Ribeye for this weekend.

Money shot cooked tomorrow.

edited to add:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: smschulz,

Posts: 22908 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShouldBFishin:
I made bourbon honey citrus smoked salmon on the KJ last night that turned out really good.

Please share your recipe

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4578 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post

Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
quote:
Originally posted by ShouldBFishin:

Please share your recipe

I'm a bit late with a reply. I got the recipe from Kamado Joe's YouTube video.

I personally liked it better with Buffalo Trace instead of JD Tennessee Honey.

Bourbon Honey Citrus Smoked Salmon

Brine:
3/4 cup cold water
1/4 cup Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey
2 Tablespoons kosher salt
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon

Glaze:
3 Tablespoons honey
1 Tablespoon fresh squeezed orange juice
zest of one orange
1 teaspoon Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey

Directions
Marinate a 1.5 to 2 pound filet in this brine for one hour while your grill is warming up to 250 degrees.

When the brine is complete, drain the brine and pat the fish dry. Dust both sides with paprika and put it on the smoker at 250 degrees with your choice of medium to light intensity smoking wood (I used apple.)

When the fish is about ready (30 minutes or so), brush the glaze on the top of the salmon and remove it from the grill.

Posts: 1801 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
That Salmon looks great. I will have to try that.

Doing 9 pork butts today for the neighbors graduation party tomorrow.

Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
You guys have me drooling again. Jeff, what does your rub consist of?

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post

It's been raining on and off and I don't have a covered area for my WSM. Just doing a small Boston Butt. Unfortunately, I didn't start with enough charcoal, so I pulled it off about 15 minutes after the end off the graph and put it in the oven at 250. I've got the WSM going again and will transfer the Butt back to it when the temp and smoke are right.

Posts: 10942 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
You guys have me drooling again. Jeff, what does your rub consist of?

I use this for pork shoulders

Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
I bought a large Traeger at Christmas and have had a bit of a learning curve. Could not get ribs the way I liked from my previous electric or charcoal offset smokers. I turned to the Traeger forums and got the "Oh yeah, you have to calibrate because the thermostat and probes are terrible". I bought one of these and the indicated temp was almost 40* off. Made the necessary adjustment in the setting and cranked out six racks of glorious baby back ribs for Memorial Day.

Low Tech Thermometer

Posts: 1633 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
That was a long day of cooking, but wow they turned excellent. I'm bringing them a half gallon of Tennessee Red Sauce, and I am making them a Carolina Mustard Barbeque Sauce.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
^That's just awesome! That's a lot of work there that I'm sure they appreciated. Smile

Posts: 10942 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
Salmon, asparagus, and a few ABTs

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
xantom, that's some fine lookin' bones and butts!! Agreed on the BH Tennessee Red, one of the best bottled sauces available IMO!

Y'ever cook up a batch of Fat Jonny's Bastardized Piedmont Sauce? Quite a treat on pulled pork, but DON'T sniff the pot while it's simmering!!!

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post

Ribs are on the Yoder. I used Yardbird dry rub.