SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I’m a big fan of micro brands. Phoibos, Helm, Zelos, Maranez, and many others make quality, affordable watches that are often superior in some ways. Many micro brands use sapphire crystals with anti reflective coating which is something you don’t see with Seiko until you get to the mid tier priced watches and up.

I’ve noticed the micro brands I own often have better fit and finish compared to Seiko’s more expensive offerings that use the same movement. The misaligned chapter ring and inconsistent bezel action/alignment being the most common complaints with Seiko.

Back when the SKX was affordable Seiko was making good entry level stuff. In the past few years the micro brands have caught up and now offer significantly more bang for your buck.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21074 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Good to hear. I'm eyeing an Islander or Phoibos dive watch as my next watch purchase, to replace my beat up $40 Casio Duro quartz.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Phoibos is a company I truly adore. I sold a Phoibos and lost my original bracelet links and in a last ditch panic move I emailed Phoibos’s customer service. They confirmed the watch model because it was one I bought from a 3rd party vendor and didn’t match the models I bought from them directly.

Phoibos then FREE OF CHARGE mailed me a very generous portion of extra links. Eek Cool

That my friend is how you treat your customer. Many of these micro brands not only use quality materials but also go above and beyond to please their customers.

You don’t see the same level of customer service from more luxury/boutique brands.

I also forgot to mention micro brands often use ceramic bezel inserts and generously apply lume to their dials and bezels which only adds to the functionality and aesthetics.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21074 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I love my Islander, it probably gets the most wrist time. The owner was prompt in responding to emails about different bracelets

Can't find my pics of it

Link to it

https://longislandwatch.com/is...yfHUb7xoCRPgQAvD_BwE

Posts: 5299 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I've read a little about the various Aliexpress options, but I'm pretty hesitant to go that route.

While I understand that many (most?) of the $200ish microbrands source their dive watches from Hong Kong anyway, you're at least getting a US-based retailer and US warranty support.

And you're not having to deal with Chinese shipping/customs, or send your personal information or credit card info to China...

Have never had to pay any customs yet, the shipping has been free, I used Apple Pay when I bought them on my phone, so no credit card info was sent, my address is really no big secret. The only disadvantage is the shipping does take awhile anywhere from 7-30 days. Steel Dive has a really good reputation, numerous Youtube reviews. Decided as much as I like the Tuna's looks its really not one I would wear that much, glad I only spent $90 bucks on it instead of $1000+. The Willard is one that I might end up getting from Seiko. What is really wild is Sapphire quartz and ceramic bezels to boot, also they have kept super accurate time. Oh and I almost forgot, the LUME IS BRIGHT!!!!!

Posts: 3560 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I’ve only run into customs issues with watches from the UK and Germany. I believe there is a dollar threshold that once you reach you will have to pay an import fee. Strange thing is I have had some watches make it out of both countries without any additional fee.

I have bought a lot of watches from China/Hong Kong and not once run into any additional shipping fees or import duties.

I’ll let you know on Japan soon. I have a sweet vintage reissue Hamilton that is inbound from Japan. I read something in the range of $600-1000 being the threshold where the value/purchase price could be high enough to result in an additional import fee/duty.

If it’s a sub $600 watch purchase you probably don’t need to worry about purchasing internationally. It’s the $2k and up examples that are most likely to come with a surprise import fee. Which is actually very easy to pay and handle.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Well, I stumbled across a great deal on a lightly used Phoibos Wavemaster PY010B in blue while browsing eBay last night, and pulled the trigger. Should be here sometime next week, or so. I'll be sure to post my thoughts when it arrives.

I got it for ~$130, because the seller had mistakenly listed it as "Phobias" brand. (Probably posted it from his phone, and it was autocorrected.) So it likely wasn't on other folks' radar if they were searching for Phoibos watches for sale. Similarly, back when I was buying a lot of milsurps in the early to mid 2000s, I got several great deals off Gunbroker on German "Muaser" and "Mouser" rifles. Wink

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
That's a good looking piece.
I'm a sucker for blue & love the orange accent.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
I'm a sucker for blue & love the orange accent.

Yeah, the beat up quartz watch it's replacing was a deep blue as well, so I wanted something with colors along the same lines.

Older photo:

Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Nice Phoibos, Rogue. Great deal

Posts: 3560 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 758 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
That's nice looking, eTripper!

I noticed this evening a Seiko SKX007J1 for almost a thousand dollars. Oh, my gosh! Eek

SRPH43 is getting way too much of my attention right now.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
I noticed this evening a Seiko SKX007J1 for almost a thousand dollars. Oh, my gosh! Eek

See, that's just stupid.

Must be one of those Amazon money laundering schemes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Darn you VT, that SRPH is a real looker. Could pass on the SKX, personally.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
eTripper, what model Phoibos is that?

Posts: 1215 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Looks like a Phoibos Oceanmaster PY005B:

Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

Posts: 1215 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
that SRPH is a real looker.

Reddit is a rabbit hole, man...

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
that SRPH is a real looker.

Reddit is a rabbit hole, man...

5-700 on Chrono24

Must. Resist.
Love my Monster, but that could displace it if I weren't pouring all fun monies into the new toy.

Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
I don't see it on their website so I'm guessing they no longer produce the Ocean Master. I really like it.