SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Predictable Insanity Surrounding the Florida Shooting
Page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 97

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Predictable Insanity Surrounding the Florida Shooting Login/Join 
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
My feeling is that he's doing the same thing he did with DACA...daring the demonrats to try to pass gun-control legislation.

quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
Not thrilled with President Trump supporting raising the age for purchasing AR-15's.

That brings us into classifying which rifles are more evil than others.

A very slippery slope in my opinion.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Report This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
Oh boy Eek

https://twitter.com/fguzmanon7...s/966825501846274048

I guess they were making sure to protect him from some potential lynch mob.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
They may not put any effort into guarding a school, but by gum they are going to protect the guy who allowed the shooter to have his way with the unarmed students and teachers.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Report This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
Oh boy Eek

https://twitter.com/fguzmanon7...s/966825501846274048

I guess they were making sure to protect him from some potential lynch mob.

Waste of police resources. Let the fucker protect himself. He's shown that he's good at protecting *only* himself.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Report This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I'd be curious to know what the SOP is in that Sheriff's Department for responses to shootings such as this.

I'm not defending what this deputy did or didn't do, but perhaps he was doing what he was supposed to do or was directed to do and is now being thrown under the bus by this POS Sheriff.

Posts: 20100 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I'd be curious to know what the SOP is in that Sheriff's Department for responses to shootings such as this.

I'm not defending what this deputy did or didn't do, but perhaps he was doing what he was supposed to do or was directed to do and is now being thrown under the bus by this POS Sheriff.

Isn't his whole reason for being there to engage threats and protect the students and staff? Or is his firearm there simply to protect himself?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Post Columbine I'm pretty sure every PD in America's SOP is to enter and engage the shooter.

Posts: 7475 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Report This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Well, one would think so.

As I recall, the officers at Columbine acted similarly by not entering the building.

Posts: 20100 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Report This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I would hope that were I in that situation, I would have the sand to "break protocol" and live with the consequences or die trying to do all I could.

I just cannot see myself sitting by, with means and ability to engage, while unarmed innocent people are being slaughtered.

Just no way I can get my mind to accept it being OK.

Some things are not "just a job".

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43882 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jac1304:
Well maybe if...Florida governor calls on FBI director to resign after flub on school shooting tip...the governor should get the sheriff to resign since his agency dealt with suspect 39 times and his deputy let the killing continue...wants to discipline others for their failures but not his own failure to lead.

Hell I'd take it further and say that deputy should be charged. His retirement should be spent in prison.

I wonder how many other acts of cowardice he displayed in his years on the department that simply weren't caught.

Picture of jac1304
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Post Columbine I'm pretty sure every PD in America's SOP is to enter and engage the shooter.

Yes, it’s the only way we train..

Posts: 908 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: February 17, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Any active shooter training taken by any LEO recently stresses (1) Stop the Killing- engage the shooter (2)Stop the Dying- attend to the wounded.

Posts: 3596 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Report This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:

As I recall, the officers at Columbine acted similarly by not entering the building.

Yeah, and before 9/11 I could fly with my Leatherman on my belt.

EVERYBODY knows the rules changed after Columbine. . .

Engage the shooter ASAP.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Although it doesn’t sound good and he’s resigned, I’d like to see the video of him, see his statement or hear it and the departments investigative statement (not the Sheriff but IAD) before passing judgement.

Posts: 1452 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Report This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
My view on the age change issue would be, if society has truly devolved to the point where someone is no longer mature enough to own a rifle at 18, why would they be mature enough to join the military or even vote at 18? How about parents teach their kids personal responsibility and how to actually be an adult by 18? Then again, if they are eating Tide pods and unsure of which restroom they should be using do we really want them having rifles at 18? A conundrum indeed.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Report This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

Yes. Enter and engage but, its up to every officer if he waits for a team to form or he chooses to go it alone.

That being said... as a former SRO I can't imagine any SRO waiting any amount of time as his kids were being slaughtered. I loved my kids. Being an SRO was the highlight of my 23 years in law enforcement. I have never been more embarrassed for my profession than today. Apologies to all.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Report This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:

Doctrine then was to set up outside, gather forces and then make a plannedentry. As memory serves one of the SROs engaged a shooter when he tried to fire from an upstairs window.

Here's how the coward of Parkland feels:

"The sheriff’s deputy who failed to engage the shooter at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School “believed he did a good job” because he called in the location of the massacre and gave a description of the shooter, a top union official said Thursday.

School resource officer Scot Peterson, who resigned in disgrace from the Broward County Sheriff’s Office, was “distraught” about the shooting that killed 17 people — but believed he did his duty, according to the president of the Broward Sheriff’s Office Deputies Association.

“He believed he did a good job calling in the location, setting up the perimeter and calling in the description (of Cruz),” said the union official, Jim Bell."
https://nypost.com/2018/02/22/...s-he-did-a-good-job/

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I initially blamed the Officer. Then I thought, if I was at a alternative school for malcontents would I be willing to take a bullet for them when I could just retire ? Of course teachers are in need of protecting, but schools,especially inner city, are not the havens of safety being portrayed. Contact with the students probably would not be a positive experience. I will wait for more info to come out

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Report This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldbill123:
I initially blamed the Officer. Then I thought, if I was at a alternative school for malcontents would I be willing to take a bullet for them when I could just retire ? Of course teachers are in need of protecting, but schools,especially inner city, are not the havens of safety being portrayed. Contact with the students probably would not be a positive experience. I will wait for more info to come out

No. The deputard is a goddam coward and deserves whatever he gets.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Report This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
That guy is going to hate himself for the rest of his life. It was his defining moment, and he chose to let his emotions control his actions. He was just the wrong man for the job.