SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wal-Mart reverses stance, announces plan to limit gun and ammo sales
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 17
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wal-Mart reverses stance, announces plan to limit gun and ammo sales Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
Not good. less competition means higher prices.

But the local gun stores are going to make out like bandits!!!

Yep. Let the price gouging begin.

Remember the good old days when walmart still had a ball sack? 100 rounds of 9mm for 10 to 12 bucks. Guess what I bought a lot of? Every shopping trip

Shot a box or two, stored a couple more. Next thing you know you have a bit of a stash. Great for me right. Wrong. Bad for gun owners in general.

Less competition, higher prices. Bankers hours at the mom and pop shops to get your ammo (if they open that day at all).

All adds up when factoring in the fun for casual shooters that buy a lot of other stuff other than just guns and ammo. Like holsters and accessories.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Gonna be interesting to see their financials in a few months.

Posts: 3660 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Walmart sucks and I avoid it like the plague. They actually only have a few marginal firearms and some typically cheap-ass junk for hunting supplies. I don't like the trend, either, but I typically frequent the retailers that are truly in the firearms business. These type places often have better prices and they truly deserve the business!

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Ahh, and now local radio news is leading with this story...let the virtue signaling and celebrations begin. Eek

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
McMillon is a jackass. Walmart has taken a huge dive with him at the helm. Amazon is kicking his ass and he’s clueless as to why.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gear.Up:
Meh.

The only reason I've been inside a Wal-Mart in the past 10 or so years was to pick up a jug of Mobil 1.
X 2.

Posts: 242 | Location: Gig Harbor WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by highroundcount:
Problem is, this is just a sign of things to come.

I know a lot of folks will say just buy online. Issue is some states target that also. What happens then?

Others will say start rolling your own. Great, but components won't be far over the horizon when they finally hobble the assembled ammo market.

Eventually what used to be a fun hobby becomes a pain in the ass and support drops out. People get busy with life and family and say fuck it, throw the shooter in the closet, drop their club memberships and stop going to competitions.

Anything like what walmart is doing is just another cut toward eventual death of what used to be a really fun pastime.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.9mm:

Well said! I have stopped shopping at ours altogether. This latest move re-enforces my decision.

Well, I've never stopped shopping there and in fact always defended Walmart when others here criticized them, but this move by Walmart has severely pissed me off. I will do everything I can to avoid shopping there in the future. Believe me, this is a big move for me. I wish I had a Sam's Club membership so I could cancel it.

I'll just add that I don't buy firearms at Walmart, just ammo. The ammo decision is what has me teed off

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've purchased ammunition at WM in the past, but rarely. I tend to buy in bulk at the big gun shows or online. So it is really a non-issue for me, but some folks will be impacted much more locally.

I'm pretty sure WM as a corporation will be fine, they will take a hit, and some stores maybe a moderately big hit, but they are plenty big enough to ride it out.

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
I'll still stop there when convenient, but I just sold my WMT stock and will tell them why. Also planning to trade Sam's for Costco. I just don't feel like supporting these decisions, even passively.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
So since they are going to virtue signal on guns, how long before they stop selling products with alcohol, considering they've probably sold beer to someone that killed another person on the road, boat, bike....

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Fugg’em. We live in a fairly small town and Walmart is pretty much the only game in town for many items since KMart and Sears Outlet went out of business. We have a Dunham’s sporting goods store for guns and ammo, fishing, sports clothing and ball play gear camping, and quite a few grocery stores. I had been using Walmart’s pharmacy for the prescriptions the VA won’t fill and family meds but moved away due to policy changes not honoring discount cards certain meds. I also stopped shopping groceries from them so admittedly I don’t shop there much unless there are items I can’t get elsewhere. After this decision I’ll stop shopping there completely. They are welcome to make there own choices about what they sell and I’ll make my choice about whether or not I give my business to them. Fugg’em.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Originally posted by highroundcount:
Problem is, this is just a sign of things to come.

I know a lot of folks will say just buy online. Issue is some states target that also. What happens then?

Others will say start rolling your own. Great, but components won't be far over the horizon when they finally hobble the assembled ammo market.

Eventually what used to be a fun hobby becomes a pain in the ass and support drops out. People get busy with life and family and say fuck it, throw the shooter in the closet, drop their club memberships and stop going to competitions.

Anything like what walmart is doing is just another cut toward eventual death of what used to be a really fun pastime.

Got to remember. Not every state is like Texas. A lot of the stores that sold guns and ammo here stopped after the shootings.

Salem has been taking aim at online sales for a few years now.

A lot of the smaller stores in my area dried up in the early to mid 2000's and the remainder are terribly expensive on ammo.

Not all areas are the same, some will feel this more than others.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Another reason to avoid Walmart. Looks like target and grocery stores will get more of my business.

Fixed it for ya. Wink

I'd shop at wm periodically but now I will sharply curtail doing business with them and encourage other 2A minded folks to do the same.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
From the CEO's letter re ammo sales and guns,

Link

Finally, we encourage our nation’s leaders to move forward and strengthen background checks and to remove weapons from those who have been determined to pose an imminent danger. We do not sell military-style rifles, and we believe the reauthorization of the Assault Weapons ban should be debated to determine its effectiveness. We must also do more, as a country, to understand the root causes that lead to this type of violent behavior. Today, I’m sending letters to the White House and the Congressional leadership that call for action on these common sense measures. As we’ve seen before, these horrific events occur and then the spotlight fades. We should not allow that to happen. Congress and the administration should act. Given our decades of experience selling firearms, we are also offering to serve as a resource in the national debate on responsible gun sales.

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I stopped going to trashy places like Wal-Mart several years ago. Truly trashy, from the many customers to their employees. And, I never bought one round of ammo, or a single firearm, from them.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Got to remember. Not every state is like Texas. A lot of the stores that sold guns and ammo here stopped after the shootings.

Salem has been taking aim at online sales for a few years now.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
People have moved for less. I used to consider the PNW, not anymore. It used to be a beautiful place. California was even nice in the day.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I stopped shopping at K-Mart when they did this in the aftermath of columbine

I will now stop shopping at Walmart.

I bought a ton of ammo from them. Shit I just bought some yesterday

It was a great way to “sneak” a box in here or there when I bought other stuff I went there for

I would pass a target to get to a Walmart to buy a box of 9mm with my bananas.

Well, fuck you Walmart.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
They don't even sell ammo anyways. I go in there and if I'm lucky enough to find any on the shelf is rationed anyways. I'm not going to go in there every day and buy a couple of boxes, I buy it by the case. Most I've ever been permitted to purchase was four hundred round boxes of federal, even when they let you buy the 'big' boxes it takes an act of God to find someone with a key anyways.

Fuck Walmart and their smelly gross stores.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just canceled my account. Voting with your $$$ speaks louder than just getting pissed.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post