SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A new distraction ...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A new distraction ... Login/Join 
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
<snip>

Would there be enough clearance to tuck the mufflers into the rear fender wells and not have any issues with heat? Then add s few 4" round LED tail lights for a clean look?

I've seen a few mufflers with dual inlets and tips a while back, strapping the license plate to a single horizontal muffler a possibility...

Guess I'm one of those fellas that can't leave anything the way it came.

These mufflers are petty big so I doubt if they’d tuck under... and I really don’t want to but a 3rd exhaust system ... although the zoom pipes with baffels look cool but reports are they don’t sound good.

I bought a set of original tail lights to mount on the fenders and amber lights to replace the red ones in the engine cage, I really like the tone oh the duals.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
So its been a little over 3 months since I've checked in ... not long after my last post I took it to the hi-way patrol; it was on a non-highway title so I had to have it inspected to be changed to a standard highway title. On the way there I went through town and never got out of 3rd, but going from the hi-po inspection station to get it registered I did get on the highway, when I shifted into 4th the whole car shook violently like it was going to explode, 4th gear was busted Frown

When I told the previous owner he said he had bought it as a project, without a motor and never put one in it, but to give me a choice of two spare transaxles he had, but he didn't know anything about either, they came out of wrecked bugs he had bought for parts several years ago ... anyway I put one in and it works fine but is noisy ... I don't know how long its going to last, but for the last couple hundred miles its shifts and otherwise works fine ... push in the clutch and its fine, but with a positive or negative load on it, it howls. I hope to find a good used one, and I'm sure i probably will ... right after i spend about $1,200 for a rebuilt.

I did buy the 92mm heads, larger piston kit and a free-flow oil pump with an actual filter from Claud's Buggies, along with a new gasket & seal kit, and a complete nut, bolt and and screw kits ... hopefully will be getting to that in the next month or so.

I've coated the pan inside and out with spray-on bed liner to try to insulate from the noise and its helped a little, but not as much as I'd hoped for ... i really need a quieter trans ... also, the "quiet" off road exhaust is louder than expected, there isn't a lot of difference between it and the stinger with a baffle. I may end up getting duals after all.

I found an Audiovox AM-FM cassette stereo that came out of a 1978 MG-B and it works perfectly, even the cassette player works! It looks pretty good too; since it didn't come with an antenna so I'm using a hidden one. I've still got a couple AC-DC and other cassette taps I haven't heard in decades ... the tape drive must be gear driven because belts like are common in 8-track players would have disinergrated by now!

Anyway, quite a few improvements have been achieved, the turn signals blink and it starts easily and stops pretty well for manual drum brakes two tone with white inserts and graphics on the sides and graphics.
Its got two theft deterrent devices, a key operated battery cut-off and a QD steering wheel! If thieves want it there isn't much I can do to stop them.

Well, its still a work in progress but here's some pictures ...

posted Hide Post
Sell the bug, buy the Uzi. I am just kidding, the VW looks great. My problem my whole life has been too many things I want to do and not enough money.

Posts: 617 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Definetly looking good. Hope you get the transmission fixed without too much expense.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
It's coming along nicely.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
is this for Syracuse dunes ?
or just funning around on the street , mostly

https://www.riderplanet-usa.co..._14629/ride_38df.htm

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great!

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
is this for Syracuse dunes ?
or just funning around on the street , mostly

https://www.riderplanet-usa.co..._14629/ride_38df.htm

That looks like a blast ... if I were only 20 years younger, I'd still be foolish enough to try it!

quote:
Originally posted by molachi:
Definetly looking good. Hope you get the transmission fixed without too much expense.

I can't find anyone in the area that still works on VW swing-axles ... there are a couple shops in the midwest but they are several hundred miles away ... short of finding a good used one I'll probably end up buying a rebuilt ... changing it out isn't terrible but it's nothing I look forward to.