SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Predictable Insanity Surrounding the Florida Shooting
Page 1 ... 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ... 97

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Predictable Insanity Surrounding the Florida Shooting Login/Join 
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
I don't know. I'm not a doomsdayer, by nature, but I can't help but believe that we are on a collision course. This entire political divide has done nothing but grow wider and get worse. When Trump was elected I had some hope that if he had some demonstrable success that some on the left would see the positives and there would be some softening of the harshness that we saw going into the election. Instead, in spite of his very arguable advances and successes, the left has gotten much worse and the media in particular are off the charts with their criticisms and outright lies. Works of fiction much of the time. The Parkland shooting is just an excuse for the left to ramp up it's agenda and these kids are nothing but pawns. Very ignorant pawns.

I can't foresee a reckoning with any of this, and it's unthinkable that we'll ever get back to where we were even a few years ago. This younger generation (up and coming voting bloc) is so indoctrinated in leftist dogma that they're blind to the views of the right. Not just blind but hate filled. Caught in the middle of this melee is our rights and the constitution and the eventual battleground will be centered around it. All we're discussing here are the symptoms of a very sick society and sides are forming. There's getting to be too little common ground to even have a discussion on most topics. If this were a marriage with these symptoms one would have to expect that it would end in divorce. The battles are coming, on this I feel increasingly certain. I'm just not sure how and when. We can't continue with our country this full of hatred and bitterness.

Rant over.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
This younger generation (up and coming voting bloc) is so indoctrinated in leftist dogma that they're blind to the views of the right.

Don't lose hope. All the MSM lets you see are the ones who agree with the narrative. There are plenty who disagree and plenty more who can listen to reasoned arguments.

Half of the lefts desire is to make us feel defeated, even when we are winning.

Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5738 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Report This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
This younger generation (up and coming voting bloc) is so indoctrinated in leftist dogma that they're blind to the views of the right.

Don't lose hope. All the MSM lets you see are the ones who agree with the narrative. There are plenty who disagree and plenty more who can listen to reasoned arguments.

Half of the lefts desire is to make us feel defeated, even when we are winning.

Exactly. I know tons of kids with their heads on straight.

I also know tons of kids who are idiots.

I’d say it’s about 50/50.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Report This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5738 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Report This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
I just took my two teenage daughters on Thursday to shoot the mid length 16" AR I built for them so count two more that are now hands-on 5.56mm AR educated for our side. They did impressively well and enjoyed shooting it. Not from the bench either, standing unsupported with iron sights. We had a memorable father / daughters day, and the rifle functioned perfectly and accurately. For every ignorant and irrational out there, we need to make sure there are at least two or more educated with knowledge, reason, and responsibility.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Report This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:
I don't know. I'm not a doomsdayer, by nature, but I can't help but believe that we are on a collision course. This entire political divide has done nothing but grow wider and get worse. When Trump was elected I had some hope that if he had some demonstrable success that some on the left would see the positives and there would be some softening of the harshness that we saw going into the election. Instead, in spite of his very arguable advances and successes, the left has gotten much worse and the media in particular are off the charts with their criticisms and outright lies. Works of fiction much of the time. The Parkland shooting is just an excuse for the left to ramp up it's agenda and these kids are nothing but pawns. Very ignorant pawns.

I can't foresee a reckoning with any of this, and it's unthinkable that we'll ever get back to where we were even a few years ago. This younger generation (up and coming voting bloc) is so indoctrinated in leftist dogma that they're blind to the views of the right. Not just blind but hate filled. Caught in the middle of this melee is our rights and the constitution and the eventual battleground will be centered around it. All we're discussing here are the symptoms of a very sick society and sides are forming. There's getting to be too little common ground to even have a discussion on most topics. If this were a marriage with these symptoms one would have to expect that it would end in divorce. The battles are coming, on this I feel increasingly certain. I'm just not sure how and when. We can't continue with our country this full of hatred and bitterness.

Rant over.

Liberals are literally losing their minds and are full of hatred. Common ground is out the window.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Report This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P229 357SIG Man:
I wish Laura would have ignored the media hype and not apologized to Camera Hogg. (snip) Has it gotten that easy for the libs that a 17 year old, still wet behind the ears, can take down someone the likes of Laura Ingraham over the word, "whine"?

Unfortunately, too many people operate on "the feelz instead of the realz," so the answer to your question is too often, "yes."

That said, and in light of the calls for boycotts and hassling (eco-bullying?) of advertisers, is there a way to positively support Ingraham and others while so many others are putting up only negativity?

God bless America.

Posts: 13500 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Exactly. I know tons of kids with their heads on straight.

I also know tons of kids who are idiots.

I’d say it’s about 50/50.

No different than the adult ratio really.

Although 50/50 might be too generous for the adults!

Big Grin

Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by P229 357SIG Man:
I wish Laura would have ignored the media hype and not apologized to Camera Hogg. (snip) Has it gotten that easy for the libs that a 17 year old, still wet behind the ears, can take down someone the likes of Laura Ingraham over the word, "whine"?

Unfortunately, too many people operate on "the feelz instead of the realz," so the answer to your question is too often, "yes."

That said, and in light of the calls for boycotts and hassling (eco-bullying?) of advertisers, is there a way to positively support Ingraham and others while so many others are putting up only negativity?

If you’ve got an idea post it. I’ve tried but unfortunately companies don’t seem to respond to positive comments as much as they do negative ones. And I’m not calling every airline who didn’t loan planes to the protesters every day and tell them. They probably don’t want that even if I wanted to. Now if one came out as pro-gun and started donating planes to take people to the NRA convention I might feel differently.

Clearly protesting works. I’m all about trying to be positive but when a company actively supports people who call me and 5 million other innocent cent people murders then I’m not all that worried about calling, or bullying them if you like that word.

I’m willing to use what works. If anyone had got any better ideas I’m all ears.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
From the files of "sometimes the first reply is the best reply," see this twitter thread regarding the price tag Hogg was wearing when he spoke at the big march, saying it represented how much value Rubio placed on the lives of the murdered students.

https://twitter.com/AMarch4Our...s/980476996256923649

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Something occurred to me today that made me grin. The intensity with which this most recent push for gun control is fading. This has been the most intense pressure for gun control I can remember since the tools used by the Left are children who were potential targets and as such unassailable. They have driven some flaccid action, but really nothing of lasting damage to the liberty of the innocent. This appears to be a great deal of money and emotion to bear such meager fruit. I don't think the Left is capable of generating the kind of emotion to move the second amendment where they want it. If Stampy Feet and Hogg-whollop can't do it, no one can. So the hysterical Left will lose heart in another dream and we will remain free.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
If you’ve got an idea post it. I’ve tried but unfortunately companies don’t seem to respond to positive comments as much as they do negative ones. And I’m not calling every airline who didn’t loan planes to the protesters every day and tell them. They probably don’t want that even if I wanted to. Now if one came out as pro-gun and started donating planes to take people to the NRA convention I might feel differently.

Clearly protesting works. I’m all about trying to be positive but when a company actively supports people who call me and 5 million other innocent cent people murders then I’m not all that worried about calling, or bullying them if you like that word.

I’m willing to use what works. If anyone had got any better ideas I’m all ears.

No sir, I don't have a great idea... if I did, I certainly would have posted it. And I don't really care for the term bullying -- that's why I used it the way I did. It appears I didn't do a good job of it.

You stated my point better than I did, clearly: companies don't seem to respond to positive comments as much as they do negative ones.

God bless America.

Posts: 13500 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Report This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Something occurred to me today that made me grin. The intensity with which this most recent push for gun control is fading. This has been the most intense pressure for gun control I can remember since the tools used by the Left are children who were potential targets and as such unassailable. They have driven some flaccid action, but really nothing of lasting damage to the liberty of the innocent. This appears to be a great deal of money and emotion to bear such meager fruit. I don't think the Left is capable of generating the kind of emotion to move the second amendment where they want it. If Stampy Feet and Hogg-whollop can't do it, no one can. So the hysterical Left will lose heart in another dream and we will remain free.

But I think some of our members who live in blue states (like me) may have some problems at the next state legislative sessions. The damage seems to be at the state level now.

And look at how gun laws vary state to state. it's staggering. I saw a thread here about a guy worried that if his flight plans changed due to something beyond his control, he could be an instant felon as he picked up his bag from baggage claim. Sad.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Report This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
oops. Asked for more government, and got it.
Kids now complaining that Stoneman Douglas is "starting to feel like a prison"

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Boulder Colorado. Enough said.

http://www.dailycamera.com/new...sion-assault-weapons

Boulder weighing measure to ban sale, possession of assault weapons
City council to consider step to curbing mass shootings

By Alex Burness
Staff Writer

POSTED: 03/31/2018 11:00:00 AM MDT | UPDATED: ABOUT 22 HOURS AGO

A proposed new law authored by the Boulder city attorney at the request of the City Council would ban, with some exceptions, the sale and possession of assault weapons, bump stocks and magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds.

The council has scheduled a special single-topic meeting, to be held at 6 p.m. Thursday, to take public comment and then deliberate on the proposal.

"I hope and pray we never have a mass shooting in Boulder," City Attorney Tom Carr said, "and what this ordinance is about is reducing, on the margins, the ease with which somebody could do that.

"If you look at most of the mass shootings, the guns were purchased legally. I see this as an ordinance that throws in one more barrier to someone who's contemplating such a horrible act."

The drafted law is the product of direction given by the City Council one week after the massacre at a Parkland, Fla., high school. Councilwoman Jill Adler Grano proposed, and received support for, consideration of a ban.

She called the proposal a "no-brainer."

The law that Carr drafted was based in part, he said, on his probe of existing laws in Denver and Vail, plus a conversation with the Giffords Law Center. It offers a specific and technical definition of the term "assault weapon."

The ordinance proposes to make the sale and possession of assault weapons — as defined by the city, anyway — bump stocks and certain magazines effective as of April 1.

That's four days before the City Council will even discuss the proposal, and at least a couple weeks before anything is formally adopted by the council.

Carr said he proposed that timing try to dissuade people who may learn in the coming days about the potential law, then rush out to make would-be-illegal purchases before they council votes on adoption.

The ordinance would not require people to turn over assault weapons they already legally possess. It would simply ban them from selling or acquiring new ones after April 1.

Potential effect complicated

There are currently two gun stores in Boulder: Gunsport of Colorado, at 14th Street and Arapahoe Avenue, and Bison Tactical, located at Broadway and Pearl Street above Savory Spice Ship. For them, the law's mandate would clearly be to stop selling the banned products

Representatives from both stores declined to comment for this story.

But for the consumer, the law's potential effect is more complicated.

Carr has recommended exemptions for weapons owned by police, federal officers, military personnel; holders of federal firearms licenses, stamps or permits; and competitive shooters who are members of organized groups that gather for the purpose of competition.

Those who possess items subject to the drafted version of the law — assuming the council follows through on its apparent intent to pass a ban in some form, the final version could look quite different — would have to register their weapons with the Boulder Police Department.

Anyone found in violation of that would be first "educated and informed" by police, and then potentially would face up to 90 days in jail and a $1,000 fine if they fail to come into compliance.

The proposed April 1 effective date presents a curious enforcement challenge for the city, because what's to stop someone who buys a banned weapon after April 2 from telling police the weapon was purchased before the law's effective date?

"I don't know," Carr said. "It could be that you might have them show receipts ... or you might have people sign an affidavit under threat of perjury, but we have not worked out the registration system yet."

There would be no registration system for bump stocks and banned magazines, though; as Carr's written it, those items would be outright banned and have to simply be handed over.

Lawsuit anticipated, if measure passed

The city has no idea how many people in Boulder own the items that the council is considering banning.

But Boulder County Sheriff Joe Pelle said that assault weapons are quite popular, in his experience.

"I think there are a lot of people that own AR-15s and that kind of thing — what some people would call assault weapons," Pelle said. "I think they're very common. And also very common are large-capacity magazines."

He couldn't put a number on it, but he did add, "We get called constantly about people shooting in the mountains, on the forest. Our deputies went to over 600 of those calls last year, and they commonly encounter people with semi-automatic rifles and large-capacity magazines. It's very, very, very common."

Greg Testa, Boulder's police chief, who said he supports the proposed ban, said, "I don't have any idea how popular (assault weapons) are with Boulder residents."

In theory, the drafted law would give law enforcement a better sense of how many people own these items in Boulder, since the weapons would have to be registered and the magazines and bump stocks turned in. The functioning of that system, however, relies upon voluntary participation of residents. And, as Carr admitted, it won't be hard for law-abiding gun owners to be discrete and never have to register, or to buy banned items outside city limits and keep them at home.

He said he knows the law won't prevent ownership of the potentially banned items in Boulder, but that he hopes it'll still make a difference.

"The city's law can't curb gun violence, but the easy availability of assault weapons, I believe, has contributed to mass shootings, and I believe that's what council is trying to address," Carr said.

He's also said that he expects the city to get sued if and when it passes a ban. He believes what he's proposed is legally defensible, and the fact that a similar policy in Denver has twice been upheld in court gives him further confidence.

One group, the Rocky Mountain Gun Owners, has already threatened a lawsuit.

"RMGO would request that the council abandon this effort," the group wrote in an open letter in February. "Should the council elect not to, RMGO does anticipate litigation against the city to strike an ordinance down."

Grano, the councilwoman who proposed this ban in the first place, issued a response: "Thank you for communicating this threat. I am sure that suing a home rule city for enacting common sense legislation that the majority of Americans support and that has been upheld elsewhere in the state and nation, at the same time as our children are being mauled down in their schools by assault weapons, will provide excellent publicity for your organization."

Alex Burness: 303-473-1389, burnessa@dailycamera.com or twitter.com/alex_burness

How does the proposed law define "assault weapons"?

As City Attorney Tom Carr has drafted it, "assault weapons" are defined as:

• All semiautomatic rifles that have the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and that have any of the following characteristics: a pistol grip or thumbhole stock; a folding or telescoping stock; or any protruding grip or other device to allow the weapon to be stabilized with the non-trigger hand.

• All semi-automatic center-fire pistols that have any of the following characteristics: the capacity to accept a magazine other than in the pistol grip or any device to allow the weapon to be stabilized with the non-trigger hand.

• Any firearm which has been modified to be operable as an assault weapon as defined by the city, plus any part or combination or parts designed to convert a firearm into an assault weapon

If you go

What: Special meeting of the Boulder City Council to consider a ban on assault weapons, bump stocks and magazines with the capacity to hold at least 10 rounds

When: 6 p.m. Thursday

Where: Boulder Municipal Building

More info: Public comment will be taken. The meeting will be broadcast live online and on television by Boulder Channel 8.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Report This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
I didnt know people commonly had 100 rounders for their ar 15s. Since those would be high capacity, since a 30 rounder is standard for the gun. Or substandard like a 20 or 10.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Report This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
90 days in jail for possession of something that’s perfectly legal under federal law. These fucking communists are evil.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Report This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
• All semi-automatic center-fire pistols that have any of the following characteristics: the capacity to accept a magazine other than in the pistol grip or any device to allow the weapon to be stabilized with the non-trigger hand.

Well damn, there goes Han Solo’s blaster, and any other broom handle Mausers. Because I’m sure they show up at most school shootings. Roll Eyes

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Report This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Well damn, there goes Han Solo’s blaster, and any other broom handle Mausers. Because I’m sure they show up at most school shootings. Roll Eyes

Most Broomhandle Mausers don't have detachable magazines. Their fixed internal magazine is loaded from the top with stripper clips.

(However, the full auto Schnellfeuer models have detachable magazines, and some of the Spanish, Chinese, and US commercial clones have detachable magazines.)

The "magazine outside the pistol grip" as originally included in the 1994 Assault Weapon Ban (and a number of subsequent state-level AWBs) was initially designed to target the cheap "ghetto blasters" popular with thugs at the time, like the Tec-9 and various clones.

Nowadays, of course, that same language would also serve to prevent people from easily skirting the "assault rifle" ban by simply building AR pistols and the like.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post