SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Do you consider the cost of the gun you carry?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you consider the cost of the gun you carry? Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted
I for one would think twice about carrying a really nice expensive firearm on a regular basis.

Sure the better gun will shoot better, look nicer and make me feel good when I pull it out but...

it is a tool in these circumstances not an object of affection.

Additionally, I imagine many also consider what could happen to a collector and/or really nice one such as theft, damage or confiscation if in the event it were ever used.

Not an excuse for carrying a throw-away but in as much as I wouldn't mind carrying a nice P210 carry, DWX or CZ Shadow 2 compact, a killer 1911 commander ~ somehow I don't think I would want to worry about the gun itself.
Priority is to carry the best defense weapon you can and there are plenty of more economical and effective choices.

What say you?
Carry a nice $3-4K plus firearm...regularly? Confused

Posts: 22953 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny timing as I was just thinking about this. It would really upset me if my new CQB were confiscated because I had to shoot some idiot.

Posts: 657 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
It has occurred to me from time-to-time, but, I tend not to buy many high-end firearms in the first place, so not so much an issue for me.

<thinking...>

The only thing I carry that's very expensive is the 1st Generation SIG P239 SAS in .40 S&W my wife gave me for Christmas years ago. And that one would concern me more for its sentimental value than its market value. For that reason I very rarely carry it anymore. Can't recall the last time I did, really.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I like to shoot all of my guns and have no real safe queens. Having said that I don't want to put holster wear on very expensive guns and sweat all over them just for the sake of carrying something fancy. I have plastic guns that are accurate and reliable for that.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
While not $3000+, my current EDC is a WCV Gen 5 Glock 19. No worries, I'm carrying it daily. If it does its job and has to go in the evidence room for a bit, my spare one will get the nod.

Then I'll order another one.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1899 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
It has occurred to me from time-to-time, but, I tend not to buy many high-end firearms in the first place, so not so much an issue for me.

Same here. Aside from a couple of 1911's that are range toys all of my pistols were less that $500 apiece.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
My concern if flying with an expensive gun in my luggage. Don't travel with any expensive models.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1571 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never worried about an expensive gun being confiscated. If I ever was involved in a shooting, just being alive would offset any concerns about losing an expensive pistol.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I factor it in. No sense losing a high $$$ or collectible gun in a legal hassle. My carry guns are all shooters, not collectors.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16132 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the gun that I shoot 50% better shows up then no.

But but I have not dot one yet,
So it's not a concern.

I remember shooting a Springfield custom shop pro once
I did shoot it very well.

Better than any gun I own.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54715 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Yes. After they stopped production of the P239 I started thinking about. I really wanted another single stack but the times, they are a changin'. A Gen5 Glock 26 w/ 10,12, or 15 rnds w/ an X-grip goes inside the belt now.

Posts: 7384 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaybirdaccountant:
I've never worried about an expensive gun being confiscated. If I ever was involved in a shooting, just being alive would offset any concerns about losing an expensive pistol.

Same here. I have carried a few different Wilson Combat 1911s as well as a few different Ed Brown 1911s and didn’t think twice. I currently mostly carry a P365, Glock 19, or a J frame 642.

Posts: 2976 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
If I wanted to carry a $5000 pistol, I would.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37120 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I do. Love my Legions but they are range guns only.

That said, I don’t cheap out on my carry gun(s). Need to be effective and reliable, but reasonably easy to replace (both cost and availability) should worst case scenario happen.

Most frequent carry is P365, already have multiples of that one. When I can, P320 - readily available as well.

Less frequent are the DA/SA HKs for those times I want a hammer fired with re-strike capability (zombie apocalypse/city of Seattle).

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10963 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its something I certainly think about but it doesn't stop me. If I wind up needing to use it, it has paid for itself. It does however help me identify what I need copies of in my safe in case one of my guns goes to gun jail.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I don't worry about it, but then again the really expensive stuff doesn't really meet my needs for a carry gun anyway. A $500-$700 Glock or Sig does everything I need in a lighter, more robust, and more reliable manner than a tricked out competition gun ever would.

"Tool" guns have stuff like night sights, drop-safeties, and tolerances optimized for reliability....not necessarily the priority for a precision or high-end competition piece.

Posts: 8680 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I don't consider myself to be a collector or all that enthusiastic about shooting as a sport. My guns were purchased for self defense. Another "tool owner" here.

They need to be safe and reliable and reasonably accurate for their intended purpose. The size and capacity also need to be within a range for me.
There are a large number of options that fit under the $800 price point. I figure I will spend at least a few hundred dollars in ammo practicing and getting comfortable with the reliability I want so I'm confident in carrying any particular gun. So guns that are at the lower end price-wise have no appeal to me. Theft isn't a concern as I never leave one in an unattended car/truck and anyone breaking into my house better have some time on their hands to successfully remove it.

In the highly unlikely event that I need to shoot someone, the cost of the weapon, even if it was never returned, isn't an issue worth considering.

With all of that in mind, my inventory consists of a couple of metal Sig's and one in plastic, Glocks and a S&W M&P.

Posts: 9557 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
i Do NOT caryy my collector guns But i do consider what i carry on Reliabilty and how i shoot them.

Posts: 1605 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Where I live, if you shoot someone they come take (or you surrender) everything, so it doesn't matter if was on your belt or in the safe. Frown

Posts: 21123 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
The S&W 640 thread in the pistols section got me thinking about this question again this morning. I don't own any truly high-end expensive guns, but my 640 Pro is a pretty expensive J-Frame at around $900, and actually pretty near the top of the list for all the handguns that I own by price.

I carry that gun every day in some capacity or other, because the upgrades are all practical and effective to the point that it carries and shoots better than any of my other J-Frames. So no, I really don't consider the cost...I didn't even think about it until these two threads came up lol.

Posts: 8680 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post