SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    The Greasy Old Mil-Surp Thread
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Greasy Old Mil-Surp Thread Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Neutron:
quote:
Originally posted by acidjazz:
The one thing about being a gun owner in Canada, is if you like Russian surplus stuff, it's painfully cheap.
This is a snap shot I took from a local dealer's website...

This shop is 70 miles from me, AND has Russian TT-33's WITHOUT the added safety for $169:
http://www.leverarms.com/pisto...tml?manufacturer=152

Might as well be 7,000 miles away.

5 minute drive for me. If you could legally import one, I'd help you with the process, but I don't know how that works.

Posts: 1179 | Registered: June 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
Thought I'd share my M1D before I move it along.

The rifle is a Service Grade M1D from the CMP that I purchased back in 2011 or 2012. The scope is also from the CMP. The T37 and cheek pad were purchased off of the CMP forum.

I've only had it out on one range trip but I was surprised by it's potential with surplus HXP.

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
What a gorgeous rifle, sjames. I'm sure you were sad to see it go. I hope it went to another good home.

Posts: 32493 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
résidait cajun regardant un couyon tête du pays
Picture of neiltus
posted Hide Post
This followed me home the other day.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Is that a Springfield Model 1922?

Posts: 32493 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
résidait cajun regardant un couyon tête du pays
Picture of neiltus
posted Hide Post
Yep. some of the shop workers really did not know what it was...

Brought it home, patched it, then went to the indoor (blah) range to shoot 50 CCI SV through it offhand, shot VERY well.

Only thing I am going to change is a larger aperture from another lyman sight I have.

If only it were legal for CMP matches. I can get away with it locally,

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Just a few of mine. All acquired at the same time at one auction for less than $900 (including M1 Carbine stock with metal & M1903 stock set with metal). G96/11, K31 Walnut, M39 (Sako rebuild), Ishapore 2A.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jmarv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jmarv:
This all started because I thought it would be neat to have a K31 with the receiver and barrel made by SIG, and then try to find a Mauser 98 that was made by J.P. Sauer. I'll stop buying these rifles after that, right? Wink

quote:
Originally posted by navyshooter:
Good luck with that Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Not likely.

You guys sure are a bunch of enablers, aren't you? (By the way, thanks for that!) Smile

Since posting my K31, I've picked up 3 Mausers and an Enfield. I think this addiction is full blown! More pics soon...

Joe
_______
P6, P226 .40, P232, SP2009 (Schwyz), P220 9mm (Geneva), P226 9mm (St. Gallen), P320SC

Posts: 465 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: October 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jmarv
posted Hide Post
Another pic of my K31, with a Weaver V22 mounted on it. The scope isn't all that great, but it sure looks the part.

1933 Czech VZ24.

1944 Turkish K Kale. This thing is a tack driver and so much fun to shoot! Best bang for the buck (pun intended) that I have ever spent on a firearm.

Enfield No4 Mk1* (Long Branch, 1942). I just picked this up yesterday. I haven't even ordered ammo for it yet.

Sporterized Danzig 1916 GEW 98. My Uncle ordered this out of a Spiegel's catalog in the late 1960's. This is just how it arrived in the mail. He even included the first box of ammo he purchased.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jmarv,

Joe
_______
P6, P226 .40, P232, SP2009 (Schwyz), P220 9mm (Geneva), P226 9mm (St. Gallen), P320SC

Posts: 465 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: October 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Looking good, jmarv.

As far as the Enfield goes, nothing glaringly obvious jumps out at me from those photos as being missing. You might post a thread in the Rifle section with your specific concerns, and we can help you out further.

And yes, Turkish Mausers are definitely one of the "sleeper hits" of the milsurp world, provided you can find one with a decent bore. It appears that many of the Turkish soldiers weren't exactly sticklers for prompt cleaning after the use of corrosive ammo.

Picture of jmarv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looking good, jmarv.

As far as the Enfield goes, nothing glaringly obvious jumps out at me from those photos as being missing. You might post a thread in the Rifle section with your specific concerns, and we can help you out further.

Thanks, Rougue. I have since edited my post. I initially thought it was missing the bolt release. (The stock is inletted for it). Now I have learned the difference between a No4 Mk1 and a No4 Mk1*. I didn't know that asterisk actually meant something.

quote:
And yes, Turkish Mausers are definitely one of the "sleeper hits" of the milsurp world, provided you can find one with a decent bore. It appears that many of the Turkish soldiers weren't exactly sticklers for prompt cleaning after the use of corrosive ammo.

I guess I got lucky. My original plan was to use the action, and put a Swedish M38 carbine barrel on it. But it shoots too nice to disassemble it for parts.

Joe
_______

SIGforum's official Dance Professor
Picture of SRA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcltc:
Not greasy as I cleaned them up before putting them on the flag...a CMP 1955 H&R M1 Garand, and a Colt M1911 from 1918

Great photo mcltc! Thank you for sharing it.

My Fifteen Seconds of Fame

Posts: 3212 | Location: Utah, United States | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've picked up a couple new K98k Mausers in the last few weeks.

The first is a German K98k produced in 1937:

It was made by J. P. Sauer und Sohn (factory code S/147), which is one of the predecessors to the current company known as Sig Sauer:

This K98k was produced during the period when the German arms industry was transitioning from Weimar Republic-style eagle proof marks to Nazi-style eagle proof marks, so this rifle features both styles together:

The other K98k is a Czech K98k produced at the CZ plant in Brno immediately after the end of WW2.

CZ Brno had produced K98ks for the German military during the German occupation, up until the very closing days of the war. After the end of the war, they kept on producing K98ks, using both parts left over from the production of German K98ks as well as new production parts. These postwar Czech K98ks were used to rearm the Czechoslovakian military, as well as exported to other countries to help boost the postwar Czech economy. One of the major foreign buyers of these postwar Czech K98ks was the fledgling state of Israel, and you commonly see postwar Czech K98ks that have Israeli markings or that have been rebarreled to 7.62 NATO by the Israelis in the 1950s. However, this rifle remains in the original 8mm Mauser chambering, and does not have any Israeli provenance, so it was likely a Czech military rifle.

The K98ks produced at Brno for the Wehrmacht during the German occupation have the traditional German eagle proof markings, but after the war, Brno switched to a Czech "rampant lion" proof mark, as seen on the receiver and barrel. (However, some of the other parts on this rifle were leftover from German K98k production, and retain their German eagle proof markings.)

Here's a shot of my K98k family together. From top to bottom:
- 1937 German K98k produced by J.P. Sauer und Sohn
- 1939 German K98k produced by Berlin-Luebecker Maschinenfabrik
- Postwar Czech K98k produced by CZ Brno
- Postwar Yugoslavian rework of a German K98k (unknown original maker)
- 1950s Israeli K98k produced by FN and later rechambered to 7.62 NATO by the IDF

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Picture of jmarv
posted Hide Post
That's a very nice collection of K98K's. The wood on that Yugo refurb has some nice grain and coloring. I'm particularly envious of the 147 code, that's a really nice find.

Joe
_______

Picture of mcltc
posted Hide Post
A CMP H&R M1, which I posted earlier, along with an Italian Carcaco Type I "Arisaka Type 38", no longer adversaries

"Nothing ruins a good war story like a good eyewitness" - Annonymous

Posts: 56 | Registered: November 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
along with an Italian Carcaco Type I "Arisaka Type 38"

Very nice. You don't see those every day. Only about 120,000 were produced by Italy for Japan, and only a small fraction of those made it into the US (perhaps a few thousand).

Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
I'll add to the compliment of the K98's. I have a real soft spot for old Mausers, especially the K98. Too bad they arent as easily available as they once were.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcltc
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
along with an Italian Carcaco Type I "Arisaka Type 38"

Very nice. You don't see those every day. Only about 120,000 were produced by Italy for Japan, and only a small fraction of those made it into the US (perhaps a few thousand).

Thanks. Wife's grandfather was on Iwo Jima with 5th MARDIV - makes it even more special!

"Nothing ruins a good war story like a good eyewitness" - Annonymous

Posts: 56 | Registered: November 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
1967 Ishapore 2A1 Enfield

These were Indian-made rifles based on the earlier No. 1 Mk. III SMLE, but which were produced in 7.62x51mm instead of .303. They were designed and produced during the mid-1960s, while India was attempting to get licensing and manufacturing set up to produce Indian-made copies of the L1A1 FAL.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
When it rains, it pours... I stumbled across another 2A1 today at a price that was too good to pass up. It's also a 1967.

Here she is, along with my other SMLEs. From top to bottom:
-1918 Enfield No. 1 Mk. III in .303
-1937 BSA No. 1 Mk. III in .303
-1967 Ishapore 2A1 in .308
-1967 Ishapore 2A1 in .308 (the new one)
-1918 Chapman P1907 bayonet

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,