SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    New to me - 1970 Olds 442!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to me - 1970 Olds 442! Login/Join 
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I know, right?

Four wheel disc brakes, fuel injection, modified camber geometry, overdrive?

Tell us more! Eek

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys,

Posted the one pic and got launched on a trip. More pics to follow including a video with the hood up and the engine running.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1768 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
She is a weekend cruiser for sure but I am having a blast with it.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1768 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
I found it on Hemmings.com. It was a California car and I had it shipped to me.

The engine has been rebuilt and the only modification is hardened valve heads so it can run on unleaded gas (I still put a lead additive in with every tank).

Behold the 455!

Plato

Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
So to answer more questions - no resto-mod here. As she came from the factory. Power steering was included, and one of the things I love about this car is that when I am parking it and if I get to full lock on the steering I can hear the pump start to whine. Oh, crap, just come off full lock and the pump settles down. One of the many great things about an old car. Crank windows. Useless wipers. All awesome.

And I don't have to tell you guys but the smell - holy cow the smell. When people get in for the first time they always say "This takes me back". My garage smells like the 70s now.

And taking this thing on the road - I have never seen anything like it. People walk up and offer to buy it. People honk horns and wave. It is fantastic. And I can park it anywhere and no one will say a word. "It must be there for a reason..."

It gets better treatment by valets than Lambos and Astons. Those are a dime a dozen here, but the 442...

And someone wanted a rear shot...yes it has the trumpet exhausts.

Plato

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Very nice Smile Thanks for the photos.

Which transmission: Muncie 4-speed manual or Turbo-Hydramatic with Hurst dual-gate shifter?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
The only thing I wish was different...

It has the automatic.

But overall...that is a small thing. All of my buddies can drive it. Smile

I love when I let them fire it up and I say "OK...steering and brakes....just be aware.."

The thing is hoot! Best purchase ever!

Plato

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Wow, not being a restoration is amazing. Thanks for the pics. Now I have to clean the drool off of my screen and keyboard. Have a blast with that beauty.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by furlough:
I love when I let them fire it up and I say "OK...steering and brakes....just be aware.."

Yeah... about that: You might want to be careful who you let drive that bad boy. Today's cars, with front-wheel drive, skid control, traction control, etc. are a lot easier to keep under control under heavy acceleration than that good old Detroit street iron was. Modern muscle cars also tend to have a lot more rubber on the road.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
That valet parking picture is fantastic!

Posts: 10824 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
I'm with Trapper, that valet photo is a crack-up!

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tooky13:
I'm with Trapper, that valet photo is a crack-up!

Of the three cars in that picture I'd take the 442 in a heartbeat. At 74 years old I at least could get in and out of it without help. Big Grin

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by furlough:

Yeah... about that: You might want to be careful who you let drive that bad boy. Today's cars, with front-wheel drive, skid control, traction control, etc. are a lot easier to keep under control under heavy acceleration than that good old Detroit street iron was. Modern muscle cars also tend to have a lot more rubber on the road.

It has been a total of two friends who I have trusted to drive it - with me riding shotgun. Both are guys I have known for years from the AF and have enough hand/eye coordination to keep us out of trouble. And both were respectful enough to not goose it ever - just cruise and get the experience.

I took her out today to put gas in the tank and get some lunch and had two offers to buy it. No thanks! Having too much fun with it!

Plato

Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Last month I accidentally crashed a Mclaren event near me. My buddy and I were out to have drinks and maybe buy
some boots but we ran into this..so of course I ran right into it and crashed it.

Good times!

I love cool cars...and those Mclarens and Lambos are awesome. But I just love the old 442 right in the mix just throwing everything off!

And again the valets said..."Dude, once that 442 showed up no one cared about the Lambos or McLarens. Everyone was all What is that?"

Yeah, that thing is awesome. So much fun.

No seatbelts, A/C "works" but what's really the point, steering whines when you get near full lock, it burns oil, the brakes "work", etc. But damn if that isn't the most fun car to drive and ride around in.

Plato

A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I grew up with cars like that. Love the pics, it's awesome.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One day at a time
Picture of RANGER20
posted Hide Post
WOW that brings back memories... all the good cars I should have kept..... 68 Dodge Charger was one..

Beautiful 442...

Posts: 5499 | Registered: August 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Awesome car, congrats. I've always liked saying Four-Four-Two, a catchy name for a muscle car. Hard to beat classic V8 engines, spoilers, scoops and stripes.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Awesome Olds ! One of my favorite GM cars. Yours is very clean. I had a HS classmate who had one. His was black with white stripes. Love that body style. Congrats to you.

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2745 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I remember back in High School a buddy got a 69 Hurst Olds 442, silver with black strips, brand new.
His Father (who bought the Hurst Olds)rode a motorcycle called a Mammoth, and it certainly was MAMMOTH!
The lines of your 442 remind me of that car.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: armored,

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Really enjoying the car!

Plato