SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    What did you do today in reloading-land?
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 98
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What did you do today in reloading-land? Login/Join 
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I tinkered with the lead pot today between interruptions.
Managed to cast 32# of forty's ,should net right at 1000 bullets.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
178gr AMAX.

Not impressed.

UPDATE:

Still not impressed.

Did the OCW on both the 168 and 178 AMAX today using Varget. I was expecting more than I got.

The 168s I ran the following loads: All loaded to 2.800" as I was looking for a magazine length loading.

Sighters
---------

45.1, 45.5, 45.9, 46.3 (3ea)

I started getting very faint extractor marks at 45.9. Too bad as this was the best group of the day at about 3/8". It was running about 2800fps at 28.00" and 40F. I might bump it back a few tenths and see if it holds and the marks disappear.

Lots of "Err2" on the Chrony with these. The sun angle was playing havoc with the sensors for a while.

The 178s were the following: All were loaded .020' off the lands.

Sighters
----------

44.2, 44.6, 45.0, 45.4 (3ea)

I ran this test first so the Chrony was acting fine. Ran into the same issue with extractor wipes at 45.0 and 45.4. Both those were smoking along at about 2700fps. Good lesson on the pressure signs though. I actually had never seen this before.

The best I got with these was about 1/2" at 44.6. Those were running about 2690fps. Still on the warm side compared to my 43.2/RE15/175smk which was running about 2550 today.

All the OCW loads seemed to congregate at the 7-8 o'clock area. Don't know if that was self induced or not.

The highlight of the day was my coldbore shot using the 175smk load. It was downhill from there! I might try tweaking a couple of these a bit, but seriously just considering buying a bucket of MatchKings and going with that for now. They seem to work. I'd much rather be shooting and learning than shooting and farting around with more load development.

First we must clean the firing position!

Cold bore 175smk 100yds.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: entropy,

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
If you like cold bore shots, March 1st is a 1-shot 600 yard competition here.

$10 a shot. One shot per person per rifle, closest to bullseye takes it.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Loads seem a bit hot with the 178. I got nice groups in the 44Gr range with that bullet around 2640 fps. I still don't like it as well as the 175 SMK, but I haven't done extensive work with it.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Necked down 300pcs of new Lapua 6.5x47 to 6x47. Easy-peasy, squirt some One Shot on the cases, single pass with a full length 6x47 die.

Nice cold bore shot entropy!

exx1976, you going to enter the cold bore comp? Sounds like fun!

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Actually, I'm not.. I have had my rifle in pieces lately changing stuff around, moving rings, adding a level, All sorts of stuff. Haven't had an opportunity to get it zeroed since, between work and the weather. They are calling for 14" of snow tomorrow, so that won't help either...

On the 15th is an autoloader shoot. 5 shot groups at 100, 200, and 300. 4 winners - one at each distance, and 1st place for add them all up smallest total size. I'm going to do that one with my 223 wylde.

Then on the 2nd is a 400 yard 5 shot group bolt gun match, I'm going to try to do that one. I figure I can zero there since they allow sighter shots.

On the 23rd is an indoor double-elimination bowling pin shoot. That should be fun, definitely doing that.

3 gun starts in April, that'll be nice.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
They are calling for 14" of snow tomorrow, so that won't help either...

Got out of there just in time. Have to work Saturday morning, I could easily see myself getting stuck up there for a day or two.

Working first week of March pretty solid. Frown

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Well I got 38 more pounds cast yesterday of forty caliber.
I am going to keep hammering them out to get a five gallon bucket full Big Grin

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
ordered some Hornady Amax 208 grains, and some Sierra MK 190's. Playing around with different loads for my 308 with RL17.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Managed to find 4# of WST for $69 and 1k of large pistol primer (at a price I don't want to discuss).

They also had 8# of lil'gun and 8# of 296, but I left those there. No need right now, still hunting for AA1680..

No Varget or CFE-223. Good selection of rifle bullets, but nothing in the niche I'm looking for, and some pistol bullets, but again, nothing I'm specifically looking for.

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Aw c'mon exx, tell us how much you paid for the LPP. Inquiring minds want to know if you got a reach around or not. Wink

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
Picked up 4lbs of H335 and 2lbs of Varget.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3437 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
Aw c'mon exx, tell us how much you paid for the LPP. Inquiring minds want to know if you got a reach around or not. Wink

It wasn't THAT bad, and the way a lot of people on here talk, I'm sure some of them would even consider it reasonable. Anything more than $25/k and I'm not happy though.

They were $37.50/k.

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
That's high. I'll be going to a gunshow in Phoenix Sunday and a company called MiWall will be there.

They sell factory ammo, their own commercial reloads, powder, bullets and primers.

I guarantee you their LPP will be $27.95 for winchester and $24.95 for CCI.

It's a regional thing, though.

I feel your pain.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Well I cast another 35 pounds of forties.
Three days and my left arm is very tired.

Picture of oldseabag860
posted Hide Post
Just received 500 rds Hornady .223 match bullets and 3 lbs H 322 powder, Guess what I'll be doing today?

"NO TWENTY TWO FOR YOU"

Posts: 269 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: January 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldseabag860:
Just received 500 rds Hornady .223 match bullets and 3 lbs H 322 powder, Guess what I'll be doing today?

Washing your car? Roll Eyes

Picture of DEC505
posted Hide Post
Picked up two more 4 hole turrets and another pro auto disc powder measure.

Slowly keep building supplys and equipment.

Hell has no fury like a liberal
confronted with reality

Posts: 814 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Too cold to shoot. Decided to reload some 30-30s for my grandfather's Win. 94. It's been a safe queen for 50+ years and time to clean out the barrel dust.

Posts: 342 | Location: Northern Minnesota or Southern Texas | Registered: February 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yesterday I was planning on melting down a couple hundred pounds of lead wheel weights, but the wind was too strong. So I resorted to sorting the last batch of 300 wheel weights, was extremely happy that out of the roughly 180 lbs. that I went through only had about 10 lbs. of zinc, steel, valves-stem parts.

Posts: 38 | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post