SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    The Greasy Old Mil-Surp Thread
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Greasy Old Mil-Surp Thread Login/Join 
Picture of jmarv
posted Hide Post
I finally got a J. P. Sauer and Sohn manufactured Mauser. A "CE" code Russian capture. The pictures dont really show how nice the wood grain is, but the bright (outdoor) light does really show off the shellac on all the metal work.

I also aquired these recently. A 1942 Remington M1903 and a 1954 HRA M1 Garand with CMP wood.

Joe
_______
P6, P226 .40, P232, SP2009 (Schwyz), P220 9mm (Geneva), P226 9mm (St. Gallen), P320SC

Posts: 465 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: October 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Not much activity in this thread lately...

Here's my latest addition, another K98k. This one was produced in 1936 at ERMA (Erfurter Maschinenfabrik).

Now I need to update my Mauser family portrait. Wink

Posts: 32398 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
jmarv,the remington 1903 pictured with the cmp purchase come from cmp?

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jmarv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
jmarv,the remington 1903 pictured with the cmp purchase come from cmp?

I bought the M1903 from a local auction. It was advertised as a USMC rebuild. However, I'm told it's more likely to have been a post-war Navy rebuild.

Joe
_______
P6, P226 .40, P232, SP2009 (Schwyz), P220 9mm (Geneva), P226 9mm (St. Gallen), P320SC

Posts: 465 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: October 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I was in Navy boot camp in 59.
We drilled with the 1903a3 models.
They they took us to Pendleton and handed us an M-1 with three clips of ammo.
[Surprisingly we all qualified.]
You would have laughed your ass off if you had counted the maggy's drawers.
Old Navy don't give a shit about small arms.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
OK 45 Cal, now you went and done it. That term maggie's drawers, have heard that long ago. I dont remember what that means.. Roll Eyes Now I feel young you old salty dog. I was just born in '59.

Posts: 17889 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maggie's Drawers was the red flag waved by spotters to indicate you missed the target.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9123 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I didnt remember that.. Wink

Posts: 17889 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I don't know if they still do what we did or use spotting scopes these days.
Back then one platoon would be in the pits in a deep drench and target were on a trellis system.
The were pulled down and plugged with a marker,a miss was a red flag on along pole to alert shooter he had missed.
They the other platoon would change places for their shoot.
It was a good system.
You also might want to know we had no eye or hearing protection.
The Navy fed us good,gave us good clothes a warm rack to sleep and worked the shit out of us.
I you were poor sighted they gave you some of the ugliest glasses,when you went deaf they discharged you as there were lots of guys trying to get in to replace your ass.
Great time in my life,would do it all over again.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Back then one platoon would be in the pits in a deep drench and target were on a trellis system.
The were pulled down and plugged with a marker,a miss was a red flag on along pole to alert shooter he had missed.

The way I learned about Maggie's Drawers was that my father got five in a row when he was trying to qualify during WWII. He'd fire one shot, get Maggie's Drawers, fire again, Maggie's Drawers, and again...

He asked the instructor how the guys in the pit knew immediately he had missed, since for everybody else they had to be told to look for hits. Turns out, he had bumped his sights and put all his rounds into the wooden target supports just off the target paper. A tight, 2" group at 200 yards he said, all into the frame. Cool

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9123 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Neighbor just got back from Houston. His FIL has a nice assortment of M1s and a couple 1903s...

Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Holly hell I'll say,he got one of them expensive one also.
I have drooled each time I went to CMP on the scoped ones.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
This thread is entirely too stagnant. Wink

While re-oiling part of my collection this morning, I decided to get a group photo of some of my Enfields and their bayonets.

WW1 P14
WW1 No. 1 Mk. III SMLE
WW2 No. 1 Mk. III SMLE
WW2 No. 4 Mk. 1
Post-WW2 No. 5 Mk. 1

Posts: 32398 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Garands

Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Rogue;how do you like the web sling?
I have both you have pictured,leather stiff as a board[I know I need to address that]
The web has been in the washing machine a couple times and it still sucks.
When I shoot I like to use a hasty sling and it fights back.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I prefer the look and feel of the M1907 leather sling. (That one is from Turner Slings.) But I prefer the ease of use of the M1 web sling.

Mostly they're just for looks, though. I rarely sling up when shooting my Garands. I don't compete or shoot for groups; I shoot those for fun.

The leather sling was the primary one used during WW2, with the web sling only showing up in use in limited numbers towards the end of the war, starting in mid-1944. However, the web sling was more common after WW2.

Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Thanks,that web has got some more trips in the washing machine

Picture of Newf
posted Hide Post
My modest collection; only relatively recently got bitten by this bug so have a few more on the list to acquire eventually.

1941 Ishevsk SVT-40
1942 Finnish VKT M39 Mosin
1942 Swiss K31
Russian letter series('56) unissued/unrefurbed Tula SKS

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Newf,

Posts: 920 | Location: Canada | Registered: June 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devil's Advocate
Picture of Holger Danske
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rogue;how do you like the web sling?
I have both you have pictured,leather stiff as a board[I know I need to address that]
The web has been in the washing machine a couple times and it still sucks.
When I shoot I like to use a hasty sling and it fights back.

My '44 A303 has the leather sling with the metal grommets(?). My DCM Garand has the web sling. Way, way back when, in my teens, my dad showed me how to use the leather sling, but I remember it being damned complicated. However, I can easily wrap the web on the Garand for a half-assed sling-hold, which works for me for fun.

________
Homo sum: humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 1080 | Location: Baton Rouge | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Well, since Photobucket decided to go Full Retard, thus breaking all of the photos I've posted in this thread, I figured I'd better repost some of my milsurps.

The rest of my collection is long overdue for some newer/better photos, so I didn't bother migrating them over to my new account. I'll get some new photos of those done when the mood strikes me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,