SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
Guys that order watches via the internet. I don't want this thing sitting unattended on my porch before I get home. How do you arrange it so that doesn't happen?

I emailed Long Island Watch. They said in the special instruction box just write "signature delivery." Okay but you know how something like this might be overlooked, and I've got a thousand dollars sitting on my front porch.

I have things delivered to my office. Someone is always there to receive the delivery.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toxophilus84:
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Man... I'm still wrestling with a decision. I can buy a Sinn 104 right now. Or a Marathon GSAR soon. Those are ticking high on my "it's built like a tank and practical" meter.

Or I can leave that cash in the safe and sell a pistol, a guitar, and an amp and buy a Seamaster 300m soon. Or a Sinn 857 UTC and a 104 for roughly the same money.

I'm going to get the ball rolling on one of these things before the year is out. I've spent the last nine months or so considering an investment-grade tool watch or luxury watch, and instead of thinking about it, I could just be wearing one.

I've never regretted the Marathons that I've bought, nowdays I treat them like everyday pieces; the JDD I haven't taken off since I got it... I'm thankful that I have two wrists Big Grin

I wore a Marathon GSAR from about 2010 until last year. There were others in my rotation, but it was my primary.

Last October I upgraded to a Marathon JDD. Mainly because I wanted bigger numbers, and the day function in addition to the date.

It's basically the perfect watch to me. The only thing that could make it better is if it had a GMT hand, but I suppose I could use the bezel to track a different zone if I really wanted to.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
P220 Smudge, for what it’s worth the Glycine aluminum factory bezel insert does form a glorious patina over time and with hard use. I need to get a pic of my fathers Glycine combat sub, it looks like it’s been to a war. My father has beaten the snot out of it and still reports consistent +5 seconds a day.

You had mentioned interest in the Seiko Stargate with the white dial. I recommend scooping one up while prices are reasonable. The Stargate is one of the few that hasn’t jumped yet as far as pricing but it is beginning to as more modders and fans discover that cool (discontinued) series.

I’ve gotten a few killer deals ($200 range or below) on various Stargate I & II used examples.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21078 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
This blue dial Stargate II is probably going to get modded because of its unfortunate chapter ring misalignment. For a 7 year old watch it’s keeping incredibly good time.

One of my favorite recent mods was a very minor change to my SRP789K1 but it had a big impact on the aesthetics of the watch.

Before:

After:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stickman428,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21078 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Got my invitation to purchase my Helm Komodo today. I've been waiting quite a while, so the invitation email was welcome. Time to wait.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38601 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The Komodo is a sweet watch. I like its size more than my Vanuatu. The Komodo has a very cool case shape. Mine has found its way into my heavy rotation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I was a little concerned about it's height, but I'm guessing it'll feel close to my Maratac.

Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38601 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of toxophilus84
posted Hide Post

the handle?... it's Latin for "Lover of the Bow".

Posts: 222 | Location: Earth, Colorado | Registered: March 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
Got my invitation to purchase my Helm Komodo today. I've been waiting quite a while, so the invitation email was welcome. Time to wait.

Do you know what your number was? I am 16XX.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

In the 70's....74 maybe?

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

In the 70's....74 maybe?

What a dope I am; of course you had a low number.

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Not at all. Reasonable question.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
blue dial Stargate II

Pretty cool, despite the misalignment. Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
My blue JDM turtle is done. Other than the crown, bezel and case which are all finished in IP Blue from Crystal Times this build is 100% original Seiko parts that were taken from either the SKX 007 or SRP turtle.

I considered using a blue PADI dial or maybe a Silver dial but in the end this dial won because even the lume has a bit of blue in it. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Seems like prices of used watches other than Rolexes is going up. Rolexes already were nuts. Used Omegas are often more than new now.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
My blue JDM turtle is done.

Nicely done, stickman!

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:

I like the different lume on the minute hand. Unique!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
My blue JDM turtle is done. Other than the crown, bezel and case which are all finished in IP Blue from Crystal Times this build is 100% original Seiko parts that were taken from either the SKX 007 or SRP turtle.

I considered using a blue PADI dial or maybe a Silver dial but in the end this dial won because even the lume has a bit of blue in it. Cool

What is the name of the lume that is white colored and glows light blue? Thanks.

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
BGW-9

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Yep. Seiko uses the blue lume on some of their newer divers and occasionally on rare JDM dials. I was regretting modding a rare DLC JDM turtle but I have now used its movement, dial and hands for a perfect project.

My watch matches my outfit perfectly! My PADI Turtle might have been replaced as far as my favorite Tuttle in my collection goes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~