SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Explain the meme thread
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 36

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Explain the meme thread Login/Join 
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I get more comments on my stupid cartoon than on any medical stuff I post!
[Rodney Dangerfield] I don't get no respect.[/Rodney Dangerfield]
obviously, you've got friends in low places . . . .

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I'm quite familiar with the classic "there was no punch line" joke. Big Grin That one should be known as not "not drawn well enough to get it" joke. Roll Eyes

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Report This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I get more comments on my stupid cartoon than on any medical stuff I post!
[Rodney Dangerfield] I don't get no respect.[/Rodney Dangerfield]

c'mon, cardiology...pfft, BFD Big Grin

Now a funny cartoon that stumps the crowd- that is something else Smile

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16696 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post

OK, who is this, please?

flashguy

Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Comic Pauly Shore, 1994 movie "In the Army Now".

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Report This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I know where the lyrics are from and know what the Lightning is but don't know what the one on the left is, so am confused how it ties in with the lyrics.

quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Report This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know where the lyrics are from and know what the Lightning is but don't know what the one on the left is, so am confused how it ties in with the lyrics.

The left plane is a Republic P-47 Thunderbolt.

Posts: 27957 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Report This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:

quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:

Based on the lyrics... Probably a thunderbolt.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...lic_P-47_Thunderbolt

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1541 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Report This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Ah, was thinking "Kung Fu Fighting." Thank you, sir!

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Report This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Ahhh...now I get it.
Had the thunder and lightning part right, but didn’t put it together with the very, very frightening part making the song...

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Report This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
"I outrank you starter kit" ??? Say what?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16215 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Report This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

Graduation day at U.S. Military Academies.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Yeah I spotted the hats in the air business but that still doesn't explain the "starter kit" business. Is that some "inside" term used by ring knockers?

This is really getting old where so many memes being posted require some kind of "cheat sheet" to decode what's supposed to be funny. Frown

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16215 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C-Dubs:
Ahhh...now I get it.
Had the thunder and lightning part right, but didn’t put it together with the very, very frightening part making the song...
I don't know the song, so the meme didn't register. (I have seen the movie, though . . . .)

flashguy

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yeah I spotted the hats in the air business but that still doesn't explain the "starter kit" business. Is that some "inside" term used by ring knockers?

This is really getting old where so many memes being posted require some kind of "cheat sheet" to decode what's supposed to be funny. Frown
Your avatar indicates that you are retired Navy. Commissioned? Enlisted?

I was E-5 and had to deal with a couple of shiny new ensigns who arrived at our squadron. They had no experience whatsoever, but they thought that the gold bar on their shirt collars made them more knowledgeable than some of the twenty year chiefs. Hence graduation day started them down the path of "I outrank you."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Your avatar indicates that you are retired Navy. Commissioned? Enlisted?

I was E-5 and had to deal with a couple of shiny new ensigns who arrived at our squadron. They had no experience whatsoever, but they thought that the gold bar on their shirt collars made them more knowledgeable than some of the twenty year chiefs. Hence graduation day started them down the path of "I outrank you."

Mustang* officer, retired. And yes, we used to compare freshly minted OCS, ROTC, and Academy types with the later claiming to know all yet know zip. (I was OCS FWIW and we knew we didn't know much to begin with).

* meaning prior enlisted

That still doesn't really explain the apparently euphemistic "starter kit" business.

And besides my advanced age I'm still working on my morning coffee here. Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
OK, would someone please explain to this clueless one (me) what this Patrick Swayze meme is about?

V-Tail, I understand your situation as an E-5, even though I didn't encounter it. (I was a new butterbar USAF in 1960, commissioned via AFROTC; however, my instructors--and the USAF NCOs in the detachment--had emphasized that as a new officer I needed to consult and listen to the older NCOs before making rash decisions. I did follow their suggestions and I like to think it worked for me--and them.)

flashguy

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
OK, would someone please explain to this clueless one (me) what this Patrick Swayze meme is about?

Swayze is a ghost in that 1990 movie titled Ghost, and Aykroyd is a ghostbuster.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Swayze is a ghost in that 1990 movie titled Ghost, and Aykroyd is a ghostbuster.
Yes, but in that scene, he hasn't been ghostified yet. Razz

Posts: 2661 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Report This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rawny:
quote:
Yes, but in that scene, he hasn't been ghostified yet. Razz

Soon... Big Grin