SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Predictable Insanity Surrounding the Florida Shooting
Page 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 97

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Predictable Insanity Surrounding the Florida Shooting Login/Join 
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
Funny stuff.
A congressional candidate running on a platform of more gun control laws, illegally creates a Short Barrel Rifle (SBR) and post the video on Facebook.

Showing the need for more laws by breaking the law.
Very clever of her. Big Grin

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WVEC) -- The Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) is investigating congressional candidate Karen Mallard after she posted a video on Facebook that shows her cutting apart an AR-15 rifle.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/RFTA3AVJ674

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Report This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Oh look David Hogg....Student Activist in a video 6 months before shooting:

A pair of mouthy teenage self entitled snowflakes being treated as they should be.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I can't stomach the arrogant little bastard. What does he say in that video?

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Check this out. You think Dem's have 'any' interest in anything other than stripping all law abiding firearms owners of their 2A rights, check out the amendments to the Florida gun control bill that thank god failed today.

https://www.tallahassee.com/st...apons-ban/392380002/

Florida Senators voted mostly along party lines on what should be added - or removed - from the legislation.

Assault Weapons and AR-15s
That includes a two-year moratorium on the sale of AR-15's, the type of gun used by the shooter last month at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, and a full-out ban on "assault weapons."

Senators voted 21-17 to defeat amendments to add the ban and moratorium to the bill. Two Republican Senators, René García and Anitere Flores, crossed party lines on the vote. Both are from blue Miami-Dade County. (Anybody still think the Repubs can be counted on to protect our 2A rights much longer?)

Other amendments
The Republican-led Senate also rejected several other amendments to the bill, including ones to:
  • Allow family members to take out risk protection orders, which prevent people who could harm themselves or others, from purchasing guns.
  • Require trigger locks and lockboxes for firearms.
  • Create a statewide gun registry.
  • Require a mental health examination for anyone looking to obtain a concealed carry permit.
  • Allow police to take away weapons from someone under a domestic violence injunction.
  • Combine funding for school resource officers and the school marshal program.
  • Ban assault weapons within five miles of a school.

And the amendment to ban "assault weapons' was put forth by my Dem senate rep, a woman who by comparison makes Forest Gump look like a brain surgeon. Meet the face of the deranged enemy in Florida.

Linda Stewart

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ IMO, banning ANYTHING within 5 miles of a school here would ban it for the entire city of Dallas. There is not a square inch of this town that is not within 5 miles of some school. The 1000-foot "Gun Free Zone" almost managed to do that--thank goodness it's gone.

Do these people even have 2 functioning brain cells?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I can't stomach the arrogant little bastard. What does he say in that video?

Basically he and his friend got stupid on a beach in LA and then got mouthy with the lifeguard when he corrected him......the usual snowflake crap of "he made us afraid". Then at the end there was a collection of videos he did as he changed his story on the shooting several times.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Report This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Do these people even have 2 functioning brain cells?

flashguy
I've had many arguments with Ms. Stewart in the past given she used to be a country commission here in Orange County, and I can state without hesitation that she does not have two functioning brain cells. She is truly and without question, one of the top five dumbest people I have encountered in my lifetime.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Report This Post
Picture of nojoy
posted Hide Post
I'm waiting to see what WA state does. Imposing an age limit for rifles wouldn't surprise me for a start.

Posts: 1292 | Location: Marysville, WA 98271 | Registered: March 18, 2004Report This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Two Republican Senators, René García and Anitere Flores are long time, dedicated, hard-working gun confiscators.

Work hard to counter their efforts, and support Republicans who protect the 2nd.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Report This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Artie, who's your House and Senate reps? Mine Are Mike Miller-R / District 47 who voted 'No' on the bill, and Linda Stewart-D / District 13 (a woman so stupid she could actually fail an IQ test). I'm not going to waste my time with Stewart.

Mine are Larry Metz and Kelli Stargel, both R, but both "leadership" types who look a lot like the establishment. They voted against the "assault weapons" amendment but for the bill.

As I say, I wrote to both of them, and the governor, but I don't think it will matter. I also gave them hell for not passing campus carry. I have an office on a college campus, and would like to have the ability to carry there, but currently cannot.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Report This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Audio just released of Peterson's radio calls. Despite his attorney saying he thought the shooter was outside, he radioed that the shooter was inside and told officers to stay at least 500 feet away from the building. This confirms the witness statements that everyone knew the shooter was inside and people were running past Peterson to help students while he was cowering in a stairwell.

You can hear his radio calls at the link:

http://www.miamiherald.com/new...rticle204226584.html

Disgraced Parkland deputy heard shots inside school building, told cops to stay away

Roundly vilified for not entering a Parkland high school during a mass shooting, Broward Deputy Scot Peterson insisted publicly that he believed that gunfire was happening outside on campus — not from inside the building.

But internal radio dispatches released by the sheriff's office Thursday show Peterson immediately fixated on Building 12 and even radioed that gunfire was happening “inside.”

And, just as school shooter Nikolas Cruz was fleeing the building after killing 17 people, Peterson warned his fellow officers to stay away — even as wounded students and staff lay inside.

BSO policy calls for deputies to engage an active shooter and eliminate the threat.

Do not approach the 12 or 1300 building, stay at least 500 feet away,” Peterson said over the radio, according to the records released Thursday.

The second-by-second timeline and audio recording of police radio chatter sheds new light on the chaotic and much scrutinized law-enforcement response to the bloodshed at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High on Feb. 14, the state’s worst school shooting.

The records appear to support Broward Sheriff Scott Israel’s contention that Peterson, a longtime school-resource officer, should have entered Building 12 to engage Cruz and try to prevent deaths. They also appear to show that other deputies may have refrained from rushing into the school at Peterson’s direction. The response by his agency has been the subject of national scrutiny, and is currently under review by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.

Jeff Bell, the president of BSO’s police union, welcomed the release of the audio and timeline

“It certainly backs up that he never went into the school,” Bell said of Peterson. “At one point he says to keep back 500 feet. Why would he say that?”

The Broward Sheriff’s Office pieced together the timeline through radio dispatches from Broward and Coral Springs police and video surveillance from the school.

According to the timeline, this is what happened:

Cruz was dropped off at the school by an Uber at 2:19 p.m. Two minutes later, he entered Building 12. He began firing within 15 seconds. Peterson, at the time, was near the administration building.

At 2:22 p.m. the fire alarm was triggered, blaring throughout the entire campus. The first 911 call also went out, via Coral Springs emergency-dispatch center.

“Be advised we have possible, could be firecrackers. I think we have shots fired, possible shots fired —1200 building,” Peterson radioed at 2:23 p.m.

At that moment, according to the video, Peterson arrived at the southeast corner of Building 12, where he appeared to remain “for the duration of the incident.” “We’re talking about the 1200 building, it’s going to be the building off Holmberg Road,” Peterson said seconds later. “Get the school locked down, gentlemen.”

As the shots intensified, other deputies began racing to the scene, radioing in. One believed he heard shots by the football field, something Peterson mentioned in a statement released last month by his attorney, arguing that the school resource deputy thought shots were coming from outside the 1200 building.

“BSO trains its officers that in the event of outdoor gunfire one is to seek cover and assess the situation in order to communicate what one observes with other law enforcement,” Peterson said.

But Peterson, according to the timeline, remain focused on Building 12.

“All right... We also heard it’s by, inside the 1200,” Peterson said at 2:25 p.m.

Joseph DiRuzzo, Peterson’s attorney, did not respond to an email and a call to his office.

Calls about the shooting began “blowing up” the 911 call centers. Students were spilling out of the campus. Peterson radioed to make sure “no one comes inside the school.”

At 2:27 p.m., six minutes after Cruz went into Building 12, the shooting stopped. Cruz ditched his AR-15 in the third-floor stairwell and left.

Five seconds later, Peterson radioed for officers to “stay at least 500 feet away at this point.” A dispatcher repeated, “Stay away from 12 and 1300 building.”

Coral Springs officer Tim Burton had just arrived at Douglas High. At 2:28 p.m., he radioed out the first description of Cruz: “White male with ROTC Uniform Burgundy Shirt” — exactly what the shooter was wearing when he was arrested later. How Burton obtained the information was unclear from the timeline.

At 2:29 p.m., as officers began encountering wounded students, Burton met with Peterson outside Building 12.

The chaos continued. Deputies tried getting into Building 13 next door, but it was locked. A fleeing student appeared to be stuck in a fence; a deputy asked for bolt cutters. One deputy called for a command post to be set up.

“We need to get units in here so we can trying to find this guy,” a deputy radioed.

It was at 2:32 — 11 minutes after the shooting began — that four Coral Springs officers and two BSO deputies made the first police entrance into the building, helping to “extract a victim.”

By 2:35 p.m., officers were seen transporting a victim on a golf cart. One minute after that, 10 officers burst into Building 12 through an east-side entrance.

Down the street, Cruz had entered a Walmart and bought a drink at the Subway inside. By 3:30 p.m., a Coconut Creek officer saw Cruz and arrested him without incident. Cruz was indicted Wednesday on 17 counts of first-degree murder and 17 counts of attempted murder.

The Broward Sheriff’s Office released the timeline Thursday following weeks of mounting pressure to make the details of its police response public. The Miami Herald, South Florida Sun-Sentinel and CNN sued the agency last month to force it to release surveillance video, and their lawyers argued in court Thursday that it was in the public interest to release the footage.

The sheriff’s office tweeted Thursday about the case.

“BSO agreed in court today with the media that surveillance video from outside Marjory Stoneman Douglas High should be released publicly. Legal exemptions block the release unless a judge approves. The judge took it under advisement and we hope for a ruling shortly.”

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I felt sorry for this guy, but no more.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I felt sorry for this guy, but no more.

Same. He royally screwed the pooch.

The only question is whether 100% of the blame lies with that officer, or whether his department's training (or a deficiency in training) has to shoulder any of that blame as well.

No officer or department should be utilizing the "hold a perimeter and wait for SWAT" tactic when dealing with active shooters. We're coming up on the 19 year anniversary of Columbine, which highlighted the error of that style of response.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
back on page 30, there is a pic showing the ambiguity of where Peterson was actually at. (west side or east side)

The report above says SE corner. so it looks like this is the right location

B12 is 200 ft long

Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
back on page 30, there is a pic showing the ambiguity of where Peterson was actually at. (west side or east side)

The report above says SE corner. so it looks like this is the right location

Which does confirm the student's account of him cowering in a stairwell with his body armor and pistol, while unarmed students, teachers and coaches ran past him into the building to try to help the students being shot.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Report This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've had many arguments with Ms. Stewart in the past given she used to be a country commission here in Orange County, and I can state without hesitation that she does not have two functioning brain cells. She is truly and without question, one of the top five dumbest people I have encountered in my lifetime.

It makes sense, then, that she's worked her way up the political ladder. Probably has a Nobel Prize in her future.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Baltimore City schools will bus students to the DC protest on March 24.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/ne...-20180308-story.html

Here's what we know about Baltimore Mayor Catherine Pugh's plan to bus students to a gun control march

Ian Duncan Contact Reporter
March 8, 2018

When students marched on Baltimore’s City Hall this week demanding action on gun control, Mayor Catherine Pugh announced that she is planning to bus thousands of students to Washington later this month.

The March for Our Lives, scheduled for March 24, is being organized by survivors of the massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland Florida, where 17 people were killed by a gunman on Valentine’s Day.

Here’s what we know about the plan:

Pugh said Tuesday that it would cost $100,000 to provide 60 buses, lunch and t-shirts for about 3,000 students. At a news conference on Wednesday the mayor said she wanted “to get as much private dollars as we can” and asked if public money would be used said: “We’ll cross that bridge if we get to it.”

Pugh and Council President Bernard C. “Jack” Young both said the organizers of the event contacted the city for help. Pugh said Wednesday that the organizers told officials they had contacted Baltimore leaders because “There needs to be more diversity there for the march.”

March 24 is a Saturday so Pugh said that by supporting the march she is not encouraging students to miss a day of school.

Pugh told reporters that she thought it was important that the city support students who want their voices to be heard, especially because she thinks the kind of gun violence that most affects young people in Baltimore is often lost in national debates about gun control.

“While our conversation may be lost in this national debate, the pain and suffering our children are experiencing are still something that we need to address,” she said.

The organizers of the march could not be reached for comment.

The bus plan has made the mayor into a minor character in the partisan debate over gun rights and gun control.

Pugh made a contentious appearance on the Fox News show Ingraham Angle on Wednesday evening to talk about the plans. The mayor and host Laura Ingraham spent much of the time talking over one another.

Ingraham asked whether Pugh would help students who wanted to attend an annual anti-abortion March for Life. Pugh said the organizers had not contacted her.

iduncan@baltsun.com

twitter.com/iduncan

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ The students who go to that march should be required to make up that day in school, preferably a Saturday. Any teachers who accompany them should also have to make up a day.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
My prediction is that Governor Scott will sign this bill because it contains a lot that he supports. I also predict that it will not be long before a legal challenge will be filed against the new age limit to purchase a gun. I don't see how it can pass constitutional muster to deny a fundamental right to the entire class of persons age 18-20. It will be an interesting legal journey to follow.

If it turns out to be possible to deny a constitutional right to that age group, then I would suggest a new law banning anyone under the age of 21 from protesting on college campuses. It should cut down quite a bit on the the violence and destruction of property that the lefties have perpetrated in their campaigns to shut down speakers and other conservative events.

I've written the governor urging him to veto the bill.

Governor Scott signed the bill into law today. The NRA immediately filed a lawsuit alleging the infringement of the 2nd Amendment rights of people between the ages of 18-21.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Report This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
^^^^^ The students who go to that march should be required to make up that day in school, preferably a Saturday. Any teachers who accompany them should also have to make up a day.

flashguy

They also should pay for the expense of the bus ride.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Report This Post