SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    New to me - 1970 Olds 442!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to me - 1970 Olds 442! Login/Join 
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted
She is pretty!

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1768 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
What's under the hood?

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5291 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Wow, that looks mint! Very nice score.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! Did you get that at one of the Barret-Jackson auctions? It looks great, and with a 455 you won't lack for get-up-and-go!

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:
What's under the hood?

That would be a 455 cu. in. Olds "Rocket" V8 with a 4 bbl. Rochester Quadrajet carburetor Big Grin

(Unless a PO replaced the oft-problematic Quadrajet with a Holley drop-in spread-bore replacement.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ensigmatic,

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25987 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Hubba-hubba - that’s fantastic!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
NICE. Cool

Posts: 11505 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:
What's under the hood?

That would be a 455 cu. in. Olds "Rocket" V8 with a 4 bbl. Rochester Quadrajet carburetor Big Grin

(Unless a PO replaced the oft-problematic Quadrajet with a Holley drop-in spread-bore replacement.)

And I even like the color. Big Grin

Posts: 17041 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wait, so you post up ONE pick of the classic 1970 442?

One stinking pic?

Come now you are failing us....

J/K, that is a lovely car, I would enjoy seeing more photos.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Wow, that is gorgeous. All original? We definitely need more pics.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Whoa!!!! VERY NICE! Congrats furlough that is a beautiful 442.

I had a friend in high school who was obsessed with the 442. I once asked him “that stands for 4 door, 4 wheel drive, 2 speed right”. He was not amused by my joke. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21051 | Location: North Carolina  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
For car geeks, some background on the Olds 4-4-2 W30 builds: 1970-72 Olds Cutlass 4-4-2 W-30

One of my best friends used to race a W31 (Olds Cutlass with a 350 CI V8) on Woodward Avenue (in S.E. Michigan). It was not even remotely close to stock Wink (IIRC, it was widely felt to be the 3rd fasted car on Woodward at the time. The two faster cars had L-series engines in them.)

Oldsmobile used to be what I drove, back in the day. First had a '68 Cutlass with a 350 CI 2 bbl. Then a '69 Cutlass with a 350 CI in which we pulled the 2 bbl intake manifold and replaced it with a mildly-polished 4 bbl. intake manifold and a Quadrajet carb. Then, later, a Delta 88 with a 350 CI 4 bbl. (My "pimper" Smile) My father owned a Delta 98 with 455 CI 4 bbl.

Trivia: Oldsmobile pioneered the use of Positive Valve Rotators to increase engine valve life.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25987 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Beautiful car! From the pic it looks like it's been well restored.

My 2nd car was an Olds Delta 88 with a 455 rocket V8 engine. Even though it had the more economical 2-barrel carburetor, it ran like hell. We used to do 100 mph punches and bury the speedometer. I used to average about 18mpg in that car!

Enjoy your 442 and post some more pics when you can.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: h2oys,

Posts: 3695 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Absolutely beautiful car.

Posts: 8999 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
My dad had a Pontiac Catalina that was either a '70 or '71, and it was that same color.

The Catalina was a huge 4 door, but it still had a big V8, and was pretty fast in a straight line. It was the first car I ever drove.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I love how they did the wheels to match the body color. A friend of mine had a farm with outbuildings. I asked him if I could store my car in one of his buildings. I had a numbers matching 71 Monte Carlo SS at the time. He said sure my accountants kid left his car in one of my buildings five years ago and it's been there ever since you can park it next to his.

That car was a 70 Olds 442 just like the op's pic but needed a restore. It was red. Interior was pretty trashed but it was all there body was still decent. Numbers matching from what I could see. Got the kids name and tracked down his number and called asking if he would sell the car.

As he is telling me no, not for sale I'm going to have someone restore it I could hear at least two little kids in the background and his wife screaming at them. I just thought dude you are so far away from ever thinking you are going to have that car restored you will be able to carry it out of that building in a five gallon bucket.

I really wanted that car and pressed him but he wouldn't change his mind. Just as good he probably saved me $15 to $20 grand in a project car. Never knew what happened to it as my friends wife passed he sold the place and moved to Arizona.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8499 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
My first car was a 70 Cutlass. Great car, but your's is nicer.

Posts: 19974 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
very nice .

Posts: 1594 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
We had a Custom Cruise (two actually) with the 455 4-barrel. It towed a trailer to Myrtle Beach from Pittsburgh via Skyline Drive with six kids and a shit-ton of stuff. Of course, gas was 50 cents a gallon or so (I assume).

Such a monster of a vehicle that it had ample room for the rear glass to retract into the roof, and the hatch panel to drop behind the bumper. Pretty great invention.

Posts: 11341 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
Wait, so you post up ONE pick of the classic 1970 442?

One stinking pic?

Come now you are failing us....

J/K, that is a lovely car, I would enjoy seeing more photos.

VERY Nice, but Seriously, we need a little more here...

More Details: Manual or Auto, Gears?

More Pics: Under Hood, a Menacing Front End shot, Launch View (from the rear...Does it have those cool trumpet exhaust tips?

Actually, you should post a video clip....I'd really like to hear the cam/idle! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8756 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post