SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Predictable Insanity Surrounding the Florida Shooting
Page 1 ... 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ... 97

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Predictable Insanity Surrounding the Florida Shooting Login/Join 
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:...It is sad that too many in society ....are willing to surrender their rights for an empty promise of security, which will amount to oppression and captivity .

I think more often too many are willing to surrender others' liberty for security and profit...

I can't disagree. As I have commented before, many are ignorant and/or apathetic, somehow they don't see taking away others rights will come back and burn themselves. Others are complicit, they intentionally maintain their own rights, and seek to dominate others under the guise of helping others.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Report This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Others, still, see it as a path for anything from social acceptability to a Hollywood contract to public office - and never bother to think of anything else because being an 'insider' will get them special treatment if anyone finds out that they have a gun.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Report This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
There are very rich and powerful organizations out there that are spending millions if not billions of dollars in an attempt to take away our ability to defend ourselves.
What nefarious shit are they going to try if they are successful?
I think there are two primary motives. First is absolute control. Second is part of the first, self defense/preservation. I think they have screwed things up so bad that to remain in control they will have ...

Like modern day Venezuela. Who has the ("legal") guns?

Posts: 15893 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Report This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Geee...color me shocked that no college wants any part of this kid:

David Hogg revealed on Tuesday that he has been rejected from four schools

Despite organizing a global movement against gun violence which they themselves billed as a 'revolution', some of the survivors of the Parkland school massacre have not been granted admission to their chosen colleges.

On Tuesday, David Hogg, one of the most vocal survivors of the February 14 atrocity, revealed that he had been rejected from four of the schools he applied to; UCLA, UCSD, UCSB and UC Irvine.

Hogg, 17, is not alone. Fellow survivor Ryan Deitsch was turned down by UCLA.

It is not clear what either wants to study. Hogg has a 4.2 GPA and scored a 1270 on his SATs, both of which are considered above average.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
There are very rich and powerful organizations out there that are spending millions if not billions of dollars in an attempt to take away our ability to defend ourselves.
What nefarious shit are they going to try if they are successful?
I think there are two primary motives. First is absolute control. Second is part of the first, self defense/preservation. I think they have screwed things up so bad that to remain in control they will have ...

Like modern day Venezuela. Who has the ("legal") guns?

If the people were smart enough to resist disarmament, their kids would be going to bed tonight with full bellies, their wives and daughters would not have to sell their bodies and defile themselves to survive and their sons and fathers would not have to helplessly watch the family suffer. This whole mess would have been over before it started.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
People need to stop referring to this little commie asshole as "survivor". Hogg wasn't even on school property when the shooting occurred. I'm as much of a survivor of that shooting as he, which is not at all.

Posts: 107582 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post

This says it all.

Posts: 5738 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
AFAIC he's a poser opportunist. He was biased Left before any of this happened and he saw the event as a catalyst to put him where he aspired to be. He rushed to the scene not to help, but to capitalize. I suspect his just ignominy awaits him right around the corner. With any luck, his sour puss will adorn memes of ridicule for decades to come.

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
^^^ I agree with most of the above post in the white box, but IMO social media has made bullying almost a 24/7 activity in some cases in that a kid suffering from bullying can either be bullied even alone in their own home, either by direct interaction or by posts/comments about them from bullies.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Report This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
This asshole, running for Sheriff in North Carolina, suggested killing people to take their guns away. His name is Daryl Fisher, and this total scumbag should have his smile wiped off his face.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.co...-to-take-their-guns/

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Report This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
On Tuesday, David Hogg, one of the most vocal survivors of the February 14 atrocity, revealed that he had been rejected from four of the schools he applied to; UCLA, UCSD, UCSB and UC Irvine.

1. Maybe it's because he hasn't been to school in something like six weeks? Doesn't that violate some sort of attendance/truancy policy? Can one actually graduate, with that kind of absenteeism? Confused

2. When even California schools don't want your liberal bullcrap on their campuses.... Razz

God bless America.

Posts: 13500 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
This asshole, running for Sheriff in North Carolina, suggested killing people to take their guns away. His name is Daryl Fisher, and this total scumbag should have his smile wiped off his face.

Oopsie! Now he's sorry...

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
If he wins, will they have to change the name of the county to Bunkum County?

Of course he apologized. North Carolina still has a healthy population of rednecks. Now he can claim that he "has to be sensitive to the issue" so he has an excuse to not take gun owners or their heirs on.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is not clear what either wants to study. Hogg has a 4.2 GPA and scored a 1270 on his SATs, both of which are considered above average.
How does one get a 4.2 GPA? Most schools have a 4.0 as highest.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:

Oopsie! Now he's sorry...

He isn’t sorry. He is just sorry that got leaked.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Report This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of course he apologized. North Carolina still has a healthy population of rednecks. Now he can claim that he "has to be sensitive to the issue" so he has an excuse to not take gun owners or their heirs on.

With any luck his mouth has cost him the race.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:

flashguy

It's high school. Most don't go off a 4.0 gpa scale.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
1270 doesn’t get you into UC. He would be a visible failure.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Report This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

flashguy

If a HS student is in advanced placement classes and gets a 4.0, there is extra GPA awarded to note that he/she excelled in classes more difficult than what normal students take.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Report This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

flashguy

I'm pretty sure all schools still consider 4.0 all "A"s, however...

If you take AP courses, you can raise your cumulative grade point average above a 4.0

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Report This Post